New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple of questions:

* Why was that big old beast being removed?

* Does old mate number 3 have a reinforced cranium?

* Do your glasses fog up regularly (serious question)? Have had a life of outdoor pursuits & friends with glasses have always struggled with spectacle management.

Lol. Spectacle management. That’s cute.

Lol. Spectacle management. That’s cute.

Spectacles & whitewater kayaking....

Memories of remote river trips with a friend having to duct tape his glasses to his head prior to whitewater sections, or getting recirculated around in a vicious hole, even time he came up for air, had a moment to push his glasses back on, then would get sucked under again....

Or scouting big rapids, working out lines, I'd say "watch out for that rock hiding under there, have to hook hard river left" and look around to see old mate completely fogged up saying "what rock, I can't see ****....", then we'd run the rapid & he would plough straight into the said rock!!

Worked on this way dead ash and a couple other smaller trees growing out of a barn hidden down there. I was pissed, had no choice but to pack up early at 3:30 for an estimate just as she was finally starting to fold. I could’ve easily had her topped out in another hour and a half or whatever. 3:30 is like antelope by the throat and bringing it down (hard) thirty lol. We really have got these super dead ash down to a science though, that’s for sure.
View attachment 1004424View attachment 1004425View attachment 1004426View attachment 1004427
other than the heat today, that tree doesnt look like a project for you.

Couple of questions:

* Why was that big old beast being removed?

* Does old mate number 3 have a reinforced cranium?

* I thought you didn't need any 'help', wasn't super Pa, distiller extraordinaire, going to multi task his bollocks off? Extra 'help' invariably means 'more things get broken'!!

* Do your glasses fog up regularly (serious question)? Have had a life of outdoor pursuits & friends with glasses have always struggled with spectacle management.

Time for mechanical advantage with those sort of jobs - articulated loader or skid steer, you would have it done in a day & not blow up Pa so quickly.
Got a tractor to handle the wood, bought an 881 to mill, and helper dude will have his own hard hat for the next job
No idea why they wanted a removal, just said "cut this thing down"

Pa is enough sometimes, but having 2 groundies is sweet
And no, my glasses don't normally fog up

Attachments

• f3fb94c2-ae9f-4230-a302-f28638639274MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_.jpeg
    f3fb94c2-ae9f-4230-a302-f28638639274MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_.jpeg
    858.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220720_194240.jpg
    20220720_194240.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
Rough day today. Usually equipment seems to break in sets of 3. Yikes. All a regular part of the life of a tree man! Tomorrow is a good day to have a good day.

Nice Kubota, hopefully a good deal on it? Eventually, you'll want to spend a few more bucks on a 3rd function kit, skid steer quick attach, and grapple. Oh and don't forget a winch on the back!

Late day/night. All I got for y’all is some random pics from today. Too tired to explain. Was a good job, right in my comfort zone. We left the big (petrified, baseball bat hard) trunk shaved up tastefully, and drilled and installed a new clothesline fir the old guy. Regular dude, used to work for the power company climbing poles, then buckets when they arrived. Few houses up the road from me.
93FCE490-0F5E-4824-AC6A-2D57D54A9812.jpeg39242419-DC54-4E5B-B34C-571E02A12760.jpeg3E553E7E-E547-40FC-909A-9B013A2F6C3E.jpeg5505D7E9-5965-428A-8C73-CC0F70777976.jpeg6E3F5329-351F-4298-860F-550EC5F13F8D.jpeg
D47FDF49-DE71-4C1D-99CC-EBF28C0320AA.jpeg

4 days of straight storm damage relief. There was so much clean up debris I borrowed my friends scag windstorm. It sure is a weapon. It just fits on the 14' dump trailor with the baby giant on it. It saved so much time on the cleanup. The windstorm in conjunction with the BMG scoops is a deadly combo. The rakes didn't come out once today.

Attachments

• 20220721_174423.jpg
    20220721_174423.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220721_174459.jpg
    20220721_174459.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Rough day today. Usually equipment seems to break in sets of 3. Yikes. All a regular part of the life of a tree man! Tomorrow is a good day to have a good day.

Nice Kubota, hopefully a good deal on it? Eventually, you'll want to spend a few more bucks on a 3rd function kit, skid steer quick attach, and grapple. Oh and don't forget a winch on the back!
Kubota is a rental, 190 per day, got 2 days, worth every penny, split the price with the helped dude since he used it to load the logs for firewood (he kept the firewood, I kept the big log to mill)

Put the winch on the grapple, and then it is a lot more versatile. Load big wood into the grapple while reaching over a 6' tall fence. Neat stuff like that. I doubt I would ever need a winch on the rear, and not nearly as often as I do on the front grapple.

That little kubota can't lift a fly, my money is on the rental yard turning the relief valve down a Lot, if I really tried and used the curl function and only lifted off the corner of the bucket I could get 1 rear tire up, but that's it, also they have it welded into 4wd so it just tears everything up when turning

A grapple on the front would make it nearly useless, maybe if I got a bigger tractor it would be fine, but a mini skid will lift more, and fits through a gate, and fits in my trailer better
That kubota is a tight squeeze in a 7x14

Attachments

• 20220721_215220.jpg
    20220721_215220.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
Maybe, still rather a mini skid with a branch manager, went into vermeer to look at them the other day and they didn't have any, depending on the monthly rate I will get one, since I got a guy to bring it to jobs now

4 days of straight storm damage relief. There was so much clean up debris I borrowed my friends scag windstorm. It sure is a weapon. It just fits on the 14' dump trailor with the baby giant on it. It saved so much time on the cleanup. The windstorm in conjunction with the BMG scoops is a deadly combo. The rakes didn't come out once today.

That 'Scag Windstorm' is a new machine to me.

A stand on blower is next level!!

What broke?

Put the winch on the grapple, and then it is a lot more versatile. Load big wood into the grapple while reaching over a 6' tall fence. Neat stuff like that. I doubt I would ever need a winch on the rear, and not nearly as often as I do on the front grapple.
What does your front grapple winch set up look like? It's a hydro winch mounted on top?

I had something like this in mind for the rear on the PTO https://www.northeastimplement.com/farmi-winches

What broke?

Something underneath the tractor cracked and starting spitting hydro fluid. Sent for a rollback to tow it away. Hopefully will get back tuesday.
Mini skid kept overheating
Someone lost a top handle saw at the dump.
Woodchuck chipper radiator fan blade broke, making it unusable. Fixed today.
Vermeer stump grinder belt went. Need to order more.
One of the jobs was underbid by my foreman where a couple of these things broke.
Worst all all, the tranny on my f350 flatbed truck went out. Lost reverse. I limped it the hour drive home to the mechanic! Was glad to not have to tow it.

I should say it was over the course of 2 days. Thankfully, we did get all 5 jobs done. I'm grateful for that! It was around 7000 in sales, which is probably close to what I'm looking at in repairs as that tranny will probably be pretty spendy.

Having said all that, there are a lot of great days where we do very well. No one was hurt. And company morale is generally very good. We have a great team and they are on a nice gravy job today to lick their wounds! Lots to be thankful for. Sometimes it's nice to commiserate on these things with fellow treemen like yourselves.

That scag blower looks nice!!

Back