New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@mikewhite85
New pipeline ROW? If so, that’s the kind I enjoy. The property owners all have gotten a nice check and aren’t to grouchy yet
Yeah. It's basically the access roads that go to the pads. The trees overhang and impede the water trucks. 2 crews accomplished about 1.5 miles yesterday. It's pretty rural and there are a few hunting cabins on the way. It seems to be pretty gravy so far. Only tough part is the 45 day wait on invoices. Really grateful for thr opportunity.

Nice when you can show up to a good sized job 3/4 loaded and still manage to pack everything in (with a little rearranging). Nobody thought it was gonna fit it all. Ha. (Gotta make sure I get my $’s worth at the dump, of course)

And one of the steeper, more abrupt hills I’ve had to take the potty lift up.

So I didn’t have time to pick up the lift from the job yesterday. Looks like I’ll have to use the old one today and run back out and grab the newer one at the end of the day. Lol, sickness has its advantages sometimes.:laugh:
CB3DEC44-D42E-4D6C-9C73-33BA5C6FD72D.jpegD001557F-14E3-4EB6-8055-1E06024F183C.jpegA0B0F318-F037-4410-BC85-466BB344566F.jpeg

I think buckets are slowly becoming more and more obsolete in the residential market. I was talking with another guy that used to own two rear mount elevator buckets and a spider, and he recently sold the older bucket to buy a second spider. We both agreed that it’s almost like buckets are becoming obsolete unless you’re doing municipal work.
My boss at the tree company I worked for 11 years ago was saying that same thing. He had a Italmec spider lift he bought in 2008. Talk about ahead of his time.

they said it couldnt be done
made $900 by 10am, im still alive, didnt even sweat
every time I moved or used the tree to turn myself pieces of wood the size of my arm would fall off from the tree moving so much (3-4ft just wrapping slings around it!)
1663170432720.png
1663170454021.png
1663170482924.png
1663170500277.png
1663170506042.png

I cut down a really dead elm today (no crane required) and some other stuff, then sold a couple grand trim job next door, then got my other lift back from out in the sticks. Then I went out and sold five spruce takedowns for $5900. Pretty good day overall. How we roll baby.
908C8414-56EF-4561-A8CF-9450C158E89F.jpeg

My boss at the tree company I worked for 11 years ago was saying that same thing. He had a Italmec spider lift he bought in 2008. Talk about ahead of his time.

Yeah man! My babies kick some serious ass, no doubt the wave of the future. Sometimes things just make sense and you can’t deny their effectiveness. Lol,, even old trivet choked on his hypocrisy and bought that lame cmc. Lol

I would also say that tree cutting is not a good business to be in if you are afraid of dying. It really isn’t a business for good natured day to day run of the mill goobers. Just my opinion. There’s something different going on with us. We really don’t have much choice. Just saying.

I would also say that tree cutting is not a good business to be in if you are afraid of dying. It really isn’t a business for good natured day to day run of the mill goobers. Just my opinion. There’s something different going on with us. We really don’t have much choice. Just saying.
Your not kidding there. We are a breed of our own. The things we do for a dollar. Sometimes I wonder about us. Lol

saves me paying taxes the rest of my life

This week's job. Flopped 6 pines and staged for a 1590xp track chipper from another local tree company. My brother went to school with the owners son so I guess we have an in. Looking forward to seeing this machine in action. We will be shooting the chips of the bluff into the woods.

I'll try to take some action shots of the chipping on Friday. The sight is so inaccessible I can barely get the giant to the work site. It's a 10 min round trip to where the logs have to be staged.

I don't think I put a high enough price on this job. Were at 2.5 days and still have to chip and 4 more mill logs to forward to the staging area . Job was bid at $7,200. I think $9,200 would have been the sweet spot. Still a half day to go. Who else is going to do this kind of work?

Attachments

• 20220913_122452.jpg
    20220913_122452.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220913_131521.jpg
    20220913_131521.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220914_104316.jpg
    20220914_104316.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220914_125818.jpg
    20220914_125818.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220914_142358.jpg
    20220914_142358.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
they said it couldnt be done
made $900 by 10am, im still alive, didnt even sweat
every time I moved or used the tree to turn myself pieces of wood the size of my arm would fall off from the tree moving so much (3-4ft just wrapping slings around it!)
View attachment 1017044
View attachment 1017045
View attachment 1017046
View attachment 1017047
View attachment 1017048

Gutsy.

That log cabin is kind of scary.

Can see Pa'w in the fifth shot "Son. We's gonna break out the special batch when's you done swinging all about on that 'traption".

I'm 40 and trees are tuff but as times gone on the job has gotten easier and I've got harder. Office job people don't get it the guys my age are soft and weak. No thanks I made the right call. When I'm older I can just run 1 machine it's no work at all. Mini skid- grapple loader truck are not hard work. I have no joint pain and blood pressure that may b too low in great shape for age and size.

Spider lifts are amazing machines. One would have come exceptionally handy for a big white oak we did last week.

The tough part is price! What's funny though is a new spider lift costs LESS than a new bucket truck. But it seems like your traditional bucket truck lasts a lot longer and an older used one can still be reliable and much less expensive. I mean, you can spend 25k on a 15 year old bucket and still have a decently reliable truck. I wouldn't want to get anywhere near a 25k spider lift!

As spider lifts become less expensive and more long term reliable- I think they do have the potential to replace bucket trucks.... maybe someday we'll get one!

Latest posts

Back