New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a separate note… I love that mini giant more and more every time I use it. What a great little machine!

Not sure I would’ve wanted a machine that small before I got the log truck, (unless maybe I went the hook lift route), but it really is a great tree machine for forwarding logs and feeding the chipper. Like the ideal treeman’s best friend.

On a separate note… I love that mini giant more and more every time I use it. What a great little machine!

Not sure I would’ve wanted a machine that small before I got the log truck, (unless maybe I went the hook lift route), but it really is a great tree machine for forwarding logs and feeding the chipper. Like the ideal treeman’s best friend.
Sounds like a sweet machine.

Sometimes I try to remember what it was like before we had forwarding equipment. It was tough but we were ripped!!!

Work for us has basically slowed to a halt. How are you guys doing?

Unfortunately I bought a trailer instead if renting a chipper (down payment was a week chipper rental, monthly is a daily chipper)

Would love the experience of learning a chipper
Depending on what type of tree work you do mostly, a dump trailer can be cheaper in the long run... a trailer doesn't need fuel, registration, C.A.R.B. compliance in California, repair, knife maintenance, etc... we've found that sometimes it's more cost effective to just load it and pay green waste fee at the dump. Yes, the convenience of processing material and dumping chip's free almost anywhere is nice. But it does come with a price... especially with new computerized engines and emission compliance...

Depending on what type of tree work you do mostly, a dump trailer can be cheaper in the long run... a trailer doesn't need fuel, registration, C.A.R.B. compliance in California, repair, knife maintenance, etc... we've found that sometimes it's more cost effective to just load it and pay green waste fee at the dump. Yes, the convenience of processing material and dumping chip's free almost anywhere is nice. But it does come with a price... especially with new computerized engines and emission compliance...
very old message quoted
I still have the trailer, got a bandit 250xp, bucket truck (forestry body), mini skid, and dump chips for free now
I spend LESS in fuel running the chipper than I do with the trailer, we can get 2 trailer loads of brush off a job in a day if we are lucky, vs about 40 trailer loads chipped, packing brush into a trailer takes that much longer than chipping, and I am always guaranteed free dump usually within 10 minutes of the job instead of the 30-45 minute drive to the dump, and we dont get nails in tires now that we dont go to the dump

very old message quoted
I still have the trailer, got a bandit 250xp, bucket truck (forestry body), mini skid, and dump chips for free now
I spend LESS in fuel running the chipper than I do with the trailer, we can get 2 trailer loads of brush off a job in a day if we are lucky, vs about 40 trailer loads chipped, packing brush into a trailer takes that much longer than chipping, and I am always guaranteed free dump usually within 10 minutes of the job instead of the 30-45 minute drive to the dump, and we dont get nails in tires now that we dont go to the dump
for context, I can run my chipper for a week on a 40 gallon tank of diesel, and can chip roughly ten 7 yard trailer loads of brush into my 14 yard chip box, so one tenth the trips to dump, dump is always closer and free, and chipping is 10-20 times faster than filling the dump trailer by hand

You know how it is here Mike, never slows!
Jeff :cheers:
One of the things I miss about the Golden state.... and the Mexican food!

I don't miss the traffic. Yikes!

I'm currently trying to be more like you guys these days and load up on commercial work for the winter! I have a bunch of large bids out and am waiting on the decision process. Cemeteries, townships, and golf courses take their time.

This thread just got very exciting. Thank you treevet for gracing us with your presence. By the way, love that you coined the phrase potty lift! All of us fake tree guys can now go play with the big boys with our potty lifts!

Merry Christmas to all and all a great year "2023" ahead. 2023 is going to be kick ass.

Looking at getting into an Avant 860I with full cab w. AC and heat. Anybody run anything like that or hear anything? I'd look into the giants but imo the teli boom is a must. Giant doesn't make a teli model in-between. Its either the smallest or the biggest w. The teli boom.

MDS what's your lift capacity/curb weight on your Pappa giant? Just trying to compare it with the avant 860I. Thanks.

This thread just got very exciting. Thank you treevet for gracing us with your presence. By the way, love that you coined the phrase potty lift! All of us fake tree guys can now go play with the big boys with our potty lifts!

Merry Christmas to all and all a great year "2023" ahead. 2023 is going to be kick ass.

Looking at getting into an Avant 860I with full cab w. AC and heat. Anybody run anything like that or hear anything? I'd look into the giants but imo the teli boom is a must. Giant doesn't make a teli model in-between. Its either the smallest or the biggest w. The teli boom.

MDS what's your lift capacity/curb weight on your Pappa giant? Just trying to compare it with the avant 860I. Thanks.

From memory, I think the 6004t is like 10,500lbs. 4400lbs lift capacity. The grapple and backing plate weigh 800 or 850lbs. So subtract basically 800 and I figure it can still pick 3600lbs (or thereabouts). Pretty retarded, seems like three times the mini (which is still impressive enough in its own right).

Honestly, the big machine is fun to have, but now that I have the log truck it almost seems like I don’t need the 6004 for day to day tree work. I’m not sure you would see enough ROI with a bigger machine to make it worth it? Have you thought about a good, used medium duty hook lift like epicklein22 was looking for?

Hope everyone's new year is off to a great start. A little soggy and strangely warm over here (almost 50 degrees). Ironic that it was below 0 a week ago.

Did a couple easy bucket jobs today. All my guys are taking EHAP and becoming certified flaggers (penndot requirement) during the winter lull. I had not previously certified with EHAP and learned a lot. Have 2 guys getting trained for class a CDLs also. Another is starting the CTSP program and will hopefully pass his ISA CA exam on his second shot coming up. This is getting expensive but will be worth it. Hopefully they don't all quit after leveling up! haha

What's funny is the more I learn about OSHA and ANSI Z133, the more I realize I need to do to become more compliant. It's kind of a scary can of worms.

Hope everyone's new year is off to a great start. A little soggy and strangely warm over here (almost 50 degrees). Ironic that it was below 0 a week ago.

Did a couple easy bucket jobs today. All my guys are taking EHAP and becoming certified flaggers (penndot requirement) during the winter lull. I had not previously certified with EHAP and learned a lot. Have 2 guys getting trained for class a CDLs also. Another is starting the CTSP program and will hopefully pass his ISA CA exam on his second shot coming up. This is getting expensive but will be worth it. Hopefully they don't all quit after leveling up! haha

What's funny is the more I learn about OSHA and ANSI Z133, the more I realize I need to do to become more compliant. It's kind of a scary can of worms.
what's funny is reading your post and all the acronyms for all the certifications! :laugh:

A giant can of worms it is. I attained my CTSP a little over three years ago. Working on my ISA CA now. Don’t forget that for the EHAP you’ll need aerial rescue and CPR training. And how are you getting guys to get a CDL A? We have a hard enough time finding guys with a valid drivers license. Class A is next to impossible to find. We do have two young guys enrolled in classes for that right now.
I will say that since we’ve implemented a safety and training program, we’ve had a lot less “ incidents “. We did have a few injuries this year and those I say we’re from over confidence and pride. Also ( this is going to sound bad ) with 40 field employees, kind of expected. I did do accident reports and investigations on both. Safety meetings with the entire company about both. We also have a weekly meeting on property damage (minor stuff mostly) and “near misses”. Paperwork and pictures or videos for what seems like everything now. It seems like a giant PITA at first but really has been helpful.

Latest posts

Back