New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes indeed. I was admiring that marl holding the butt tie. I believe I can see some chainsaw notches to hold that rope in the right spot?

I've always had problems making those cuts the right shape. My rope always seems to either bind in the cut and not slip right, or slide out like I never put the notch there at all.

Yes indeed. I was admiring that marl holding the butt tie. I believe I can see some chainsaw notches to hold that rope in the right spot?

I've always had problems making those cuts the right shape. My rope always seems to either bind in the cut and not slip right, or slide out like I never put the notch there at all.

Yeah, old school false crotch on the but line. The limb was more brush heavy than butt heavy, so the rope slid up the butt a little. I kind of saw that coming, so I had a rope up high, left a big hinge and had the second ground guy break it once I flew the lift out of there. Most of the time I take those cuts right to the trunk, so there’s a nice crotch to hold the butt line, obviously not possible with a top like that.

Yeah, Mike, been going easy on the grcs this year, haven’t really needed it much, when I do it’s a life saver though!

I did my first project at a cemetery, lucky it was close enough to road to reach everything with the bucket but with little to no landing zone it was interesting. I ended up speed lining the vast majority of the 5" minus and then lowered everything else with the portawrap.

These big maples are just the worst for being rotten down here.

Attachments

• 20230715_122623.jpg
    20230715_122623.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230715_122633.jpg
    20230715_122633.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230720_082841.jpg
    20230720_082841.jpg
    854.3 KB · Views: 0
Seeing that mini giant roll out of the chip truck while chipper is still attached was pretty slick. What kind of ramps are those?

That was the thing that caught my mind the most, the mini g unloading deal. I guess you’d either have to make the dump with the wood and chips before going home, or dump things in the morning and pick up equipment from said previous job, and move directly to next job? (Probably most efficient?).

Just submitted the largest bid I've done to date. 2 miles of clearcut 75' off centerline of a gas pad access road. Tough terrain, mostly handwork. I anticipate it to be a 2 month job, which they need completed before the snow flies. We'll see what happens. Commercial work has been difficult to bid but I'm hopefully getting the hang of it.

That was the thing that caught my mind the most, the mini g unloading deal. I guess you’d either have to make the dump with the wood and chips before going home, or dump things in the morning and pick up equipment from said previous job, and move directly to next job? (Probably most efficient?).
Because we only work in a 15mile radius of home base I know where all of the dump sites are. I usually dump before going back to the shop or pick up baby giant in the am.

This has saved us a lot of time over the two years we have ran this set up. I always wanted a two truck operation. Dodge 2500 tows the lift, chip truck hauls the chipper with baby giant inside. 19xpc ensures that we don't haul logs often with the dump trailor. Chip everything!

Because we only work in a 15mile radius of home base I know where all of the dump sites are. I usually dump before going back to the shop or pick up baby giant in the am.

This has saved us a lot of time over the two years we have ran this set up. I always wanted a two truck operation. Dodge 2500 tows the lift, chip truck hauls the chipper with baby giant inside. 19xpc ensures that we don't haul logs often with the dump trailor. Chip everything!

It’s a very nice setup indeed. I was just thinking out loud, not criticizing in any way.

The thing that scares me about chipping everything is you never know what people have put in that last ten feet or so. Sometimes I’ll run the saw up and down a log lengthwise if it looks suspect. Better dull a saw than **** up the chipper!

This thing is a ridiculous over-expenditure, but sure comes in handy when you get into big jobs. My mid life crisis log truck lol. 8912B053-642F-467F-B408-27D4092D53CA.jpeg

It’s a very nice setup indeed. I was just thinking out loud, not criticizing in any way.

The thing that scares me about chipping everything is you never know what people have put in that last ten feet or so. Sometimes I’ll run the saw up and down a log lengthwise if it looks suspect. Better dull a saw than **** up the chipper!

This thing is a ridiculous over-expenditure, but sure comes in handy when you get into big jobs. My mid life crisis log truck lol. View attachment 1104166
Ya no worries, you make a good point. I do keep an eye out for anything that might go through the chipper but I don't have x-ray vision.

It's nice when you can have all the tools you need even if they sit most of the time!

Ya no worries, you make a good point. I do keep an eye out for anything that might go through the chipper but I don't have x-ray vision.

It's nice when you can have all the tools you need even if they sit most of the time!

I think of it like an auto body shop might not use their spray booth everyday, but when needed it’s the difference between sucking around somebody else that does have one, or doing it in house with peace of mind and style.

Rain day today so we got a chance to maintain the lift (grease and oil change). Everything but the rotation can be done in the shop. Is pretty nice. I also had the guys spend some time cleaning up the old grease on the machine too.

I told my Ecuadorian buddy that the other guy (in pic) is the reason Americans ship jobs overseas lol. Sometimes I have to laugh at my own jokes, but I know I’m damn funny, so I laugh anyway lol!!
4D746481-6ECB-4330-AD6D-9826CE9BB406.jpeg

Latest posts

Back