New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
71409999022__5239525F-5444-4CC0-8AAC-3ADBDB324358.jpeg
Ctx100 and the reliable 650tx ready for tomorrow morning. Only work related pics I’ve taken in a while. There are a couple hundred pics of Tim McGraw and Winona Judd that my wife took last weekend while we enjoyed the concerts

I was hoping to see some rigging pics from you guys! Just saying…

P.S., or equipment picks… something!!🙁

Did a job for some good friends yesterday, half price, but it was fun.

Bombing big sections on a Tas bluegum, no rigging, just sending. Husband was supposed to be helping on the ground, but his knee was sore apparently….

So the Italian was sweating on the ground keeping up. Accumulated ribbons of bark on the big bluegums are a nuisance & have the potential to cause one to come unstuck in the tree.

Friend just come back from a work trip setting up rope access stuff in northern BC (Canada). Apparently the drug issues & work ethics of the Canadians make our Australian work force look good!! That’s saying something.

45E718A4-0444-4B5F-A433-8437E690116D.jpeg

EF6359CD-989C-4E2B-A455-D58FA64CC605.jpeg

View attachment 1105926
Ctx100 and the reliable 650tx ready for tomorrow morning. Only work related pics I’ve taken in a while. There are a couple hundred pics of Tim McGraw and Winona Judd that my wife took last weekend while we enjoyed the concerts
I like it. Not built as tough as the old ones though. Got to be a bit more gentle or the hood gets dented🤬

Some nice action shots though it feels like crickets around here!

Nice crane job tomorrow with a 55 ton. Steep grade. Will require some significant cribbing. Pretty easy hemlock and some ash. Everyone's got senna 33i now. After spending 2500 I'm hoping it's better than the smh10.

Some nice action shots though it feels like crickets around here!

Nice crane job tomorrow with a 55 ton. Steep grade. Will require some significant cribbing. Pretty easy hemlock and some ash. Everyone's got senna 33i now. After spending 2500 I'm hoping it's better than the smh10.
I'm curious to hear what the difference is. Did you have problems with too many people on the smh10?

I'm curious to hear what the difference is. Did you have problems with too many people on the smh10?
Yes. It feels like a miracle when you get 4 together. The 33i or whatever it's called has mesh tech so they say you can get up to 16 together automatically. This morning we are using my smh10 crane set in the mix so I can't really test it out yet but we'll see!

Check out the progress on this cribbing job!
20230822_093404.jpg

thats a hell of a setup there!
my crane company stops at 10 layers of 4x6 blocks, the company im working with for a bigger crane (local tree company with a 38-127 altec) tries not to set up on more than a 6% grade

a front outrigger would make that setup there go much faster right? being able to flipflop between the front 3 and getting full strokes instead of a foot at a time and setting back on the tires, unless being on a single front point would make it too tippy side to side?

ive got a story about setting my bucket truck up on a hill very similar to the one pictured, just being a 2 outrigger truck it was very much into the cringeworthy out of levelness (I got side to side right at 5 degrees before tires started getting light enough that I quit pushing my luck)
probably took a year off the lifespan of my slew ring, being on a 20+ degree front to back hill and leveled to 5 degrees side to side
and I had someone call while im in the bucket on this same job, full stick on this hill, a customer I refuse to work for and he wanted to keep talking, not listening to me explain that im at work in the bucket right next to power lines and need to concentrate on work and not the phone
yeah I billed the company I was helping out, a LOT for that job, and it was only a 3 hour job

I think you're right about a front outrigger... I'm not sure what percentage grade it was but it was definitely more than 6%. They had to send someone over with additional cribbing. The operator said it was the most he's ever done. Setup took quite a while.

369189601_798150728770880_4791643963747413064_n.jpg
369736097_798150598770893_1660971361734561702_n.jpg

im gonna try and guess some weights, brush pick: 2100#, log 3800#
was I close? when im in the tree I can guess within about 200 pounds usually

had one a while back where the climber asked the crane operator about a pick, figured the weight should be fine but always want extra eyes, operator gets off the crane and walked over to look, "yup its good cut it"
im over eating pizza (on break between picks) and hear the crane operator yell "oh sh*t" and then a very solid thump (felt and heard)
somehow a pick nearly doubled in weight ( shorter log, maybe 2" diameter increase) and ended up putting the crane 900# over his chart, put the LMI into freakout mode to the point he couldnt even cable down or boom up with it, when the piece flopped (snap cut im guessing, I wasnt in the tree) it must have put the crane over capacity well over the actual tipping capacity, so the 85% chart plus a few thousand momentarily

the thump was his outrigger slamming back into the driveway, no clue how far it lifted but it felt like a solid foot or two,
maybe a knot or something, no rot in previous cuts, but for some reason this one log was atleast double the weight than even my calculator said it should be, id like to know why that is, first (and hopefully last) time I see this
one more reason I want something bigger than a 30 ton, not trying for bigger picks but bigger safety margin (we cant handle anything over 2K on the ground anyways)

Yes. It feels like a miracle when you get 4 together. The 33i or whatever it's called has mesh tech so they say you can get up to 16 together automatically. This morning we are using my smh10 crane set in the mix so I can't really test it out yet but we'll see!

Check out the progress on this cribbing job!
View attachment 1106866
wedge mats make a great start on something like this.

im gonna try and guess some weights, brush pick: 2100#, log 3800#
was I close? when im in the tree I can guess within about 200 pounds usually

had one a while back where the climber asked the crane operator about a pick, figured the weight should be fine but always want extra eyes, operator gets off the crane and walked over to look, "yup its good cut it"
im over eating pizza (on break between picks) and hear the crane operator yell "oh sh*t" and then a very solid thump (felt and heard)
somehow a pick nearly doubled in weight ( shorter log, maybe 2" diameter increase) and ended up putting the crane 900# over his chart, put the LMI into freakout mode to the point he couldnt even cable down or boom up with it, when the piece flopped (snap cut im guessing, I wasnt in the tree) it must have put the crane over capacity well over the actual tipping capacity, so the 85% chart plus a few thousand momentarily

the thump was his outrigger slamming back into the driveway, no clue how far it lifted but it felt like a solid foot or two,
maybe a knot or something, no rot in previous cuts, but for some reason this one log was atleast double the weight than even my calculator said it should be, id like to know why that is, first (and hopefully last) time I see this
one more reason I want something bigger than a 30 ton, not trying for bigger picks but bigger safety margin (we cant handle anything over 2K on the ground anyways)
I don't remember the weights of those picks but I do think the butt log was around 4k. The online green log weight calculator is very helpful for those nice excurrent trees.

We did a very boring no cleanup pair of cherry removals at a country club today.
20230823_105021.jpg20230823_111709.jpg

Attachments

• 20230823_111709.jpg
    20230823_111709.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
. The online green log weight calculator is very helpful for those nice excurrent trees.
i've got one on my phone, apparent it cant be downloaded anymore (at least on android)
"log weight pro"
I also keep a proper paper green log weight chart with me in every truck, id have to check which one it is but it seems accurate enough, I keep it in a folder with the load chart for the crane, specifically the chart that applies to this setup so anyone on the job can see whats going on
I always ask the operator how heavy a piece is, on real critical stuff I use a calculator, usually the crane is good for anywhere from 600-2000 pounds on 90% of my jobs so there is some unreal pucker factor every now and then

Latest posts

Back