New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pruning some medium, very dense & hard timber species last week. Owner used to operate a nursery in town & knows his species, loves his firewood, so most kept for that purpose.

Yate & sugar gum, both around 1100 kg/m3 dry, in particular yate used for things like cart wheels, tool handles, brakes pads back in the day. Tried out the MS220t for sending the top of a dead sugar gum. Simply wasn't up to the task, the hard wood way beyond it's capabilities. New battery went flat making the third cut, which was the undercut for the humbolt. In it's defence though, the wood made the 500i really work as well.

37EEBCB4-948A-4AC7-9467-476EF753A765.jpeg

A39BD4FC-79E6-46C1-9051-568113BF5CB2.jpeg

41EC67FA-BCE0-4023-B046-4C382A09A9B2.jpeg

2329DDCF-75F7-4F29-95D3-D8FF151CE1A7.jpeg

EFD5910D-46B0-4D48-8A7F-7F2E80F100CC.jpeg

And a fun removal job for Friday.

Twin Sydney blue gums, actually pruned the trees a few years ago. Was a bare paddock then. Magnificent young trees, but in the intervening period, a lot had changed beneath them, started giving both owners nightmares. Of course there was two wastewater systems right beneath both trees....

Wind at the tolerance threshold for climbing tall eucs (gusting above 70km/h), almost getting truck bogged at start of the day, green third crew member struggling a little with the rigging & pace & chipper truck locking me out of cab all contributed to a solid day. Set up for a zipline initially, first couple of runs, the limbs simply wouldn't sail directly into the wind, first one went back over my head, so had to change to a more standard set-up & send big sections to beat the wind. Also a day for box cuts, with conventional steps simply binding saws with the wind loading on trees. Both of us climbing had a few 'hold your nerve moments' & some good rodeo riding with the few metres sway in the tops.

Still managed to get the logs in another one of the woodyards by next morning.

Both owners characters, but one of them, whose lot we worked from, amongst chain smoking while watching, regaled us with his homemade rocket manufacturing. Apparently not all neighbours agreed with his nocturnal product testing. Only when getting back to yard, did I find a very dangerous looking prototype sitting on the back seat of the ute....

A63B3482-A22F-4AB9-A246-0A8028C8BB97.jpeg

3EEA2B11-4B6E-4D37-8003-517C1559B897.jpeg

B952503C-CE31-4B9E-9BAE-B2A455589073.jpeg
A63E61A7-E30C-4CF7-8E4F-EBE2D9275BA7.jpeg

8005C915-3393-4914-A511-D2951FD3666F.jpeg

7781EEA1-DA72-4DE9-B0FA-506325885F7B.jpeg

CD12A6C8-4B59-40AE-9621-13E5EC38AB8F.jpeg

01042C6F-EC8E-46B4-98C2-BBBCF642EEE8.jpeg

A69846ED-E39A-40E0-890C-BDE44B7414A2.jpeg

Sold the old man’s car finally. Gained a nice piece of the shop back too! Probably winter storage for the big chipper. 61 years that thing has been kicking around. I’m just relieved it’s gone finally. A little cleanup and put a few items in the trailer/rearrange things a bit and I can try it out. Just in time for winter!
225110D1-E2F4-42FB-8933-0BACFFBE5F49.jpeg
B586A1EF-EBE1-4DE0-B30C-96ED07AD8B7E.jpeg277493FD-1433-4AFE-A2C4-7AB5ABCB5221.jpeg

the monument has moved!

Right!!:surprised3:

I love slowly pecking away at the shop changes. It’s actually pretty enjoyable after all the years. Gonna be really sweet when it all comes together. Only one more “project” to strip and junk and then all registered keepers lol. Getting that chip top on top the container is going to be the last big thing. 8x20’ of earth reclaimed!

Very casual end to the week.

New firewood set up building momentum. And working in a nice garden have had a hand in over the years.

View attachment 1110905

Nice setup! How come you are choker-lifting those logs? A good log tong would probably cut the time you spend loading and unloading into 1/2 to 1/3rd the time. They really aren't that expensive, either.

1695132203032.png 1695132448326.png

Nice setup! How come you are choker-lifting those logs? A good log tong would probably cut the time you spend loading and unloading into 1/2 to 1/3rd the time. They really aren't that expensive, either.

View attachment 1113637
View attachment 1113638

The slings just kind of evolved & are a safe, universal method - lift a lot of other things with the crane, like equipment, materials etc.

But do like the simple idea of those log tongs for smaller logs, as you say, not hugely costly & keeps the crane 'open' for lifting other items. The WLL does worry me a little on those tongs, but would certainly speed up loading the small & medium logs.

Did recently get a quote on a grapple for the crane - rigid mount rotator, smaller version of what I have on the Vermeer. Wasn't excessive, around $8K from memory.

Did recently get a quote on a grapple for the crane - rigid mount rotator, smaller version of what I have on the Vermeer. Wasn't excessive, around $8K from memory.
and I paid $5000+ for a manual rotate BMG down here in the states
yeah that grapple is probably worth it but I imagine you will lose a lot of capacity unless you take it off the crane to lift anything but logs
how wide does it open? my branch manager is only 56" and that gets maxed out all the time

You might recall that I mounted a winch to the front end, attached to the top-frame of my loader grapple.
Grapple & winch on A300 Bobcat
This is so much better than the rear winch (in many cases), because the winch pulls in the tree, then the grapple finishes the carry back to the truck. I can reach over an 8 foot tall fence, reel in a large log or bundle of branches, then spool it right up into the waiting grapple, then carry it back to the truck. Furthermore, the operator gets to put his full attention on the winching operation, because he's not turned around in the operators seat.

Obviously, any PTO winch will be way stronger and faster, though.
Pretty slick! Please show us some pics. I'm interested in seeing how this is mounted.

So now we have a mini skid and 2 tractors with grapple and winch. Thinking about selling the older tractor and getting a tracked skid steer for those larger jobs. There's a 10 or so year old Volvo, maybe 80-90hp available locally for 28k. I'm open to any thoughts anyone has on the versatility of this.

Thinking about going back to 2 crews in 2024.

and I paid $5000+ for a manual rotate BMG down here in the states
yeah that grapple is probably worth it but I imagine you will lose a lot of capacity unless you take it off the crane to lift anything but logs
how wide does it open? my branch manager is only 56" and that gets maxed out all the time

Open to about 1400mm, whatever that is in ye’ olde imperialisms.

Sub 200kg the model was looking at, so not to bad. More than interchange with hook & grapple was worried about.

Pretty slick! Please show us some pics. I'm interested in seeing how this is mounted.

So now we have a mini skid and 2 tractors with grapple and winch. Thinking about selling the older tractor and getting a tracked skid steer for those larger jobs. There's a 10 or so year old Volvo, maybe 80-90hp available locally for 28k. I'm open to any thoughts anyone has on the versatility of this.

Thinking about going back to 2 crews in 2024.

Used to run larger track loaders (long term hire).

They are great, can move 4-5 tonne logs quickly, tow out trucks etc. Quite compact for power, super nimble. High ground speed is good in two speed models, as is fore visibility over tractor. Can butter your sandwich with a bucket on one, they are that accurate in the right hands.

Being able to get in & out of cab quickly is tricky for treework, even for fast, agile people. Also the seating position & front window are right in the impact zone when going to war with tree. The over shoulder blind spot is also hazardous with big track loaders working around ground personnel, the machines can move fast & very easy for the unaware to put themselves in danger zone.

The Volvo machines are shitski in my opinion, if it’s the model with a one sided load arm. Unbalanced, weak, poor cab ergonomics.

Preferred machine is the Kubota models (SVL 75 & 95), 40k cheaper than Caterpillar, less prone to catching fire, easier to get in & out of cab.

Personally, pound for pound & cost wise, the Vermeer is more versatile & useful for everyday treework, aside from the real big jobs. I’d probably get a decent new Vermeer or Ditchwitch over a second hand Volvo. Much quicker & easier to move around between jobs. Just the other night, had a guy come out to pick up a log for milling. Has just bought himself a second hand Gehl wheeled skidsteer. Laughed at my Vermeer, until it picked up three times the capacity of his machine….

Used to run larger track loaders (long term hire).

They are great, can move 4-5 tonne logs quickly, tow out trucks etc. Quite compact for power, super nimble. High ground speed is good in two speed models, as is fore visibility over tractor. Can butter your sandwich with a bucket on one, they are that accurate in the right hands.

Being able to get in & out of cab quickly is tricky for treework, even for fast, agile people. Also the seating position & front window are right in the impact zone when going to war with tree. The over shoulder blind spot is also hazardous with big track loaders working around ground personnel, the machines can move fast & very easy for the unaware to put themselves in danger zone.

The Volvo machines are shitski in my opinion, if it’s the model with a one sided load arm. Unbalanced, weak, poor cab ergonomics.

Preferred machine is the Kubota models (SVL 75 & 95), 40k cheaper than Caterpillar, less prone to catching fire, easier to get in & out of cab.

Personally, pound for pound & cost wise, the Vermeer is more versatile & useful for everyday treework, aside from the real big jobs. I’d probably get a decent new Vermeer or Ditchwitch over a second hand Volvo. Much quicker & easier to move around between jobs. Just the other night, had a guy come out to pick up a log for milling. Has just bought himself a second hand Gehl wheeled skidsteer. Laughed at my Vermeer, until it picked up three times the capacity of his machine….
Thanks for the info. It IS one of those one armed volvos. I thought that would be preferable for getting in and out? I was thinking about giving it a test run. I appreciate your opinion. With interest rates nearing 8% I'm very hestiant to finance a more expensive machine. I'll look into Kubota as there is a big dealer close by

I'll look into Kubota as there is a big dealer close by
their financing is great, service seems to be good, I didnt have any hoops to jump through when buying from them
if you want, I can send you some pics of my new machine, doubt its what you think it is lol

one thing about this machine, what you see isnt what you get, it looks like a typical version of said machine like any takeuchi, JD, CAT, etc
pop open some covers (the only 2 you need to work on it) and you realize everything done super nice, hoses have spacers so the fittings arent next to eachother so you can put a wrench on them, wiring isnt in the way, battery is easy to get to, all the filters are easy to access, there isnt much on this machine you cant get to with a normal cheap socket set and remove 2 or 4 bolts
ive worked on lots of equipment, id say mini skids are the worst to work on, old tractors are easy, newer ones not quite as easy but not very hard, this new kubota (not a tractor) is super easy to work on

I should note, im not publicly saying what it is just yet, gonna let the suspense get to quesadilla or whoever that guy is
one member here who shall remain un named does know what machine I bought tho

their financing is great, service seems to be good, I didnt have any hoops to jump through when buying from them
if you want, I can send you some pics of my new machine, doubt its what you think it is lol

one thing about this machine, what you see isnt what you get, it looks like a typical version of said machine like any takeuchi, JD, CAT, etc
pop open some covers (the only 2 you need to work on it) and you realize everything done super nice, hoses have spacers so the fittings arent next to eachother so you can put a wrench on them, wiring isnt in the way, battery is easy to get to, all the filters are easy to access, there isnt much on this machine you cant get to with a normal cheap socket set and remove 2 or 4 bolts
ive worked on lots of equipment, id say mini skids are the worst to work on, old tractors are easy, newer ones not quite as easy but not very hard, this new kubota (not a tractor) is super easy to work on

I should note, im not publicly saying what it is just yet, gonna let the suspense get to quesadilla or whoever that guy is
there is no suspense. we really dont care what machine you bought. just use it and have fun with it.

Busy day of varied small jobs today.

Some backyards in town, then too the beach for some small, annoying coastal trees (everyone wants their ocean views), then down to a national park campground to deal with some forest tree hazards before the long weekend. Nice evening in the forest, finish by headtorch. Spring weather, hot girlies popping up everywhere.

One thing have found over the years in outdoor sports & work in general, doing them in the dark is great for developing proficiency.

21112437-AFB9-4D8C-9523-449D8DA6215C.jpeg

679CAC09-5479-4948-B764-6AF1B34532C9.jpeg

F0527C19-B1BD-4073-AB60-DF548858975F.jpeg

3D20E87B-D69E-42F9-A72B-9F9D84B6F297.jpeg

B933134F-B87F-4BA0-B2DD-1503A5A7DCE8.jpeg

2A5E5D5F-B9C5-46D9-ACAC-450F707DF3D3.jpeg

Exca'bator?

Did they throw in some punctuation with as part of the deal?

Aww, I love my little buddy!! 11’ totally dead spruce log (so pretty light for its size), but still a good example of why the little guy comes along almost daily.
88D7CE0D-A55A-459E-B591-1EB141B99731.jpeg1CE42547-1A91-4A61-AEDC-6C05D889CC71.jpeg
And one more pic of my new space cleaned up a bit. I’m loving it just like this, to be honest!
318A13B5-C0BE-490E-A657-D25559EE8686.jpeg

Aww, I love my little buddy!! 11’ totally dead spruce log (so pretty light for its size), but still a good example of why the little guy comes along almost daily.
View attachment 1114607View attachment 1114608
And one more pic of my new space cleaned up a bit. I’m loving it just like this, to be honest!
View attachment 1114621

The mini-Giant reminds me of a bullant (one of the savage invertebrates we get).

30mm long, full of blind fury & ability to sting repeatedly, massive nippers!!

Latest posts

Back