New to forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the site and I hope all your chainsaws run like new 98cc'ers. That being said, what is it that you are in need of help on? I would explain the problem to the best of my ability and add pictures if they will help. You have a vast amount of knowledge at your service here and they are glad to help if you treat them right.

I have a logo sawmill m8 and using a husky 3120 with ripping chains from Bailey's. This is the standard sprocket and chain size since it's a new saw. I'm cutting red & white oak and I'm burning through sprockets, chains and bars. Have a huge learning curve since its the first time cutting logs. Can a switch to a smaller gauge

A smaller gauge sprocket, chain, and bar so I'm not cutting a huge cut. Seams a low profile bar and chain work cut easier

yep. do you have an other oiler setup on the mill?..... if not you may need one as well.

BTW, as you probably know....milling with a chainsaw sucks.

Yes, I know chainsaw mill is far from a bandsaw... Have an oiler on the saw turnered up to max and run a slow speed, but cutting oak seems to dull up the chains real fast. Was wondering if I dropped down chain size if possible, more ght help.

If your running .404, you can go to 3/8 for a smaller kerf. You have to change bar ends or bar and the drive spur on the clutch drum. You most likely need an aux oiler as well as the one on the saw.

I know stihl makes a narrow kerf rip chain that U can not buy at a Stihl Dealer, you have to go to Bailey's because they make it specifically for Logosol. They also told me it needed a special narrow kerf bar, but they were back ordered, so I used it with my regular Stihl bar and it worked just fine.

I used it on an 044 and MS 441 to convert Ash logs to posts & beams with a Beam Machine. It cut faster than the regular chain, but still had to be sharpened often.

I found a 12v electric hand held sharpener really sped up that process. Just remember, rip chain gets filed at different angle than regular chain.

I think square file chain would also work well.

It sounds like UR chain is going dull too fast, and putting stress on everything else.

Latest posts

Back