new to me 036 adventure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad that don't have the OEM cylinder, clean saw.
yup. gonna see how it runs. if it runs good, I'll do some work with it and then I may take the cylinder off and look things over. these things are so easy and quick to take apart its not a chore. might just get an upgrade.

OEM Zama carb. has these plastic stops on the high and low speed screws that limit them to 1 turn out. is 1 turn out always enough or should I snip off the little stop tabs?
PXL_20220605_174843468.jpg

OEM Zama carb. has these plastic stops on the high and low speed screws that limit them to 1 turn out. is 1 turn out always enough or should I snip off the little stop tabs?
View attachment 994460
I snip them on 99% of the saws I touch, I prefer to do that as preventative measure. I neglected to trim the limiters on a 192t I had torn apart and sure enough, after 5 minutes of running it I needed to tune it beyond the limiters. After that I decided it's just easier to defeat them while they're easily acessible

The only time I haven't defeated the limiters on a saw is when a guy asked me to fix his new Farm Boss, he said he'd "tuned it but it still wouldn't cut right". The chain looked like it was used for trenching and the saw was leaned as far out as the limiters would let it, I sharpened the chain, tuned the saw, and gave it back to him with the recommendation that he sharpen his chain more often and not try to tune it.

damn, what a little beast this thing is. replaced the decomp and did the dual port muffler thing. started right up. took a little tuning on the carb. and I haven't even put in the carb kit I bought. honestly don't think I need it. first few cuts in a little 8" oak branch it wanted to bog. went back in the shop and sharpened the chain and man. what a great little saw. it's hard to imagine that an OEM top end could run better than this, but I guess so.

I did about 2 1/2 hours cutting up all the blow down in one of my woods and kept tweaking the carb screws. ran better and better. puts my little husqvarna to shame :)

freaking loud. need some ear muffs.
6-11-22.jpg6-11-22 3.jpg

well. I gotta say I'm disappointed. as mentioned, I did 2 1/2 to 3 hours of cutting the other day and then this morning I started dropping the dead oaks I also mentioned. I took the biggest one down first with the 036, no problems. shut the saw off to clean up around the next tree so I wouldn't trip on exit when it started to go over. the saw would not re-start. it would fire and die. even on choke. when I would choke and use my toe to hold the trigger in it would rev but as soon as I blipped the trigger to close the choke it would die again. if I didn't close the choke, it would rev too high. I tried to start it a bunch of times. then I fiddled with the idle and H and L screws. took it in the shop to try another plug. same thing. fuel is getting to the carb as it flooded out of the gas line when I disconnected it. so, I went ahead and installed the carb kit. did not help, acted exactly the same.

I needed to get some work done so I grabbed my little husky and took down 9 more trees. will dig into the 036 again tomorrow.

it just occurred to me that I don't remember fuel flooding out of the gas line when I disconnected the carb a few days ago. is it possible to build up pressure in the fuel tank? I mean the tank vent was replaced a few weeks ago when the PO had the saw serviced. is pressure in the fuel tank possible?

it just occurred to me that I don't remember fuel flooding out of the gas line when I disconnected the carb a few days ago. is it possible to build up pressure in the fuel tank? I mean the tank vent was replaced a few weeks ago when the PO had the saw serviced. is pressure in the fuel tank possible?
Yes…check valve let’s air into the tank to allow it to reference atmospheric pressure and flow. It stops vapor from ‘leaking’ out….allowing the opportunity for the tank to pressurize.

I get it now. the tank vent has a rubber one-way check valve under the vent filter that lets air in to prevent vacuum as fuel is withdrawn but will not let fuel or pressure out as fuel would leak all over when the saw is on its side cutting or as was said if heat expands the fuel. aha.

took the carb apart again this am just to make sure I did it right when I kitted it yesterday. looked fine. gaskets and diaphragms in the right order and a straight edge showed that the inlet needle lever aligned with the top of the carb body. did a leak down test on the newly kitted carb and it passed with flying colors.

even though the fuel line, filter and fuel tank vent were replaced by the PO's shop a couple of weeks ago, I emptied the fuel tank and checked everything out. everything in there is new but whomever replaced the little round red rubber check valve left the old one floating around in the tank. don't think that could hurt anything as the filter would keep it from going into the fuel line and it's too small to block off much of the filter. removed it.

I noticed that when I tried to start the saw last night and again this morning to no avail that the spark plug was very wet. so, when I emptied the fuel tank, I removed the spark plug and gave the starter about 20 pulls to clean out any fuel that might be in the crankcase. then I put the spark plug back in and with an empty fuel tank I put it on choke and the saw fired right up and ran good for a few seconds. filled the fuel tank back up and the damn thing fires up and sits there idling happily. went outside and spent the next 2 hours cutting up some of the oaks I dropped yesterday. I don't get it. taking a lunch break and will go back to work and see how it does.

took the carb apart again this am just to make sure I did it right when I kitted it yesterday. looked fine. gaskets and diaphragms in the right order and a straight edge showed that the inlet needle lever aligned with the top of the carb body. did a leak down test on the newly kitted carb and it passed with flying colors.

even though the fuel line, filter and fuel tank vent were replaced by the PO's shop a couple of weeks ago, I emptied the fuel tank and checked everything out. everything in there is new but whomever replaced the little round red rubber check valve left the old one floating around in the tank. don't think that could hurt anything as the filter would keep it from going into the fuel line and it's too small to block off much of the filter. removed it.

I noticed that when I tried to start the saw last night and again this morning to no avail that the spark plug was very wet. so, when I emptied the fuel tank, I removed the spark plug and gave the starter about 20 pulls to clean out any fuel that might be in the crankcase. then I put the spark plug back in and with an empty fuel tank I put it on choke and the saw fired right up and ran good for a few seconds. filled the fuel tank back up and the damn thing fires up and sits there idling happily. went outside and spent the next 2 hours cutting up some of the oaks I dropped yesterday. I don't get it. taking a lunch break and will go back to work and see how it does.
Probably shook loose some crap that got jammed in the needle or seat.
The important part is you have a runner so go over it and replace anything suspect like, seals, fuel lines or impulse hose.

Back