new to me 036 adventure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the following has been replaced: fuel line and filter, fuel tank vent, impulse hose, rubber carb to cylinder boot, carb kit, decompression valve, spark plug, air filter. fuel tank cap, oil tank cap (beat to hell by screw drivers and leaking), exhaust gasket (and muffler dual port mod).

I've taken down 12 of the 22 dead oaks. some of these are 75 feet tall and leaning right into healthy oaks around them. not sure what to do there as I don't want to smash the good ones. maybe I can rope them off to other trees to make them fall where I want them. not too experienced at this obviously.

btw, this is called oak sudden death syndrome. fungus gets to the roots when the trees are stressed and goes to the top of the tree. rot starts at the top. trees go from green and beautiful to dead in a week. here is what stressed mine. they sat in this water for 7 months before it went away. these pics weren't even the high-water point. got about a foot deeper. not sure why these died and many around them seem fine. I guess the fine ones could die too. bums me out.
9-16-21.jpg9-16-21 3.jpg

I've taken down 12 of the 22 dead oaks. some of these are 75 feet tall and leaning right into healthy oaks around them. not sure what to do there as I don't want to smash the good ones. maybe I can rope them off to other trees to make them fall where I want them. not too experienced at this obviously.

btw, this is called oak sudden death syndrome. fungus gets to the roots when the trees are stressed and goes to the top of the tree. rot starts at the top. trees go from green and beautiful to dead in a week. here is what stressed mine. they sat in this water for 7 months before it went away. these pics weren't even the high-water point. got about a foot deeper. not sure why these died and many around them seem fine. I guess the fine ones could die too. bums me out.
These are all live oaks (quercus virginiana)? Don’t suppose you can do anything for drainage in that spot, (short of a trash pump)?

that really big old tree in the 1st pick is a live oak but it hasn't died. most of the lower branches are dead but have been so for years. it's very old. some of the bottom dead branches on it are huge. I haven't removed them because most of them are on one side of the tree, and I am afraid I will un-balance the tree. the roots here don't go very deep as the water table is high. we get high wind storms here on the gulf coast and the trees that died that I took down were a nice wind break for the old tree but now they are gone.

the oaks that died I don't think are live oaks, I think they may be a bastard oak. they are tall and slim without the horizontal lower limbs.
I do have a number of younger live oaks but some are on high ground and some were in the water but all the live oaks are doing fine so far.

the photo shows the type that have died so far.
PXL_20220602_211318458.jpg

the fence I said was completely under water in the one in the background of the 2nd pic, not the one next to the big live oak. the big live oak was in a little less than 2 feet of water at the highest. what's funny is the trees that dies were in the shallowest area.

I cut with it all afternoon. worked great again. starts easy, idles smooth, cuts well. no idea what happened yesterday. will keep my fingers crossed. this oak is dry and hard. not huge but tough. I'm sure my sharpening skills could be better.
View attachment 995805
Thanks for taking us on your awesome journey….I enjoyed every bit…

I cut with it all afternoon. worked great again. starts easy, idles smooth, cuts well. no idea what happened yesterday. will keep my fingers crossed. this oak is dry and hard. not huge but tough. I'm sure my sharpening skills could be better.
View attachment 995805

Hello flatsfisher , have you lowered the depth gauges on your chain ?

Hello flatsfisher , have you lowered the depth gauges on your chain ?I use a husqvarna file holer that has a round file and a flat file and does both at the same time.
I use a husqvarna Sharpforce file holder that has both round and flat files and it does both at the same time. don't know if that's a good way or not.

these oaks have been dead for months and are very dry. however, I sharpened the chain again, this time with the right file :baba: and it's cutting much better again. been cutting all day and its 97 degrees out now. not to mention I've been burning branches all day. call me crazy.

Latest posts

Back