new to me 385XP!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COWBOYJAKE

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just picked up a new to me 385xp,

Are there anything I need to look out for or what would be the first basic mods to make?

Its coming with a 20" bar and im gonna get a 28" bar

What is a preferred chain for this saw in Oak and mesquite?

It will be nice to have a bigger saw again. The 346 is great but I am needing a bit more muscle.

They are nice saws I have had mine for six years and is still running strong. I would do a muff mod ummm muff mod. She seems to like the free breathing better. I can only imagine what a port job would do. I like to run full skip chisel on a 36" bar for oak but with a 28" the saw will be unstoppable we don't have mesquite up here but from what I hear it's like iron. :cheers:

Im planning on at least muff modding, I still have not modded the one on my 346 I needed another saw before i messed with this one. Plus I need to cut the stops off the carb adjustment knobs on the 346.

Yeah the mesquite is HARD especially alot of this stuff a fire come through and its standing dead, has pretty good moisture in it still but definately not green.

I got some 72lgx chains for it we will see how they do.

Thanks!!

Jake

The 385xp was my first big saw. Great saw, I think its better and lighter than the Stihl 650. Ran it with a 28 inch bar. Just recently changed to a 32inch. That was in 2005, it cost only $700.00 brand new!

COWBOYJAKE, Your gonna like that saw:) Thats what i have on mine, 28".
No mods as of yet!! Other than a set of larger dogs, which aren't on it in this pic. I use it a lot on large swamp white oaks, works fantastic.

100_0144.jpg

Good Luck with the new saw!

:cheers:
Gregg,

Cowboyjake congrats on the 385xp :clap: Its one of my favorites. The 72lgx chain you have is a great choice. I use that or a 72lpx. The 385xp and your 346xp is a great combo. Here's a pic of my 385xp and some Oak it cut.

attachment.php

Congrats. I don't have a 385, but I sure was including it in my short list when I was looking for a bigger saw than my 372. Ended up getting a 394 (and a 281), but I would have been happy with a 385. Sounds like you have a very good two-saw rig.

Well done, Jake. Welcome to the Texas 385XP club. I love mine and I'm sure you'll love yours. Great saws. Mine has a muffler mod and has been ported by Brad Snelling. Outstanding!

JQ

What chain are you running on yours? do you cut mesquite also? I know on my 346 the 20lp chain does not hold up real well in it like the vp95 does. I may have my saw adjusted some once Brad is taking in some more work again. I think im gonna muffler mod both saws sometime this summer.

well it showed up today!

Its in pretty good shape, fueled, oiled, started on the second pull!

runs awesome, i tore into some big oak and its awesome!

Hopefully this summer im gonna mod the muffler on it and the 346

I just picked up a new to me 385xp,

Are there anything I need to look out for or what would be the first basic mods to make?

Its coming with a 20" bar and im gonna get a 28" bar

What is a preferred chain for this saw in Oak and mesquite?

It will be nice to have a bigger saw again. The 346 is great but I am needing a bit more muscle.

Very nice two saw plan. End of story, have fun
ZG

This new saw is so great! I ran through a gallon of gas in it yesterday, I dont know how much I cut but its alot! One thing i noticed is the compression release does not always pop back out on its own. and the screw on the left side of the break handle come out, I gotta run one of those down and the hole does not look like its in good shape I think i am going to have to tap it out. Other than that its wonderful! Now as soon as it drys out some I can start hauling the wood out.

This new saw is so great! I ran through a gallon of gas in it yesterday, I dont know how much I cut but its alot! One thing i noticed is the compression release does not always pop back out on its own. and the screw on the left side of the break handle come out, I gotta run one of those down and the hole does not look like its in good shape I think i am going to have to tap it out. Other than that its wonderful! Now as soon as it drys out some I can start hauling the wood out.
385s are great saws id go threw every screw on it with blue lock tight.The muffler bolts like to rattle lose to. These saws run pretty good muffler moded.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back