New to me Husky 350

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsilver

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Got me a husky 350 today for the wifes uncle. Looks to be a good saw, but I don't know anything about them. I do know one thing, that safety chain has to go. Pics to follow.

a buddy of mine has one, i've never ran it but he says it's a nice saw for the money. He doesn't burn wood but lives in the middle of the woods and always has trees to clean up, works good for him.

Keep the muffler bolts tight. They have a bad habit of loosening, and then the exhaust melts the plastic case.:dizzy:

Actually, that only happens if the saw is tuned to 13,500 max rpms. If it is tuned to 12,000 the bolts won't loosen up. Get rid of the safety chain and go with some full chisel and an 18" bar. It is a great saw. I have cut probably 40 cord with mine and it still cuts as good as the day I got it.

A Husky 350? Oh my you will Hate that saw, what a piece of JUNK! it's not a 'Professional' saw, and of course you NEED a professional saw no matter the amount of wood you cut or what you do for a living.

Tell ya what, sell it to me for, lets say 50 bucks, and I'll do you the favor of taking that nightmare off your hands! :)

BTW, I Love mine. Give yours a muff mod and a carb tune and I think you'll love yours as well.

Good Luck

My son has been running his for three years now and he lost out one muffler bolt. The saw is used almost daily so I think for the money it's been a good one.
"Possum"
:chainsaw:

I got a Husky 350 about 6 months ago. I really like, not too big, not too small, just right. I don't cut much wood since I live in North Alabama and we don't use wood for heat, but I do use it for smoking meat.

What is a "safety chain", how do I identify it and what do I replace it with?

Thanks,

Al

:sucks: :welcome: :notrolls2:

J/K.....there's so many posts and new threads going on, the old threads get easily lost. I would have replied to your post but didn't even see it, or else I would have.

A safety chain generally has ramped bumpers or ramped connecting links to allow less "bite". Sometimes there is a link painted green, generally on the Stihl safety chains. Not sure what Husky/Oregon does. Do you know if you have the small 3/8" LowPro or .325? don't suppose you have the large 3/8". This may help narrow down the chain you have, and what you could replace it with. Also, what do you cut?

Hope I can help..... :cheers:

Last edited:
Actually, that only happens if the saw is tuned to 13,500 max rpms. If it is tuned to 12,000 the bolts won't loosen up. Get rid of the safety chain and go with some full chisel and an 18" bar. It is a great saw. I have cut probably 40 cord with mine and it still cuts as good as the day I got it.

:agree2: You are correct!! I really like the 350 It is in my opinion a underestimated saw. I have cut alot of wood with 350. As far as the muffler bolts I have never had a prob and I dont know what the rpms were at on mine I tuned it by ear.

According to the manual, it comes with a .325 chain.

Here's what the manual says, other than the chain meets certain ASTM specs for kickback, I have no clue what all this means:

"Recommended original and replacement bar and chain combinations

Following is a list of recommended cutting equipment for the Husqvarna chain saw models 340, 340e, 345e and 350. The
combinations of power head, bar and chain have been tested and found to be in accordance with the kickback and vibration
requirements of ANSI B 175.1–2000.

The guide bar nose radius is determined by either the maximum number of teeth in the nose sprocket or the corresponding
maximum nose radius of a hard nose.

The following list is the chain saw manufacturers recommendations. There may be other combinations available, which will also
achieve kickback reduction.

As we are listing the maximum guide bar nose radius, you may use a guide bar with smaller nose radius than in our list. For guide
bars of the same length, all sprocket-nose guide bars of the same pitch and having the same number of sprocket teeth may be
considered to have equivalent kickback energy. A hard nose bar having the same length and nose radius as a sprocket-nose bar
may be considered to have equivalent or less kickback energy than the sprocket-nose bar.

Bar and chain combinations

Chain saw models Husqvarna 340, 340e, 345e and 350 met the kickback performance requirements of ANSI B 175.1-2000 when
tested with the combinations of bars and saw chains listed below. The saw chain Husqvarna H30 is also classified as a low kickback
saw chain since it met the requirements for low kickback saw chain outlined in ANSI B 175.1-2000. We recommend to use only the
listed combinations of bars and chains for chain saw models Husqvarna 340, 340e, 345e and 350. Other chain saw models may
not meet the kickback requirements when equipped with the listed bar and chain combinations."

I mainly wanted to know what "safety chain" and "full chisel" means - and what it looks like i.e. a tutorial - so I can see what I have on my Husky 350 with it's 18" bar.

I usually cut various types of oak, pecan, maple and poplar here in north Alabama.

Thanks,

Al

IMO 18" bar on 350 is pushing it, i'd say 16" is max reasonable bar lenght... for chain, i would go with .325 95vp/h30 or something similar, ofcourse theres always possibility of full chisel but its alot more troublesome to maintain ....

Here's a pic that shows the difference between low kickback {safety} chain and normal dangerous, tear your leg off chain.
99918d1207696857-low-kickback-vs-full-chisel-38_72lp_detail.jpg

The blacked out areas would be on safety chain.

The difference between full chisel and semi chisel is the corner of the cutter tooth. Semi chisel is rounded and full chisel is square.
26rm.jpg

This is semi chisel

26rs.jpg

This is full chisel.

Semi chisel works better in dirty conditions and stays sharp longer but doesn't cut as fast. Full chisel cuts fast but has to be sharpened more often, forcing you to learn how to file your chain. I run semi chisel on my felling saw and full chisel on my 350 which is used to cut the tree into pieces once it is on the ground. Before I had the felling saw I used the 350 with full chisel for everything and it worked just fine once I learned how to sharpen my chain.

Latest posts

Back