New to me MS 361. Clutch ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K2Orion

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Brief history.

I scored an MS 390 a few years ago from ebay to use as my "big" firewood saw. Runs great, does what I need. Been very pleased with it. Then earlier this spring I was cutting wood with a group of guys and swapped with a friend and tried his MS 361 for an hour or so. I was in love. Lighter, better anti-vibe, bigger fuel tank. I needed a "pro saw".

So after watching for a while, last week I got a 361 from ebay. Supposed to be a re-ringed, re-sealed, runner. Compression is 170+. OK. starts on 2nd pull. OK. Idles fast, chain is spinning. Meh. Turn down LA screw and saw dies, wont start. Not OK. Saw will start and run wide open but not idle. When I pull the starter, the chain spins. Cant pull the cord with the brake on. NOT GOOD
Now I want to know whats wrong so I can go back to the seller armed with info and decide if I should return it or get a refund and fix it.

What's broke, how do I fix it?

Any Help is appreciated, I'll go back to searching here and the manuals from the "Beg For" Sticky.

You may have bad clutch springs . Take off the clutch drum and check the clutch shoes they should be tight with very little movement . Hope this helps .

Yea or it might just be your needle bearing is plugged up. Take the clutch cover off and see. Chances are you may need to replace it if the little rollers wont turn freely in your fingers. My 361 has done the exact same thing before. Had nylon baler twine in my needle cage.

Back