New(to me) Stihl 028av super problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manfred

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello! I just found this site,looks like lots of fun.
I have to start right off with a question. I just bought a 028av super form a family that had the old man pass away. It looks great but will only run as long as I pour a little mix into the air-filter. Looking down into this area just under the cover where the filter goes is a nipple sticking up on the lower left side. Some fragments of fuel line (I suppose) with a screw inside the line. Just laying in the compartment. I can't tell where it went or what the nipple is connected to below.
Is this why my saw won't pick up mix? What the heck is this line?
Thanks guys!!

you need to post this question in the chainsaw forum to get good answers.

while this may be the remnants of the weight that is in most fuel filters, you'd be better off asking this question where lots of chainsaw techs frequent. Hope this helps.

Just thought of something. If in a pinch I had a clogged fuel filter, I'd probably take it off, shove a heavy screw in the line, and cut as couple holes in the line so that it could pick fuel up, then buy a new filter later. However, this would probably cause major problems with your carb, as most saws have a fair amount of debris in their tanks, unless you break them down and clean them often (nobody does this). I'll bet that's what the previous owner had done. Sounds like you need to rebuild the carb.

edit: and, replace the fuel line with a new filter.

BTW, I have an 029Super that is a great saw. Whole lot lighter than my big saw, and just as reliable.

Back