New to me used Squire wood stove restoration...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I posted about this stove recently and I AM going to install a liner in the chimney. The stove has some exterior rust on the steel cabinet and the cast iron doors. What would be the best way to remove the rust from the box and doors? I have a 4" grinder/wire wheel and have access to a larger one. I also have access to a cheap,shop air compressor type sandblaster. The rust is not pitted but I want to clean it well so the wood stove paint will stick. I understand the metal needs to be clean and dry of any residue for the paint to adhere. I have used vinegar/wire wheels on some rusted steel before and had good results w paint lasting, but not on anything that got as hot as a wood stove. Any advice is appreciated.

I think I would try the blasting first if finished looks is a priority.

I have wire wheeled stuff, quite a bit. Sometimes it does very good, but it can leave wire marks behind, and also not get quite everything.

Or, you could maybe try light wire wheel first then come back over it with blasting.

(I would likely go for an insulated liner while I was at it, as long as there was room for one).

Latest posts

Back