New to me wood hauler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbhooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
3AD62608-195C-4AC3-9439-2D7A09D749C8.jpeg

I just got this 2012, 3038 to help with firewood and other duties around here. Could not pass it up. I bought from a John Deer mechanic that bought it from the original owner. The guy only had 215 hours on it and managed to lose all of the coolant out of the engine and smoked it. The mechanic bought it, put a brand new engine in it and I bought it. The paint was not even worn off the bucket and I don't think that the hitch was hardly ever used. Overall, like new.

Yep, It is real light. I just had a tire outfit fill the rear tires with beet juice. It was amazing how gutsy that little tractor is with my heavy blade mounted on the rear end. The prior owner also welded a ball to the top of the bucket, which is great for moving trailers around.

Great looking new toy...errr tractor. Even thought it's the wrong color (kinda prefer Kubota Orange myself) you will definitely get a lot of work done with it!
Deerehunter is that a 7.62 ammo can on the front of yours? If so cool idea I have some ammo can's laying around that I should put to use be nice storage for pins, some tools, etc...

Great looking new toy...errr tractor. Even thought it's the wrong color (kinda prefer Kubota Orange myself) you will definitely get a lot of work done with it!
Deerehunter is that a 7.62 ammo can on the front of yours? If so cool idea I have some ammo can's laying around that I should put to use be nice storage for pins, some tools, etc...

Yes, I keep pins and some hand tools in there. I have tons of ammo cans around and none are used for ammo lol

I would have liked a Kubota, too, but I could not pass this up for the deal. All of these little tractors are pretty good, and quite a few, I believe, use the same motors. This one is a three cylinder Yanmar diesel. I have put about 6 hours on it and the best that I can figure, it uses about .38 gallons of diesel per hour. Beats pouring gas into my old International for the small jobs.

Handling logs with forks SUCKS. A grapple is eleventy times better!
Couldn't agree more. Only down side is the price difference. If you can afford forks, they're still way better than just the bucket alone. Although, even just the bucket and a chain tossed over that ball hitch will work well too. With a tractor you have the advantage of being able to get off to hook up the chain with the loader positioned anywhere you need it. With a skid steer you have to have it on the ground or over the door to get out so for guys that own them, a grapple is way more handy than either forks or a bucket.

+2 on the grapple. If you are trying to pick a single log off of a pile or a truck with side boards with forks...good luck. I'm sure others have had the luxury of picking up a log only to have the end gets caught on another log so the whole thing falls off the forks....yeah....the grapple is a much nicer setup. Although forks are still very handy to have for other jobs. Maybe the guys with the forks with a thumb grapple attached have the best idea.

I noticed all the turkey tracks in the snow around your new tractor; wild or domesticated?
I was just going to ask the same thing. looked at the pic the first time on my phone, now on the PC it's "Perfectly Clear"

What size engine to only use ~.4 gal an hour?

We have a 30hp Yanmar on one processor and a 35hp Kubota on the other. They both use about a gallon an hour. Still not bad though. The 75hp Kubota on my skid steer uses about 4.5 gallons an hour.

I noticed all the turkey tracks in the snow around your new tractor; wild or domesticated?
Those are tracks from my tame geese. The engine is a three-cylider Yanmar, as I stated. I don't know if my figures are correct or not, but that is what it worked out as. It would be worse if I was running at pto speed, but I don't have to push it hard on the small jobs. I would like to put a grapple on it, but I am not finding an option for that, so far.

What size engine to only use ~.4 gal an hour?

We have a 30hp Yanmar on one processor and a 35hp Kubota on the other. They both use about a gallon an hour. Still not bad though.

Those are tracks from my tame geese. The engine is a three-cylider Yanmar, as I stated. I don't know if my figures are correct or not, but that is what it worked out as. It would be worse if I was running at pto speed, but I don't have to push it hard on the small jobs. I would like to put a grapple on it, but I am not finding an option for that, so far.

About a half gallon an hour wouldn't surprise me for just tooling around doing loader work. You're probably only demanding a third or so of your horsepower potential. That'll change dramatically doing PTO applications that place a constant heavy load on the engine where the engine is producing almost all the HP it can develop. Something like running a bush hog in dense grass, turning a generator with a heavy load on it, or powering a hydraulic pump on a processor or anything else.

Something where you just get it up to speed though won't necessarily use a lot of power. These little Japanese motors like to spin; I like to operate both of mine at at least 1800 RPM, even just doing loader work. The hydraulics are faster for the loader and I think the hydrostatic transmission and the engine itself are happier if you're not lugging it down. Even with a bump in rpm the fuel economy doesn't change much. It really just depends on how much power you're actually demanding in my experience. For running my PTO splitter I run my little 29 HP New Holland at 2500-2600 RPM. Even with that much throttle it runs a LONG time on the tiny little tank. It'll split several cords of wood and plow the driveway a couple times on a tank.

Does that tractor have a standard skid steer attachment plate or something else? I'd imagine something is made for it by these guys https://www.quickattach.com/

That's what I have for my skid steer. The tractor ones are probably lighter duty though. My grapple is 7 ft wide and about 1000lbs.

Latest posts

Back