new to site, chainsaw reviews

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 357xp but it seems this site favors the ms 361, how do the two saws compare? Is the 5100 Dolmar as powerful? I cut hard wood, oak and maple mostly for firewood.

Are you a poser? Who cares what this site favors. Obviously you liked the 357XP enough to spend your hard earned cash on it. Why are you having buyers remorse because a bunch of guys you don't know are talking up the MS361? As others have mentioned, do a search and you will find lots of info on both saws. You will even find cutting times for a 357XP and a MS361 - wonder which goes faster? I run Shindaiwa saws - if it were a popularity contest here, I would have lost a long time ago. Run what ya brung - don't forget we are just cutting firewood.

I'm not overly concerned on what everyone else uese, just nice to hear other's opinions on saws. I enjoy reading people's pro's and con's on equipment, so I can have an idea on what to expect on performance and quality in a product I invested in.

The spec's add up to say the 361 is the winner of these two saws...

But its still a close battle, and personally I wouldn't feel short changed with either saw.

I prefer the weight, feel and anti vibe of the huskys.
Its probably a horse a piece, but I really like the 357xp.:popcorn:

well, I hear all kinds of posts on the 361, but no one seems to mention its competitor, the 357xp....how does it compare??

A little late to be asking this question... especially if you purchased your saw brand new. If you are second guessing your $600 saw purchase at this point, then you failed to do your homework. As far as comparison between the two, they are "basically" equal. The MS361 is a very well liked saw by both Husky fans and Stihl fanatics... which really says something about a saw...

I bought mine (357XP) used for $185 from a farm auction. Had to invest in an updated oiler hose (better seals) and a new tank vent valve. Total repair cost = $20. If I were to pass that saw up for the price because I really thought I wanted a 361, people would call me crazy. My 357XP runs perfect now, and is just as powerful and reliable as its counterpart. Any regrets? No.

I think the 357XP doesn't get the credit that it deserves just because of the popularity of the 361 on this site alone. There are things that I like about the 361 and then are things I like about the 357XP, it comes down to a matter of preference. Come back and report to us in a year of cutting how you like your saw... I really doubt that you will regret your purchase.

The spec's add up to say the 361 is the winner of these two saws...

But its still a close battle, and personally I wouldn't feel short changed with either saw.

The most important difference is probably that the 361 has and inboard clutch, making it more versatile.

For cutting, I am also pretty sure that the 361 will win in larger wood (more tourqy), in smaller wood the difference (either way) is probably too small to be worth considering.

The 357xp weights a bit more, and a lot more than Husky states, according to independent test reports by DLG and KWF (and Dave Neigers weighting).

Last edited:
I think the 357XP doesn't get the credit that it deserves just because of the popularity of the 361 on this site alone. There are things that I like about the 361 and then are things I like about the 357XP, it comes down to a matter of preference. Come back and report to us in a year of cutting how you like your saw... I really doubt that you will regret your purchase.

The 357xp had its prime time on this forum when it was fairly new, and the 360 was the competition, lots of rave rewiews..........

When the MS361 appeared, that started to change.

I agree on the personal preference thing........;)

The 357 cuts faster in any wood you would use a 60cc saw on.
FWIW I owned a 361.
Is it a noticeably faster or do you have to use a stopwatch to tell that it's faster? I'm thinking about getting a 357 or 361 myself. I haven't decided which one I like better! ;)

Is it a noticeably faster or do you have to use a stopwatch to tell that it's faster? I'm thinking about getting a 357 or 361 myself. I haven't decided which one I like better! ;)

If you like ergonomics and dont want to clean filter for every tankfull get husky :hmm3grin2orange:

If you like ergonomics and dont want to clean filter for every tankfull get husky :hmm3grin2orange:

I got to get off my butt and get to cutting, but I want to say it is my impression (don't own one yet) that the 361 air filter stays cleaner than the old saws. My older 026 dirties the air filter in literally 2 tanks to the point I have to swap it out. (I keep a second air filter for all my recleanable saws.)

seems the 361 does much better than that.

I got to get off my butt and get to cutting, but I want to say it is my impression (don't own one yet) that the 361 air filter stays cleaner than the old saws. My older 026 dirties the air filter in literally 2 tanks to the point I have to swap it out. (I keep a second air filter for all my recleanable saws.)

seems the 361 does much better than that.

But the question is, if its clean after 40 tanks?

I am going to buy a 361 next time I'm at the place I buy my non-dolmars. My thinking is that for what I do, I like the flatter power band and more open side cover (for noodles) of the 361 a bit better. I believe the 357 cuts faster in small and medium wood, though.

Never used them both side by side, but for firewooding my impression is what bwalker says, the 357 would outperform the 361 a bit.

I hear modding the 361 gives good gains....

All the BS about timed cuts and crap don't mean a thing to a guy cuttin' firewood and such.:bang: It's like arguing that one brand of 59cc saw weighs 1/2 a pound more than the other... blah, blah, blah...

Happy reading:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=43053&highlight=361

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=43018&highlight=361

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=43030&highlight=361

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=41719&highlight=361

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=36172&highlight=361

Gary

I am going to buy a 361 next time I'm at the place I buy my non-dolmars. My thinking is that for what I do, I like the flatter power band and more open side cover (for noodles) of the 361 a bit better. I believe the 357 cuts faster in small and medium wood, though.

Never used them both side by side, but for firewooding my impression is what bwalker says, the 357 would outperform the 361 a bit.

I believe you got all that pretty right! :rockn: :rockn:

Just wondering how large your medium wood are.....:blob2: :blob2:

Yes it does... just a simple muffler mod will do it. Gave mine more grunt in bigger wood. Plus it sounds cool.:biggrinbounce2:

The last reports from EHP says he is getting more out of the 361, than the 357xp and 359 - it wasn't allways that way.....

...not that I care much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back