new to site, chainsaw reviews

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe you got all that pretty right! :rockn: :rockn:

Just wondering how large your medium wood are.....:blob2: :blob2:

In my case since it is the wood itself I am after, I very seldom am cutting anything less than 18 inches in diamater. Typically lately everything has been 24 and up. Generally less than 36 -38 inches diameter though (biggest was 67 inches on tape). The exception is when I have to limb the log to get to what I want.

My numbers are using a tape measure. My experience with most people telling me how big the wood is from memory is that they are hugely optimistic. If I had $1 for every time a homeowner (or arborist including my brother) said the wood was 36 inches and it turned out to be maybe 24 (which is a stick compared to 36), I could afford to drink the good stuff that Lakeside drinks.

The 361 would be for trimming up blocks once they have been sized down. So I would run a 20" bar and would only sometimes bury it completely.

Also I'll add in that for me the real work is not simply cutting "rounds." I cut up the tree into very select rectangular blocks, which usually involves lots of grunting, wrestling wood and mountains of noodles. When I go out and simply buck up a couple cords of 26" inch wood for firewood, it is a cakewalk.

Last edited:
But the question is, if its clean after 40 tanks?

That really doesn'nt matter if you do routine maintenance, as you should anyway- and the MS361 filter is far easier to clean..........:heart:

Last edited:
But the question is, if its clean after 40 tanks?

Good point there Blis. Them orange Poulans are pretty good about filters but few, if any, ever live long enough to see 40 tanks of fuel,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

That really doesn'nt matter if you do routine maintenance, as you should anyway- and the MS361 filter is far easier to clean..........:heart:

Thats right, tellem baby, tellem how it is, oppppppppppps, sorry SawTroll I got alot of doo glue on my hair today,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Thats right, tellem baby, tellem how it is, oppppppppppps, sorry SawTroll I got alot of doo glue on my hair today,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

So tell me why is Stihl changing there design starting with the 441 ?:popcorn:

Good point there Blis. Them orange Poulans are pretty good about filters but few, if any, ever live long enough to see 40 tanks of fuel,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

awww, hate to break your fantasy but my 353 has had MORE than 40 tanks throught it and filters like new still and the saw runs like a champ...

:hmm3grin2orange:

awww, hate to break your fantasy but my 353 has had MORE than 40 tanks throught it and filters like new still and the saw runs like a champ...

:hmm3grin2orange:

That right, how many can ya show me thats got 40 years under their belt, hmmmmmmmmm,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

in my area the 357xp gets overlooked by guys for some reason.
midsize saw,everybody heads to the stihl dealer.
I only have seen one 357 in use and it seemed very responsive and strong.
I have a 5100 and although it is a great saw,it will not hang with a 361 or a 357xp,you are giving up about 10cc's with the dolmar.

Because of "heavier" EPA in the future, and the patent on the Air Injection system went out........

It was just time - the basic design of the Stihl pro line is over 20 years old and stihl selling fine, but with EPA, UK transmitted vibration limts, etc etc, time to wrap up a bunch of enhancements into the new design in one move instead of incremental model changes every few years.

You'll be interested to know the air injection thingy was never patented by anyone in the chainsaw world. Heck, the same idea is in Dysan vacuum cleaners, wood dust extraction system and a host of other products.

... You'll be interested to know the air injection thingy was never patented by anyone in the chainsaw world. Heck, the same idea is in Dysan vacuum cleaners, wood dust extraction system and a host of other products.

That sure are interesting info! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back