new to site, chainsaw reviews

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been cutting wood for several years, since I was a teenager, I am not entirely happy with the power of the 357xp and want something that can handle larger oaks when I have to tackle them..

Thankyou Thall for taking the time to respond in thorough detail. I hear you on the saw thing...I am sure the controls/comfort are fine, I just don't want a dog i.e. lack of sack on the big oaks...

Danp I don't know what your planning on cutting but a 5 horse saw will take down just about any tree in the woods. 5 and half horses is alot of power in saw terms.

I guess to gethca away from the no power fear your gonna have to start another thread called "575xp USERS" It seems to me they have the very information your seeking so go start the thread. I'd be very surprized if one says that saw has no power. Go start that thread and lets see..

575xp users....thanks thall....

Hi guys, I recently purchased two saws, a 575xp, and a 357xp. I just begun to use the 357 last weekend on some red oak. The performance with a 16" bar was OK...although people say it will improve upon break-in. I am concerned that the 575xp will not have that much more grunt than the 357xp. I want a second saw that can easily chew up large oak without complaining...will it or is the 575xp adequate? thankyou guys...

I have been cutting wood for several years, since I was a teenager, I am not entirely happy with the power of the 357xp and want something that can handle larger oaks when I have to tackle them..

Not ragging on you, but based on your dirth of "lacks power" posts, it would seem to me that user error is a major contributing factor. There is a big difference between using a saw for years and using a saw for years correctly. A lot can be said for proper technique. I am often astounded when I am called in to clean up after an aborted DIY by a long time weekend warrior type cutter. Maybe I'm way off base.

I agree with thall, a 5 horse saw is big enough saw to take down about any tree in the woods. I would run about 8 more tanks of fuel through the 357xp, before you decide what you want. Lets put it this way, when I first got all my saws they where tight. They only start to run, when they have at least 10-14 tanks of fuel run through them. My 440 would smoke the 460 when I first got the 460. Now they run side by side in the cut. But the 460 has a lot more torque than the 440. And yes a 1hp jump in saws is like 100hp in cars.:rock: :)

I am not saying the 357 sucks, it's just not a complete power house like I was told, at least I don't think so. It works fine, but I'm not like holy sh** this things fast! I am just concerned that the 575xp may not have the grunt...maybe I'm waaay off, that's why I'm asking while I could still return it as a new saw, rather than as a used one.

575=boat anchor

care to elaborate, first time poster, or ya just tryin' to stir the pot....

the 575 is supposed to replace the 372. it does't. it's heavier and slower. i thought new saws were redesinged to be "lighter, faster, smoother". not in this case. the 575 isn't a pimple on a 372's BUTT!

Howdy danp76,

If you want send them saws down here to WV and I will break them in for you and even give you a report on how they did. Shoot I will even have the wife take pictures. Just figured I would help and give you a third option. Run em.

v/r

Mike

Remember that specs on a sheet of paper do not tell the whole story of how a saw will perform:D Even though some would have you believe otherwise;) ;)
I'll bet you're gonna like it:hmm3grin2orange:
Let us know how she runs!

What he said, good post minkota! :clap:

Ha very funny hahah, I just don't wanna waste money on an inadequate saw and figured I would ATTEMTPT to get some honest answers on how well the 575 will perform in large oak...guess that still remains unknown.....

Ha very funny hahah, I just don't wanna waste money on an inadequate saw and figured I would ATTEMTPT to get some honest answers on how well the 575 will perform in large oak...guess that still remains unknown.....

It remains unknown until you push away from the desk...walk outside...put some gas and oil in that 575 and see if it does what you want.Nobody here can tell you whether it will do the job you want it to do,or how happy you'll be with it.:deadhorse:

I totally understand what you are saying. However, I am not sure if this saw is designed or capable of larger oak cutting without over working it?? Seems like soo many people on here go for the 460's, or 385's or 395's or 7900's and I don't think they are cutting redwoods... All I'm saying is want plenty of honest input if many think it's marginal or sorta week for big oak I'll upgrade. I DON'T WANNA RUN SAW YET BECAUSE IT'S NEW AND WANNA KEEP IT THAT WAY IF I HAVE TO UPGRADE. OTHER WISE I'LL LOOSE TOO MUCH BECAUSE IT WILL BE CONSIDER A USED SAW!! THAT IS WHY ALL THE CONCERN!!

You are not going to know how it is till you run one or it bottom line. I have saws of every color and every size. I cut wood all week, I run the 575 because I like it. Some don't, I don't care. It ain't the best on paper, I don't give a big dogs hind leg. I cut wood, smash stuff with my skidder and have fun. I like the 575, does that mean you will like it heck no! Go run it and see what you think. Even if you can't trade it back to the dealer Ebay it, and for the record I do cut some pretty big oak/hickory/ash with it.

just wanted honest opinions so if it is underpowered for large hardwood or saw has to work too hard in large oak, I'll trade up. I just don't wanna lose hundreds by selling it used, seems foolish. Crank it up a few times just to lose hundreds if it doesn't have the sack.

HA HA HA, YOU already bought saw. Did some slick salesman talk you into it? You should have made an attempt to get some honest info before you laid down the greenbacks. Get one of those Jonsered Turbos and attach it to your saw, then it will definitely have enough power to shread those big oaks!

Take the 575 back(which is what you seem to want to hear) and trade it for a 385 or 395,that'll end your inadequate power concerns :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back