new to the site!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to AS.
Maybe the knot you are referring to is the one in the bottom of this picture.
attachment.php

I don't have any information for you as I have not used that particular knot.
:cheers:

You are the man PineFever!!! That is the knot. I know I had seen it some where other than that stinking book. Thanks for posting the pic I will be giving it a shot on monday. I did some playing with the VT today and I do like it! I am using a knot tender, I have a micro-pully on both my climb line and the lanyard. Dude thats sweet! Where did you find the pic?
Marc

Welcome, put on your hard hat, lower the muffs and prepare to duck from time to time, but in between some of the flame wars you will glean some VERY useful information!

More important than your friction hitch since you already have a pulley slack tending set up is to get yourself a microcender set up for your lanyard. I use a bee line set up with an easy to open aluminum snap. You're out of touch if you do not have a camming device for a lanyard adjuster these days.

Why are you of the opinion that a camming device is so far superior to a hitch? My distel and micro pulley have very little slack and is easy to release under load...I'm willing to hear you out though...

Why are you of the opinion that a camming device is so far superior to a hitch? My distel and micro pulley have very little slack and is easy to release under load...I'm willing to hear you out though...

I was curious about that too. I'm quite happy with a VT and micro pulley on my lanyard. Eric uses a camming device. Haven't tried it but I don't really see the benefit. And like others have said, you can't release it under load. That's a BIG problem to me.

You are the man PineFever!!! That is the knot. I know I had seen it some where other than that stinking book. Thanks for posting the pic I will be giving it a shot on monday. I did some playing with the VT today and I do like it! I am using a knot tender, I have a micro-pully on both my climb line and the lanyard. Dude thats sweet! Where did you find the pic?
Marc

You can loose the pulley altogether with the VT if you want to. It tends slack very easily. The swivel snap works fine for tending slack with that hitch. Treeco advised me when I was learning that hitch. He's the one that told me I could loose the pulley. Just one less link in the chain. The braids in the VT make it very easy to tend slack by bending the line and also keeps the coils from binding on the prussic when loaded.

I have posted this before but this is the VT rig I am climbing on now:

dadbuck008-2.jpg

You can loose the pulley altogether with the VT if you want to. It tends slack very easily. The swivel snap works fine for tending slack with that hitch. Treeco advised me when I was learning that hitch. He's the one that told me I could loose the pulley. Just one less link in the chain. The braids in the VT make it very easy to tend slack by bending the line and also keeps the coils from binding on the prussic when loaded.

I have posted this before but this is the VT rig I am climbing on now:

dadbuck008-2.jpg

I think they are questioning the use of a microcender on the lanyard instead of a bulky vt/pulley set up.

Is that what you are referring to Bermie and BM?

If that is true, can I see a pict of all that hook up when you go to make a cut. Must be very busy in appearance and use.

Yes they are speaking of the lanyard setup with the pulley. My post was not in reference to that. He said he was experimenting with the VT so I thought I would give him an idea what he can do with that.

I am familiar with using a prussic to tend slack on my lanyard but I haven't done so in years. It is what a lot of modern climbers are using now though.

A distel or the like with a micro pulley is very popular for lanyard adjustment now. However, I am using a steel core flip line and the manufacturer specifically states to not use a bend with the flip line (like the Becket Bend). I'm not sure how well a friction hitch would work with a steel core so I, like you, still use a microcender. The benefit of using a friction hitch is that it can be let out while you have your weight on it. I personally have no problems using a microcender.

Yes they are speaking of the lanyard setup with the pulley. My post was not in reference to that. He said he was experimenting with the VT so I thought I would give him an idea what he can do with that.

I am familiar with using a prussic to tend slack on my lanyard but I haven't done so in years. It is what a lot of modern climbers are using now though.

A distel or the like with a micro pulley is very popular for lanyard adjustment now. However, I am using a steel core flip line and the manufacturer specifically states to not use a bend with the flip line (like the Becket Bend). I'm not sure how well a friction hitch would work with a steel core so I, like you, still use a microcender. The benefit of using a friction hitch is that it can be let out while you have your weight on it. I personally have no problems using a microcender.

The cams eat up a production climbers lanyard in six months. Are you using 5/8th's or 1/2".
Jeff :)

Well after a day of climbing, I have tried three differant knots. First was the VT. I am not to sure of the slack that I felt with this. By "slack" I am referring to the amount of space that is needed to tighten up after you pull yourself up the tree. I am not sure if I need to explain what I am talking about here in more detail or not. I felt there was about 4-6"s of travel before the knot grabbed. I then switched to the michocan and found that it did work well however the amount of force that it took to slid up was rather significant compared to the Disteal. I then went to the swabich and I guess I will stay with the Disteal. I really am only saying these things because I am literally hanging over power lines that carry high voltage. 7.2kv and higher. Some of the lines are transmission lines that feed entire citys. 1 whoops around that kind of power will result in Death. I have seen a climbers rope get burnt from this power and the rope was about three feet from the line.

The cams eat up a production climbers lanyard in six months. Are you using 5/8th's or 1/2".

Jeff, I am a production climber. I won't go into my numbers but rest assured, I climb lots of trees. During our last ice storm I climbed 31 days straight without a day off. I used the same steel core and microcender for 3 years before I had to replace my flip cord. and then only because I damaged it when i nicked it with my saw. I am still using the same microcender after 4 years. All I have replaced is the flip line. And that is after filling about a dozen job books...

Trailduster:

The VT is a little finicky. I had to play around with mine to get it to grab well with little slack. I had to shorten my eye2eye significantly to get it where it worked well and I could still stand to shorten it a bit. I agree though, Working over that kind of hazard, you need to be working with a hitch that you have total confidence in. Whatever works best for you is your best choice.

"you need to be working with a hitch that you have total confidence in."

Good point. I belive I will stick with my comfort zone. As far as pullys go I have had two pullys on my gear for the last two years, The same pullys that my dad used on hes 15+ years of climbing. Still work great.

"you need to be working with a hitch that you have total confidence in."

Good point. I belive I will stick with my comfort zone. As far as pullys go I have had two pullys on my gear for the last two years, The same pullys that my dad used on hes 15+ years of climbing. Still work great.

Just don't nick your lanyard with your saw once a week like Jeff's rookies and it will last you for a couple of years... :greenchainsaw:

Marc

It was in the Western Chapter ISA Certification Tree worker guide in 2006
According to the ISA the material for tree climber certification included six knots, 1. Blake's 2. Tautline 3. Knut 4.Schwabisch 5.Distel 6.Michocano
If you like I can post pics of all of them.
:cheers:

I will take a conservative guess and say that perhaps 90% of all the tree work has been (and still is being done) with the Taut line

I will take a conservative guess and say that perhaps 90% of all the tree work has been (and still is being done) with the Taut line
great knot many years of comfort and joy , ya gotta know yer history, btw welcome trail duster what towns are you near are you trimming for holy cross?

welcome trail duster what towns are you near are you trimming for holy cross?

No I am not working around the Holy Cross area. However i have been there with a 4 wheeling club. Beutiful place. I am actualy working out of the woodland park district. Contracted threw IREA. Wright tree service is the company I am under. My butt is beat today. trimmed two monster pines today each of which took over two hours each. I really dont think it would be so bad If I didn't have to hike forever to get to them. The mountain slopes going up and down is what really whips ya.
Marc

No I am not working around the Holy Cross area. However i have been there with a 4 wheeling club. Beutiful place. I am actualy working out of the woodland park district. Contracted threw IREA. Wright tree service is the company I am under. My butt is beat today. trimmed two monster pines today each of which took over two hours each. I really dont think it would be so bad If I didn't have to hike forever to get to them. The mountain slopes going up and down is what really whips ya.
Marc

Sounds like you are getting a set. After that is the tough skin, and after that is the ragging on ya!

Today was an intresting day! We had a tree laying over the line and every time the wind would blow this tree would come closer and closer to the line. We found this tree at about noon. Made some phone calls and with in 3 hours help arived. We ended up having the power company come out and shut power off to all houses in the area. (Thay pulled the fuse at a main power poll.) Then thay came and droped the line to the ground rolled it up and moved out of the way. We droped the tree and the power company reinstalled the line and turned the power back on. I did take pictures of the tree and the root system to you all what we see. However!!! I still need to get this figured out as to how to attatch the images. There on my computer. I feel retarded not knowing how to do this. (please no insults intended on the word "retarded") I can send them so someone more computer literate to have them added. Any way the tree in now safely on the ground and no one got hurt. Great plus for us and the company. I took the pictures with my cell and am really impressed with the quality!
Marc

Back