new toy jonsered 52E

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain dangers

partner 1633B (skil) chainsaw
Reaction score
I purchased a non running stihl 028 super today off a local chap who goes around various auctions here in the u.k whilst I was there I asked if he had any other saws lying around for sale, and he took me into his barn and showed me a pile of saws etc, well I managed to secure a nice looking jonsered 52E and a partner 5000 , I got them home this afternoon, the stihl is up and running like a new one again and done very little work. the partner 5000 I flung under the bench for now as it needs a fuel cap and possibly carb kit etc.? I did tinker with the jonsered, it has good compression and even a working chain brake to my surprise, but unfortunately no spark!

I took the recoil housing off cleaned the secondary coil, then removed the flywheel and cleaned up the primary coil, it doesn't appear to have points , so I presume its electronic ignition? I put it all back together and still there's no spark, and wandered if any of you had any experience with these saws,. is they anything I can do to check the secondary coil? and are parts still available or do they share the same coil as the jonserd 49sp? I also tried the ignition with the kill wire pulled off the switch to no avail, be a shame to see it gathering dust or broken for parts as its a very honest saw.

Attachments

• jonsered 52e 003.JPG
    jonsered 52e 003.JPG
    591.4 KB · Views: 20
  • jonsered 52e 001.JPG
    jonsered 52e 001.JPG
    592.1 KB · Views: 21
  • jonsered 52e 005.JPG
    jonsered 52e 005.JPG
    467.7 KB · Views: 18
There is but one or two things to try...be certain the electrical connection between the recoil cover and the case is making contact. I usually place one of the recoil bolt wavy washers between the connectors. The spark coil rarely goes out......99 times out of 100 it's the module under the flywheel. The other thing to inspect the two wires where they exit the module, the insulation fails at this point....might be shorting or grounding out. The 52E shares nothing with the 49SP ignitionwise except the spark plug and the kill switch. All parts are NLA.....this is probably why a nice saw was in the junk pile.... The bright spot is the 52E does share the ignition system with the 70E.......the parts carry different part numbers but the only difference is the length of the connection wires. However either module is hard to come by......they show upon ebay from time to time...or look for another parts saw with spark. Sorry the news isn't better.....52E is a very heavy duty example of a 49cc Pro Built Saw.... BTW your saw is a Jonsereds not a Jonsered.......the Jonsereds company has been out of business 30 odd years......

thanks for the reply I only paid £20 for it so nothing lost as its worth more in parts but I will hang on to it just in case some parts come up, I did actually make sure the contact points were touching, and I inspected the wires for chaffing etc and all was well when I had the module off. thanks again captain dangerous ;o)

Latest posts

Back