New Toy - Need Tips on Skidding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren_nh

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently bought this. Had to sell the motorcycle to get it :mad:, but I will get more use from this.

attachment.php

I am planning on skidding some trees from the side woodlot for firewood. I figure there are two ways, use the FEL or the 3 point hitch. Any preference? Is one way safer than the other?

I have chain and skidding tongs for the operation.

Looking for recommendations from someone with a like size tractor. It is 25hp and 4WD.

OH!..... and I am not spending another $3k on a winch set up.

Thanks.

Unless you have lots of weight on the rear, I wouldn't use the FEL, unless the logs are light. Use the rear. I drag mine w/ a chain, from a box blade that I have a 2" hitch ball welded to. If needed, I can choke up on the log and lift it off the ground a foot or so, and it skids easier w/o digging in the dirt.
FWIW, I also have chain hooks welded on the bucket, and do use it if the logs are light, otherwise you will have handling problems and/or raise the rear of the tractor off the ground. Also, traction becomes a problem w/ any tractor moving a heavy load backwards, as Ag tires are designed to go forward.

Unless you have lots of weight on the rear, I wouldn't use the FEL, unless the logs are light. Use the rear. I drag mine w/ a chain, from a box blade that I have a 2" hitch ball welded to. If needed, I can choke up on the log and lift it off the ground a foot or so, and it skids easier w/o digging in the dirt.
FWIW, I also have chain hooks welded on the bucket, and do use it if the logs are light, otherwise you will have handling problems and/or raise the rear of the tractor off the ground. Also, traction becomes a problem w/ any tractor moving a heavy load backwards, as Ag tires are designed to go forward.

Yes, use the three point to lift the butt end up a little, thats half the battle right there. It also keeps the log cleaner. Put some wieght in the bucket and keep it low.

I would only pull off the drawbar. Reason I say this.. I was jerking on a log and pulled apart one of the lift arms while chained to the grader box. The adjustable one.. Damage to the tune of 250+.
The draw bar was meant to be tugged harder on these smaller tractors.
The front loader lifting will make the tractor very very tippy as you will soon find out I am sure.

I would fab up a contraption to the 3 point that I could hook tongs to. Lift straight up and drive. Your chainsaw will thank you.

Nice tractor:clap: Looks like a good weight box on it too. I like loading my logs on a running gear and keeping them out of the dirt altogether. I have two closed hooks on my tractor directly in line with where the bucket hooks to the loader. You can bend the bucket by having a hook in the center of the bucket as it does not have much strength there. Someone here made forks out of a truck leaf spring for loading logs. When ever you have a log in the bucket you have to make sure that you do not drive into a hole or over a mound or log that can tip you off center and over.

The only problem with my B21 is that I can only lift 930lbs. But it can pick up a 20' long spruce!

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

Billy

Nice tractor:clap: Looks like a good weight box on it too. I like loading my logs on a running gear and keeping them out of the dirt altogether. I have two closed hooks on my tractor directly in line with where the bucket hooks to the loader. You can bend the bucket by having a hook in the center of the bucket as it does not have much strength there. Someone here made forks out of a truck leaf spring for loading logs. When ever you have a log in the bucket you have to make sure that you do not drive into a hole or over a mound or log that can tip you off center and over.

The only problem with my B21 is that I can only lift 930lbs. But it can pick up a 20' long spruce!

Billy

Nice pics Cowboy!!

You fellas got some really nice toys...!:cheers:

I recently bought this. Had to sell the motorcycle to get it :mad:, but I will get more use from this.

attachment.php

I am planning on skidding some trees from the side woodlot for firewood. I figure there are two ways, use the FEL or the 3 point hitch. Any preference? Is one way safer than the other?

Looking for recommendations from someone with a like size tractor. It is 25hp and 4WD.

Thanks.

Nice tractor. You might miss the bike but a tractor is a very useful thing to have. I sold a boat that I wasn't using that much to help pay for mine.

B7610009.jpg

Nice tractor. You might miss the bike but a tractor is a very useful thing to have. I sold a boat that I wasn't using that much to help pay for mine.

B7610009.jpg

I was hoping to get some R4's for mine, but the dealer has been most unhelpful.

Nice tractor!

I was able to keep the boat (at least for now).

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

Billy

Nice set up Cowboy Billy, I need to add a couple hooks like that on my bucket too.

I have similar hooks (4) and a ball hitch mounted on my bucket, but was concerned about what others have said with the machine becoming tippy.

I figure the weight box is at least 500 pounds as it is filled with rocks and cast iron window weights.

Here is a pic of the bucket setup.

attachment.php

Thanks Thombat4

Thanks Peter. Having two chains really helps control the log and a lot easier to keep it level. With only one chain its hard to find center and it swings all over the place.

Darren its hard to see in the picture but mine has a backhoe on it so I have plenty of rear weight. The kubotas have a short wheel base so you do not want to jam on the brakes with a load in the air. I run heavy equ for a living and am used to lifting and paying attention to what I am driving over and how it will affect what I am doing. Do not do anything you feel unsafe or uncomfortable with. I was climbing a very steep hill with a backhoe and the front tires came off of the ground and it started swinging around on the hill I had to use the brakes to stop it put the back bucket on the ground and back off of it. Then back up the hill to keep from flipping over. It sure gets the heart beating when you push it that far!!!!! Whenever caring anything in the bucket you want to keep it close to the ground and only lift it when you are near what you want to put the load on. Preferably on hard ground.

Billy

Billy

attachment.php

Thanks.

Awww, how cute! a baby tractor... :jester:

Very nice tractors guys. I miss the one I used to use. My parents had an apple orchard and we had like a 35-40hp kabota. I generally used the loader for moving logs. The hydralics would stop before the tractor got tippy. We didn't have the hooks though.

Chris

darren if you got a cross bar for the 3PH you could lift the base end of the tree 6" or so...makes a big difference in hauling.

The FEL is OK but if you lift and carry logs with it you'll be repacking the bucket lift cylinders more often. It's no big deal but imo drawing logs with the 3PH will serve you better in the long run.

Yeah you can use the bucket to jockey the logs in a pile ..that's OK. But to carry shifting logs like that will jack up your 'O' rings and packing.

I really want a bike, but think you made a good choice.

You can certainly try "picking" the logs with the front if you want. To me "skidding" means actually pulling it along the ground...and for that I'd go 3pt hitch all the way.

FEL are great, but I think on most small tractors like that they are either the weak link or make your front tires/axles the weak link.

3pt. hitch all the way! The thing is designed to pull things forward, not the other way around. Keep the FEL for pushing and hauling things around the house...or for a chainsaw/tool box.

Awww, how cute! a baby tractor... :jester:

There's always one :)

Cowboy Billy, I used to run larger machines, but it has been 20 years. If you look at the original picture, you will see that there is a substantial weight box on the back. I am sure it isn't as heavy as a backhoe, but certainly helps.

I have a drawbar, and will try that first as it sounds saver than the FEL.

Back