new toys...erm, uh tools - what's next?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Definitive Dave

wanna-be saw racer, saw hoarder, parts whore
Reaction score
the voices in my head tell me to buy chainsaws
So after more reading here, I picked up a new compression gauge set and mityvac pump at Sears today.
I finally won an auction for a Stihl 066 with brand new OEM engine, so I'll be like a kid before Christmas waiting for the UPS man on Thursday :)
Anyway tomorrow I am picking up the first load of parts, manuals, ephemera and saws from a small shop I bought out this week.
I plan on getting a bunch of the cabinets of OEM small parts first as they should be easy to list online and I am only really interested in keeping some Stihl stuff I might use and the mill, etc.
I figure I will grab a few of the more interesting looking saws in this first load. I remember a giant Remington that looked like a 50's era Chevy.
I have plenty of tools and enough basic mechanical skill to usually know when it is time to take something to the pros for service :)

QUESTION: is there a quick and somewhat easy way to give a saw that hasn't run in years a once over to determine if it should be restored or a parts donor ?

So much to read, so much to learn.

QUESTION TWO (the sequel): is a MS362 a good candidate for a woods port/general tuning ?

QUESTION THREE (to cash in on popularity of the original, starring Lindsey Lohan, so very, very sad) - is there an easy way to link to my chainsaw pics in photobucket?

thanks,
Dave

Can't help with photo posting but we need some pics to see what goodies you scored.

Nice score!

Q1: Go through the basics and check the crank bearings for play.

Q2: Ask Randy.

Q3: Yes. Go to photo ..... get links .... copy the one for IMG code .... paste into your AS post ... save. Easy peasy.

NOW with added COLOR!!!

IMG_2088_zps23aba2ea.jpg

Stihl parts and NOS parts below
IMG_2087_zps1de2b76e.jpg

more Stihl and NOS parts
IMG_2092_zps3474a176.jpg

some saws and a mill
IMG_2090_zps446118d4.jpg

mcculloughs!!
IMG_2089_zps6aeae083.jpg

crazy looking blue saw
IMG_2089_zps6aeae083.jpg

NOS bagged manuals and assorted whatnots
IMG_2082_zps326c7ec2.jpg

1987 NOS calendar and a chain measuring guide to quickly identify length, number of drive links, pitch, shape, religious orientation, etc.
IMG_2081_zpsbd631a3e.jpg

Stihl parts a hangin'

IMG_2079_zps1cfd1216.jpg

more Stihl parts
IMG_2078_zpsb6b6c74a.jpg

I think mostly pioneer stuff in this area
IMG_2077_zps80cdccfd.jpg

well more stuff actually
IMG_2076_zpsf404fdb2.jpg

more Stihl in the rafters
IMG_2075_zps91603e34.jpg

new chain and NOS and new sprockets (now is the time on sprockets when we dance)
IMG_2074_zps259709d7.jpg

chain and sprockets and bearings OH MY!!

Three posts of pics awaiting moderation, be patient and if there is anything you want more, better pics of just ask as I will be picking up some stuff tomorrow and can snap more shots.
I spent two hours in that shop looking around and then he said "oh yeah there are a bunch of saws up in the rafters too" we grabbed a flashlight and sure enough, more saws and a big pile of saw cases.
I bought everything except his personal tool box full 'o tools, the air compressor, a pulling tractor with a stack of tires and transmissions and 5 customer's saws in for service (all Stihls, including an 066 that made me drool :).
He is also keeping his grandfather's Stihl dealer sales awards and personal snapshots.
The row of service manuals was two shelves high and the length of two banquet tables!!! Plus a microfiche machine with all the parts and service info for Stihl , McCullough etc.

Dave

QUESTION: is there a quick and somewhat easy way to give a saw that hasn't run in years a once over to determine if it should be restored or a parts donor ?

Answer: put some fresh fuel in it and see if it starts....if not work back to see why not. Air, spark, fuel....got em or get em.

Are you planning to open up shop or hobby
I would be saw drunk around all that vintage:dizzy:
I get that way when there is to much to look at

Nice score! How much for that husky banner hanging on the wall? :smile2:

My plan is to set aside the parts I think I might realistically need (my crew does about six weeks of tree work each year) and then sell off everything else.
I will be setting up the sponsorship thing here at Arboristsite.com. Probably mostly the Bay, but I'll try to put stuff here in the trading post first. My plan is to send items to seasoned (tenured?) members upon request and ask them to pay after they receive them. Seems reasonable since I am not really known here.

If you see something you want, shoot me a price, my investment is such that I will be inclined to accept, though reasonable fairness in offers is certainly appreciated.

Dave

Most of us would be like a kid in a candy store. I'd say the Mac guys will be along soon (I have no clue about macs) but it looked like quite a few big saws, and one poulan on one of the shelves looked large. Saw some misc Stihl parts here and there, some boxed, but did not get my eyes on something I was craving :help:(perhaps an old 038 magnum or such :msp_ohmy:)

Keep us posted. That is a very nice looking score! :msp_thumbup:

DD you might think about having a garage sale so to speak. There are quit a few members here in Ohio who i bet would make trip to Col to have a look at what you have. Just a thought. There is mucho stuff to go thru from what is in the photos.

Latest posts

Back