New Truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Largest it will take. You will appreciate it time and time again. Just be sure it will handle the weight of the chips and pull the load...plus the chipper.

This one is getting a Flat Dump or a dump with 3' sides. It will be a log Toter and bobcat hauler. My buddy has an international with a DT466 in it as well he pulls a 4500Lb trailer with a 10000 lb Bobcat T-300 and a 8000 lb Bobcat 331 excavator simultaneously. That DT466 is supposed to be a Heck of an engine. :blob2:

Pimp my ride anyone? LOL seriously, that truck is rather nice. I'd put as large of a dump bed as the truck can handle on it, and go from there. Is that stick or automatic?

Its what they call 6 Plus. it is a 7 speed Manual plus reverse of course.

Does the Engine look Clean or What?

Congrats to you DDM...that is a great looking rig. They are pricey but I would put a chip box on it for some secure tool storage.
International diesel motors rock.
David

suggestions...

The largest dump body it can take will be determined by your frame rails! Make sure you look at the frame starting behind the rear spring hangers. It is common to lengthen the frame for box bodies like that. But that is not good for making dump trucks.
I assume you will be sourcing out the job, so where ever you take it, they will tell you the max body size. If you need a heavy duty plate hitch on the rear to tow a trailer, be sure to tell them that! That will make a difference on the body length, since you cant have alot of rear body overhang, and a hitch at the same time..

Nice truck,
Ron

Alright I'm going to have the 16' Bed and Cylinders taken from this this Truck and installed on the international. It will be Sanblasted and painted first of course.

hate to say so now but the wheel bas e looks a little long. rear wheels back too far. might put too much weight toward front axle and could cause problems.

thomas281 said:
hate to say so now but the wheel bas e looks a little long. rear wheels back too far. might put too much weight toward front axle and could cause problems.

I Know i will probably have to Slide the axle :cry:

i have a 1995 dt 466 international, auto trans , and nice a/c. anyway when i bought mine it was similar to yours. it cost me 750.00 to have frame and drive shaft cut down. i used asplundh specs on wheel base , man it really has a great turning radius and is perfectly balanced.

I ran a 466 in an 79 2155 cut and streched to be an oil truck.Its fuel pump was rated for 210 horsepower .Only problem was fuel pump would not idle,needed rebuild or replace,i dont remember,but it was a bosch, though.I cut the muffler off and redid it with stainless flex pipe,four inch.I think it gave it some snap,to be sure ,and you should have heard the exhaust note through the stack,turbo music ,for sure.Be sure its geared good for pulling,to save clutch wear.55-60 Mph is plenty,looks good though..

Also it never burned a drop of oil with 150 -200 miles a day plus idiling while peddling oil and was easy to service.Its a wet sleeve engine so most rebuilds can be done in chassis,not that you will have to worry about it.

I Loaded it Full of 16' Logs today and Pulled my S-250. Pulled Great,Handled great I'm wundering now if i need to Slide the axle. I'f it wasnt Dark i'd get a picture with the load.

You will have to watch about overloading the front axle especially being that is the lighter axle used by International it only has a rating of 8000lbs at the most. You do have some options the first one is never put anymore than 12,000lbs on the truck. The 2nd option is find a heavier front axle and springs with a 10,000lb rating.

With that small axle you will be wearing out king pins yearly if you don't grease them weekly you may get 6 months out of them. The local school bus fleet that services this area has the light front axle like that one the king pins and bushings are replaced yearly and thats under a bus with a gas engine.

The truck you have is a 3 ton pretty much a step above a F-550 Ford not many people around here use 3 ton trucks unless its a low pro with 19.5 wheels.

Truck

DDM said:
Well Okay its new to Me. Should i put a 14' or 16' Dump bed on it?
Id put a 16' on with an l-pack and all options.

Latest posts

Back