New 'visitor/customer' let them in the shop??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Living in a very small village in the middle of butt crack nowhere, everyone knows where I live and that I have a lot of saws.

I don't worry about stuff like this because I don't have to.............yet.

My shop, or my house, is very rarely locked anyway, keeps my buddies from breaking the door when they need a power tool.

Your guy, however, sounds a little off, I agree with not showing him any more than you absolutely have to.:mad:

There are a bunch of thieves running around these days, I would meet the guy with a few scare tactics at first, just to see if he wants a saw bad enough to get past you asking him if he can squeal like a pig. Seems to work for me.

Well,

I spoke with him some more, WAY before I agreed to have him meet me...he said even if i wasn't wanting wither of his saws, he wanted to buy atleast one...This is where the fun begins :D

He didn't seem sure of what he wanted (size, price, cost, make...etc) which was the initial reason I was a bit skeptical...so I grabbed a 40cc (husky 41, new bar/chain)couple 50cc saws (dealer demo J-red 2050, J-red 510SP like new 18" .325), and a 60cc Craftsman colored Poulan 3800, like new...

I did end up meeting him here...with all signs pointing that my 'shop' was on the other side of town. I had 4 saws for him to take a peek at ; sitting on the tailgate of the truck...cause they came from the shop of course ;) I WOULD HAVE definitely met him up the street @ Home Depot, or the car dealer, but the starter in the Diesel needs new brushes, and I forgot the wife was working after school ARGH!

Anyway, in pulls a gold lexus (here we go :laugh:...I NEW!! this was the reason i put that post on AS!! THANKS GuYS!!

2.brazilian guys (Uncle and Nephew; who is the owner of the landscape/firewood co...) They seem pleasant, and about business.

FOREWORD:

Man, I'll tell yeah, these guys negotiate (READ: LOWBALL ) more than I do!!! :dizzy:

They first want to show and offer me their 2 broken 350's (or rather, ask what i would give for them...:rolleyes:) The they say 140 (one ran, but chain spins...issue with the clutch, the other, has no comp...I told them the last two I bought were $60/pr. one ran. They said 130... UM...yeah, NO.

I was asking $250 for the j-red 2050, which was too much for them :rolleyes:

long story short, they beat me down $70 for the three saws they chose, and only came down $30 for thier broken stuff. what the :censored: I thought I had these reasonably priced (super clean, orig bar 3800 craftsman for $100, nice running j-red 510 for $140, and a Husky 41 with low hrs, like new bar. new chain $180 ) came down to 100, 100, 150...and they came down to $110. WOW.. thanks! what a deal!

Either way, these were bought in saw 'lots', and with JUST this sale, I've almost broken even on the entire lots; although, I did have to do carb/fuel system work, bar/chain, small odds/ends. All-in-all, I got to keep the 9 others (or offer some here for trade fodder/ parts/money, etc..... and got the two 350's...with the removable t-fers, so that should be fun!

For what it's worth, He promised future biz, as he just loves saws...doesn't know anything about them (he asked about each saw, cc size, etc, doesn't know what a j-red is, or some of the bigger husky's...) He rarely runs them, but has others on the crew that does...he mostly does bidding & mowing lawns....

so he says...

So, i then loaded the saws on the PS of the truck, in their plane sight...cause they are going 'back to the shop'

so, even though I was beaten down, it's nice to have some cash flow for the swapmeet on Sunday :clap: maybe we'll find something cool!!

Thanks guys.

J

Honestly, I don't think I'd even waste my time meeting him! He doesn't sound like the type that is going to be bringing you any long term business, doesn't sound like he's willing, or able, to carry out any repair service with you in the future, and doesn't sound like he would if he even could!
I don't think he's got a pot to piss in, nor is he very smart if he thinks a Crapsman saw is worth owning!
I'd tell him to go buy the new Crapsman, not interested in what he has to sell and when he's serious about buying something that will last more than a week, and is serviceable, to give me a call. Otherwise, I think it's a waste of your time to even mess with him, much less have to worry about getting robbed. He doesn't even sound like a "tire kicker", sounds like he's out to fleece everyone he deals with.
Move on and find a better customer.

Your comments are pretty much what I went through with him the last time I spoke with him prior to him leaving his town (25 miles away) to come here..

Guess what?! he's got a REAL crapsman now!!! lol!

jay you say he speaks another language ?
that may not be a good sign also him wanting to sell things for high prices throws a red flag

do some checking with to see if any people are missing stuff
The out of town is what throws up a red flag big time
also i forgot what state you in

Hi Calvin,

he wasn't FROM OUT OF TOWN....lol, he did live about 20 miles away, just into the other county.

I'm in MAss.

Living in a very small village in the middle of butt crack nowhere, everyone knows where I live and that I have a lot of saws.

I don't worry about stuff like this because I don't have to.............yet.

My shop, or my house, is very rarely locked anyway, keeps my buddies from breaking the door when they need a power tool.

Your guy, however, sounds a little off, I agree with not showing him any more than you absolutely have to.

I used to keep things unlocked too...untill a few moths ago when we've had some reports of some loony tunes running around.

There are a bunch of thieves running around these days, I would meet the guy with a few scare tactics at first, just to see if he wants a saw bad enough to get past you asking him if he can squeal like a pig. Seems to work for me.

'Scare tactics'?? like the show? squeal? am I supposed to bear-hug him? LOL!! or maybe my Vage-powered Pitbull that's made from Soy-tofu, and was raised by lesbo-greeny-tree hugger liberals that use have-a-heart traps for MICE?!?! LOL

I am not sure if I understand all that went on, but I will take all the new looking Craftsman 3800's you can find for $100

make a long story short:

He came here, he has NO IDEA where the shop it, he beat me down on a few saws, I have cash (over and above my initial investment) plus one running 350, and one probably needing atleast a piston/ring.... and maybe future work...

With the Craftsman, now you make me feel like I've done and screwed myself...:censored:

I guess I'm not sure what their FMV is... :(

J

Last edited:
Well just remember, now you can't un-tell him where you live. If he breaks one of those saws, where do you think he's going to go? A few of my customers know where I live, but only after I have known them for a while.

make a long story short:

He came here, he has NO IDEA where the shop it,

He knows where you live.

BTW, Americans may be the worst negotiators on the planet. Everywhere else I've been it's simply undersood that all prices are open to negotiation. EVEN IN THE MALLS! :dizzy: It's simply a way of life.

As a result, everyone else is better at it than we are! :(

He knows where you live.

BTW, Americans may be the worst negotiators on the planet. Everywhere else I've been it's simply undersood that all prices are open to negotiation. EVEN IN THE MALLS! :dizzy: It's simply a way of life.

As a result, everyone else is better at it than we are! :(

Amen brother! I grew up in a salvage yard and learned some basic negotiation skills but, these foreigners are pros!

Thanks guys....

great support here, and quick replies as always..

he owns a landscaping biz, and talks about 'knowing people' 'long term biz' etc...

I don't mean to sound skeptical or otherwise, but when he's having a phone conversation with me, and speaking in another language to another person, makes me a little weary. The shop is fairly discreet on the propertly, and I won't be eluding to him that there's anything more here. If fact, I'm 'done for the day @ the shop down the street, and it was easier for him to meet me here...' :)

I've only had two people see the shop. one is a friend. the other is a tree company owner...as I was fixing something for him on the spot... Didn't have much choice.

J

that may not be a good sign
also him wanting to sell things for high prices throws a red flag

guys, I don't want to get my panties in a bunch or anything but those comments are offensive. You honestly think because someone speaks another language that makes them shady?!?! I'm the son of immagrants that did not teach me to speak english because they were afraid I'd pick up their accent. I didn't learn to speak english till I started kindergarten. I do not speak english with my parents unless we're in the presence of those that can't understand our language. Anyhow, I'm glad that it worked out but geez guys, easy on the xenophobia

Hey guys.

I use my 12x16 shed as my shop...I have a new guy, from out of town wanting to look @ a couple saws...

with all the theft happenings lately, i'm reluctant to let them in the shop, but what them to know i'm serious about what I do, and don't want to seem like i'm hiding something.

he does seem a bit flaky...:rolleyes:

IE: he thinks I should give him $100 ea for 2 H-350's that need work. one starts revs, but won't idle...the other he can't hold up by the pull start, and it will not start, unless he pulls it 12 times. (bad top end, i'm presuming....which sounds like the other will assume the same fate (air leak) if he keeps running it...

BUT... he then says:

'well, ya know, I don't wanna spend $150+ for a used saw around 40cc, when I can go to sears and, ya know, get a new Husky 137/142 for $200. with a warranty....' :rolleyes:

Sound like I should meet him in the driveway??

Jay

Or the corner store!

that may not be a good sign
also him wanting to sell things for high prices throws a red flag

the guy owns a landscaping company.
he was probably speaking spanish to his employees in the background.

like this guy is in the russian mafia or something.... stealing chainsaws from little shops.........:rolleyes:

guys, I don't want to get my panties in a bunch or anything but those comments are offensive. You honestly think because someone speaks another language that makes them shady?!?! I'm the son of immagrants that did not teach me to speak english because they were afraid I'd pick up their accent. I didn't learn to speak english till I started kindergarten. I do not speak english with my parents unless we're in the presence of those that can't understand our language. Anyhow, I'm glad that it worked out but geez guys, easy on the xenophobia

+1 A whole lot of us older guys had parents or grandparents who came here, learned English as a second language, worked incredibly hard and prospered. Many of them were truly "The Salt of the Earth".

Fatguy- YOU MISSED PART OF THE QUOTE !! PLEASE, don't be a victim here. I, in NO WAY judge people because they are foreign, or of foreign decent. I KNEW THAT long before the 4th phone call. Besides, EVERYONE's an immigrant (except for Native American- which I'm also a descendant of. My Grandfather was an immigrant as well!! to complete your quote, you have to add in the BEGINNING of the sentence: BUT WHEN HAVING A PHONE CONVERSATION WITH ME... and then commencing on your bolded/quoted portion...

he would break into another language without excusing himself...It makes me LEARY because I do NOT know what he's saying. It's easy to hide things that way...which is why spies use code-language.

With that being said;

I have a VERY GOOD friend from Venezuela, and he talks in what he calls "SPANGLISH" to his friends, etc. He's respectful when 'needing' to speak in native tongue to his mother, or friends back home, and asks to be 'excused'. If he's speaking in our presence, he will only use words that don't have a direct translation, if they can understand English well.

I just feel a bit slighted when HALF the conversation i'm having is being had again in a language I don't understand, and the INPUT coming from the Uncle (very broken english...) is part of the negotiation. (I can understand $$ and numbers :) )

Sorry for the offense, but it was not meant to be an injustice...more of an oversight that there was a LACK of respect to me.

Are you saying the ONLY time you speak in a native tongue is WHEN you and your parents are around NON-native language speaking people?? :confused:

Well just remember, now you can't un-tell him where you live. If he breaks one of those saws, where do you think he's going to go? A few of my customers know where I live, but only after I have known them for a while.

Tim, yeah, things would have been MUCH different, if the truck was working :angry: Granted, it's only words, but he himself said with this deal, he will NOT call with any issues, etc. but we know how that goes :rolleyes:

I am on my way to TSC to look at saws. This thread convinced me I don,t want to deal with a dis-honest small dealer.
ZG

What..........................

No, I'll just leave that alone.

Yeah, what the hell does that mean??!?!?!?!?!?

I'll go there for a sec, -Zero-

small dealers are where it's @, no MATTER what business!! they are PERSONABLE, HONEST, and take the BEST CARE of their customers. And the little guys mean JUST as much, if not more.

I won't charge one of my guys to change a sprocket (esp. on a stihl, or 372xp :D )I don't charge to diagnose, I try to save them $...

I take care of them, they take care of me. pretty simple.:cheers:

+1 A whole lot of us older guys had parents or grandparents who came here, learned English as a second language, worked incredibly hard and prospered. Many of them were truly "The Salt of the Earth".

My Great Grandpa knew 5 or 6 languages, and could write in 3...

I will agree, and say my work ethic must be Hereditary in nature now!! :D

I have HUGE amounts of respect for those that came here, LEARNED the language, and work hard...I think that's awesome...

the opposite on the other hand :(

J

visitor

Hi, i am new to this forum was looking where make a post,it says new/thread,but it is not on any page,maybe going blind in my old age,
Please let me know what i am doing wrong,thank's

Hi, i am new to this forum was looking where make a post,it says new/thread,but it is not on any page,maybe going blind in my old age,

WELCOME WOODHOGG!!!!

you've successfully made your 1st post!! :cheers:

welcome to the wealth of knowledge, and good peoples @ AS!! :D

spend the $20 and get a sign in your driveway that says "notice this property is monitored by CCTV"

THAT is a DAYUUM good idea....

seeing how it is :monkey:

like I said in the begining, I wasn't trying to get my panties in a bunch, I just felt that speaking in another language was not grounds for distrust.

I agree, it was just the lack of politeness...and it sometimes seems it can be a good way of 'speaking under your breath to another' without having to do so...other than that...it's NOT a race/creed issue (for me) whatsoever.

I love ya Nik!! :heart: :D

Jay

Welcome. If you want to start a new thread, go to the Chainsaws main page and on the left hand side under the header containing all the ads there is a tab that says New Thread. Just click on the tab and you are good to go.

I recently was at a friend of mines shop who sells mowers and such. It used to be a Snowmachine shop and he worked on it seemed like anything people brought to him.
So when I was looking for a coil for a saw I figured I"d stop and see what he had in inventory, but when I asked him about it he said he had just been ripped off. Somebody got in threw the back window and took all the saws, and saw parts, weedwackers, and his NOS sled parts. Now he said he couldn't prove it but he thought it might have been a recent customer that had been in looking around:cry:

Back