new wood for me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, the bark definately looks like Cottonwood. However, the pics of the split wood looks way to clean (not stringy enough) to be Cottonwood. That, and Cottonwood smells like cat piss, not like pine or medicine (none I have taken anyway)

Last edited:
definately looks like sassafrass. Good wood for getting things going but i wouldn't waste my time cutting load after load of it unless you have a market for it.

SASSAFRASS without a doubt. The excavating company that gives me some free logs from time to time had some mixed in with some locust and silver maple they dropped off for me. Splits easy and cuts nice also very light weight. I just mix it with some good oak or hickory and do not have any problems with it. Free is free right !:cheers:

Sassafrass.

I murder the stuff on sight. It's more of a pest than any insect.

The redish tinge on the cut bark gives it away like a rat turd in a sugar bowl.

The stuff burns fast and HOT. Small splits are great for getting things going.

Toss some chips into the Charcoal grill for Light/sweet smoke.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

+1 :agree2:

Sassafrass.

I murder the stuff on sight. It's more of a pest than any insect.

The redish tinge on the cut bark gives it away like a rat turd in a sugar bowl.

The stuff burns fast and HOT. Small splits are great for getting things going.

Toss some chips into the Charcoal grill for Light/sweet smoke.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Agree on the burning. The oils in the wood also make for some hot pops - I wouldn't burn in an open fireplace. It's a nice stable cabinet wood. You might check if anyone around there buys the roots - the root bark is used to make tea and root beer flavoring. 1/4 lb. here goes for around $10 but goes a long way. Nothing like a pot of hot sassafrass tea on a cold winter day. The leaves can also be dried and ground to make file (feelay) - as in file gumbo. It's a thickener and has a flavor like thyme. Haven't thought about cooking - will have to try that this summer.

Agree on the burning. The oils in the wood also make for some hot pops - I wouldn't burn in an open fireplace. It's a nice stable cabinet wood. You might check if anyone around there buys the roots - the root bark is used to make tea and root beer flavoring. 1/4 lb. here goes for around $10 but goes a long way. Nothing like a pot of hot sassafrass tea on a cold winter day. The leaves can also be dried and ground to make file (feelay) - as in file gumbo. It's a thickener and has a flavor like thyme. Haven't thought about cooking - will have to try that this summer.

buzz,

10 bucks a 1/4lb?:hmm3grin2orange:
That's a better price than I get for Blueberrys, and I spend thousands annually keeping the Sassafrass out of my field.

Ya gotta link or addy for a buyer?

I have at least a new 372XP's worth in one tree's roots, and many hundreds more like it.

Seriously... if you can move it, I'll gladly cut ya in!!

Right now I'm cutting it, spraying it, digging it up and burning it.

I may have just found my "Alternative crop"!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

buzz,

10 bucks a 1/4lb?:hmm3grin2orange:
That's a better price than I get for Blueberrys, and I spend thousands annually keeping the Sassafrass out of my field.

Ya gotta link or addy for a buyer?

I have at least a new 372XP's worth in one tree's roots, and many hundreds more like it.

Seriously... if you can move it, I'll gladly cut ya in!!

Right now I'm cutting it, spraying it, digging it up and burning it.

I may have just found my "Alternative crop"!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

This is from a coffee and tea shop in downtown Pitts, PA. I'll try to contact them to see if their source is interested. Of course, that price is retail. There's also a local guy who has a sign "buyer of roots" I'll try to contact him as well.

Just checked the coffee shop - I was wrong on the price. They call it "organic" and it goes for $23 for 1/4 pound. I PM'd you.

Last edited:
This is from a coffee and tea shop in downtown Pitts, PA. I'll try to contact them to see if their source is interested. Of course, that price is retail. There's also a local guy who has a sign "buyer of roots" I'll try to contact him as well.

Just checked the coffee shop - I was wrong on the price. They call it "organic" and it goes for $23 for 1/4 pound. I PM'd you.

LOL!!!!
$23.00 a 1/4lb !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Got your PM. THANKS!!!!

If ya want some "Starts" to grow your own, lemme know.

I just pulled up about 100 this afternoon.;)

I might just learn to not hate the stuff! LOL!!

Thanks again!
Dingeryote

Sassafrass... seems not to throw a great amount of smoke. We usually burn that at our fishing trip in October.... great for slightly breezy evenings as it doesn't smoke you out.

Latest posts

Back