New wood hauler !!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd give odds the five years old can't get daddy off the four wheeler. He might get to ride with him but daddy's the driver.

You dont have to have gas power to get into trouble. We were working at one of the places we farm, there is a house right across the road maybe 100 ft off the road. Had one of those electric gators for their boy. We hear they guys wife yell, that little kid was headed straight for the road. Even with a parent right there things can happen in an instant.

I'd give odds the five years old can't get daddy off the four wheeler. He might get to ride with him but daddy's the driver.
Not quite... it's a bit small for an adult, and the suspension is only rated for about 160-pounds loading (I weigh a touch over 2-bills). The only time I rode it was when I was tuning the carb... and that was only on the smooth road to reduce the stress on it.

You dont have to have gas power to get into trouble. ...one of those electric gators for their boy. We hear they guys wife yell, that little kid was headed straight for the road. Even with a parent right there things can happen in an instant.
You got that right... when he first got it, my little guy got too close to the edge of the ditch with his electric gator, rolled it in sideways before I could get to him, which resulted in a skinned knee and a bloody lip (could have been much worse). In a lot of ways this quad is the safer unit because of the remote kill... I can shut him down before he gets close to trouble.

At the same time, he "learned" from rolling that gator; he "learned" something that can only be "learned" from experience... better to have "learned" it driving a plastic, 20-pound, electric-powered toy than a steel, 200-pound, gasoline-powered toy! I know young adults that haven't "learned" that lesson yet... and when they finally do you can bet your last dollar it will be a lot worse than a fat lip! Contrary to beliefs of society over the last couple decades, certain "learned" experiences should be "learned" young. You can't (and shouldn't) protect your child from everything... you can only keep them alive until you can get them over-the-hump. If you protect them from everything as they grow-up, then they have to "learn" the "hard-way" as an adult... and that's usually the really hard way!

Quite opinionated for someone who's never met my son... let alone know anything about his mental or physical capabilities. You talk like I'm just gonna' hand him the keys and let him run wild...
You have no standing to call into question my parental "responsibility".
And by-the-way, "mom" helped me pick out the color... I never said she was against it, I said she's just a bit nervous.

Cripes, I was riding motorized two-wheelers before I was 5... I survived!

Ya' see Guido, I actually do let my son "progress to activities" he is "mentally and physically capable of handling". The difference between me and many other parents, I do that by not holding him back !!

Good Lord man, I'm 55, this is my third child... the other two are alive and well. One is getting married this year, the other is attending her first prom tonight. I ain't a rookie at this crap.

You have a long history of ignoring the advice of others here in the pursuit of machismo, it is unfortunate that you place your son's health and welfare in jeopardy in order to prove he is not being coddled. A 5 year old is a 5 year old, they have limited cognitive and motor skills and thinking otherwise is simply foolish and potentially dangerous. Your age and the number of children you have raised has no bearing on the topic, you should feel fortunate that others here are taking an interest in his welfare because it seems to be lacking on the home front.

What's on tap for his 6th birthday, a 9MM....?

Guido wanted to check since your the expert....12 yr old daughter is it ok that I'm teaching her to run a saw? 7yr old daughter got her a 22/410 combo for 7th birthday is that ok?

You have a long history of ignoring the advice of others here in the pursuit of machismo, it is unfortunate that you place your son's health and welfare in jeopardy in order to prove he is not being coddled. A 5 year old is a 5 year old, they have limited cognitive and motor skills and thinking otherwise is simply foolish and potentially dangerous. Your age and the number of children you have raised has no bearing on the topic, you should feel fortunate that others here are taking an interest in his welfare because it seems to be lacking on the home front.

So ur saying that my dad givin me a gun on my sixth birthday was a bad idea and that it was bad parenting. Damn i really wish he woulda just kept me sheltered from the world. And anything that I coulda hurt myself on or with. :msp_tongue:

That reminds me! I bought my UNBORN daughter a pink Cricket .22. Now I just can't wait to find out from guido when she and I can start shooting it together!

Here we go again!! Another post that has gone way off the topic... Oh! Wait!! My Bad!! Maybe it does belong here, seems like a few members got a little heated up. :dizzy:

To Quote the words from our Mothers: "Play Nice!!!!" :bang:

Tell that to the parents of 10s of thousands, if not 100s of thousands of children under the age of 6 that ride gas powered atvs or dirbikes... Every time i go to the local trail system, i always see 10-20 kids easily under the age of 8 putting around on small atvs and dirtbikes. You dont understand. Those small bikes are MEANT for kids. Now if spidey was giving his kid a Cam Am 1000cc quad, then you can claim what youre claiming. But he has remote kill, a limited throttle, and hopefully proper protective equipment, and as long as he sets the rules of being in eyes site when riding, there should be no issue.

Some just can not help but decide what they think is right is the only line of thought that is right. Never fails. Pick any subject!

But sure makes for fun reading!!:msp_smile:

Ted

Better ban Tri-cycles, push scooters, roller skates to name a few.

I remember many years ago when I got into motocross, I was at a race when about 45 bikes lines up bar to bar. I had a daddy push a bike up besides me for his boy. At the time I was racing the 250 class. The boy couldn't touch the ground. Dad had to hold it up. I ask daddy if he wasn't a little concerned for his "little" boy. He said naw, I think he'll be OK. I don't know if the youngster was OK after we started or not. After the race started I never saw him again. As far as I know he may have lapped me. Was that little boy fast.

Still, we have teenagers around her every year killed on those four wheelers. But they don't know protective gear is. Non of them even wear a helmet.

You have a long history of ignoring the advice of others here in the pursuit of machismo, it is unfortunate that you place your son's health and welfare in jeopardy in order to prove he is not being coddled...

The only history I have (and it ain't long) is the one you (and a handful of others here) have produce in your own minds... and I sure-in-hell don't need, or want, your brand of advice when it comes to raising my son! My boy has the same mind-set I do... there ain't anything I can't do, or accomplish, if I set my mind to it. He ain't your typical "mamma's boy" city kid sitting in front of a video game; he's independent, self-reliant, alert, inquisitive, strong and happiest when he's outside (in any weather)... I believe I'll continue to cultivate all of those qualities.
And by-the-way, I ain't a big fan of the 9mm, don't even have one in the stable... but the boy was shooting a small-frame .38 last summer. I picked up a light, plastic-stocked "Boys Rifle" in .22 Rim-Fire over the winter that should be just about perfect for him this year.

Keep him safe spidey and you'll have a well rounded man when he's grown.

But still this reminds me of an episode that happened with my mother when I was about 4. A neighbor was playing in a big oak, like a lot of the oaks we had in Mobile. This tree had a lot of dead limbs in it and mama told the young boy he shouldn't be climbing in the tree. He might grab a dead limb and he could fall. Like the "you can't hurt me" attitude younguns have, he piped back at my mom, "if a limb break I'll just fly to another one". Mama said Ok son, and turned to come back to the house. Just then she heard a, crack, and a thud. The boy was rolling around on the ground crying, screaming and holding his arm. Mama walk over to him, bent over and said, "son, did you break your wing"? Turned and got his mother. He learned the hard way. But would he have learned any other way?

... and this advice from the internet?

My daughter, Princess Kickbutt, won the Ladies Division of the Eastern Surfing Association Grand Championships, from the womb.

My wife actually won, four months pregnant. For the second year in a row.

We were surfing 30 contests a year back then, usually loaded up on Friday and coming home on Sunday with trophies. Her and I, a 15 year old, PKB's other brother at 3.

Our kids all had to sink or swim.

We live on the most consistent break on the East Coast, Rideable 300 days a year.

PKB was (still is) a ball buster, About two y/o she just had to be out with me in the lineup. The others would take off as soon we hit the beach, and I would have Nat. She'd get cold quick at less than 30 lbs. and Momma would have had an hour in already and we'd switch. About the only snuggles you got, was if she was blue.

She'd absolutely pitch a fit if I tried to tell her it was too big, too gnarly, too cold, or too whatever.... to take her out.

I had half the people in the lineup giving her the thumbs up, and being a bit jealous their kids were still on the beach, the other half threatening to call Dept Child Protective Services on us.

"I wish I could make my kid come out with me" You can't make them.

"You're an idiot, your kid is going to drown." Usually someone else would reply for us. You don't know Nat, she's fine. Just surf, Kook.

I had her out in big, well over head- surf at 4, riding me like a cape. I didn't have a choice. If I could paddle us out, we surfed. If we took too many beatings on the paddle out, she'd tell me.

I could take off on any wave I wanted, do any manouvers that came to me, and once past critical or closed-out, I could take her off my back and let her just stand on the front.

If I fell off, I 'd make sure she was clear, but pull the board back and she'd be surfaced not far away, and retrieve her. No floatation, just treading and swimming, ducking the next few waves. She'd get rinse cycled all the time, being a shrimp. but she never really was scared.

I have to try and dig out the pic out of a hard drive.

Once again, I am going to claim localized conditions and circumstances, are going to make a generic decision, just fine for one but dire for another.

That's an awesome toy, I got my kid a dirt bike when he was 4 and the first thing I did was to remove the restricter plate from the exhaust and take out the throttle screw and let him run it wide open, and all it did was build confidence. He has since out grown it and prefers sports, but has been running the log splitter with me. Kids are not as dumb as we think they are, they are sponges and absorb everything you show them. The best thing you can do for a kid is to put him or her out there and trust them, too many parents not letting kids be kids.

The 50 and 90 kymcos have a spacer in the clutch...with it out the 90 will pull me to 40mph. Daughter still has never went over 20.

Safety issues aside, I'm surprised no one has brought up the fact that this is a Chinese made piece of crap atv. If I were going to put my kids or myself on an atv it would be a quality brand and preferably made in North America. I'm thinking Polaris,Bombardier , Honda etc.

Back