New wood splitter, D.O.A.: Typical reseller/manufacture response?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow... I expected maybe a reply or two - but nothing like this... you're all so kind to take time in responding! Obviously, while I love it more than anything (besides my spousal unit), I'm not completely familiar with this mountain life... I'm 100% sure some of the locals see me doing things around the property that seem bizarre. LOL (We have learned how to quickly install and remove tire chains, and just upgraded fence charger to 'bear strength' after a few unfortunate chicken and small pet losses, neighbors suspect bobcat or coyote.) Thank you for all the great advice, exactly what I needed. I'll post when issue has been resolved - with a link to blog post, if that's allowed here... or if not, will just update you.
Some pretty passionate people here about chainsaws,firewood and anything related to that. Good luck with the splitter. Don't think there would be a problem with a link to you blog.

My vote is for the replacement cylinder as well.

...and don't flame them too badly in your blog. These are mechanical things that are only as perfect as the people who design and assemble them. Cr@p like this happens. If they do their best to remedy the problem, and at the end of the day make everything right, they deserve good press for doing so - good press equal to the amount of bad press that you would leave if they totally screwed the pooch.

Over the years I have bought 10's of thousands of dollars of parts,equipment out of a catalog before the internet and later on line and have only had to put one item in contest with the credit card company. It was a company I hadn't dealt with before. Was a rear bumper for a 2005 F-350 dually. I even called the company before ordering the bumper to make sure it would fit a dually and not a single wheel F-350. I wasn't home when the freight company left the bumper it was damaged and it was for a single wheel F-350. Was getting no where with the company to get it pickup so I called the credit card company put it in contest. Credit card deal with the company and they set out a pickup tag and I got my credit for the bumper.

Wow... I expected maybe a reply or two - but nothing like this... you're all so kind to take time in responding! Obviously, while I love it more than anything (besides my spousal unit), I'm not completely familiar with this mountain life... I'm 100% sure some of the locals see me doing things around the property that seem bizarre. LOL (We have learned how to quickly install and remove tire chains, and just upgraded fence charger to 'bear strength' after a few unfortunate chicken and small pet losses, neighbors suspect bobcat or coyote.) Thank you for all the great advice, exactly what I needed. I'll post when issue has been resolved - with a link to blog post, if that's allowed here... or if not, will just update you.
Welcome to the forum "User".
I agree with just getting the replacement cylinder. Another option to consider with the old one is just putting it on craigslist.
Part of homesteading/living in the country is that many times we do not have the time or means to have someone else do the repairs for us so as others have said you can now learn a bit by working on it. Someone on here has in their signature something like "experience is what you get when things don't go as planned", well I've gotten a lot of experience through the yrs myself:cheers:.
If you have any problems or questions on the install of the cylinder feel free to reply to this thread or start another one and put a link in this one. Most the guys here would be more than happy to help out.
Brett

Swap the cylinder be good experience for the new "homesteader". Two pins, two hydraulic lines...just swapped on my splitter b/c I bent the shaft, I think it took 10 minutes and a full beer to replace. Now welding up where the splitter broke in half causing the cylinder shaft to bend took quite a bit longer, and couple additional pops.

If you do replace the cylinder, stand the beam up vertical with the wedge fully retracted (engine stopped) and loosen the highest hydraulic line fitting while holding the control valve lever in the “down”(extend) position. This will allow the cylinder to extend via gravity while sucking air into the upper cylinder and pushing the oil out of the lower portion. By doing this you will push practically all of your hydraulic oil back into the oil tank and save yourself from creating a big oily mess!

Guess what? I got my new cylinder and was going to install it tomorrow... and was returning to the forum to ask how. But wouldn't I know it? Holy Toledo, you've already answered the only question I had - how to get the oil out!
If you do replace the cylinder, stand the beam up vertical with the wedge fully retracted (engine stopped) and loosen the highest hydraulic line fitting while holding the control valve lever in the “down”(extend) position. This will allow the cylinder to extend via gravity while sucking air into the upper cylinder and pushing the oil out of the lower portion. By doing this you will push practically all of your hydraulic oil back into the oil tank and save yourself from creating a big oily mess!

Errr... spoke too soon. I've been out of town and just returned a few days ago, was looking forward to installing this replacement Hydraulic Cylinder and getting to splitting some wood. While I was gone, the replacement hydraulic cylinder arrived. Attached is picture, as I 'unboxed'/it basically fell out of the box, appears to be a beat up, used cylinder. Scratched up, smudged with grease marks around the labels, junk around the connections, obvious wear. Is this to be expected, too, with products of this sort? Maybe I'm jumping the gun, nearly 7 weeks after ordering this lemon, but seems to me this is a bum deal, maybe more than just horrible reviews and blog post for this company is in order... our local small claims court loves these cases... replacement-IMG_7964.JPG

I guess you don't receive a lot of shipped parts. It appears to be new but things pickup a lot of wear in shipment. You should have been at my house last week when a $1,600 dollar gear box showed up in no box or crate just some plastic wrap and a shipping label left. Not a lot of nice paint left on it. Needed to get the equipment going so I installed it shot a little paint on it and away we went. Heavy items in cardboard boxes don't fair well with shipping company's.

I'd be pissed too if they sent me that rebuilt crap. it had to come from china to be in a cheap wrapper like that. Some things just need to be purchased locally instead off the web. Without giving the name, was this a name brand splitter or a Ho Chi Minh model?

How do you know it is rebuilt? And/or crap?

Latest posts

Back