Newbie looking for advice on replacing my aging Pioneer saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cak446

Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

What a great site! I've spent hours over the past few days searching these forums, and I'm hooked and already suffering from the first stages of CAD.

I currently own a Pioneer 1074 and a 1200a They’ve been in the family since new, and have been great reliable saws. Some specs on the saws can be found here: http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/6cb8b65e3260962688256b00001a7609?OpenDocument
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/4053f2dbb54adf3b88256b0000126c99?OpenDocument
The above links have the cc’s & weights of the 1074 and 1200A as 51.4cc, 9.6lbs and 58cc, 13.5lbs respectively. Does anyone have any idea what kind of power my saws make?

The saws are used on our family’s well treed ranch that borders a provincial park. I currently live and work 3.5 hours away, but try to spend as much time out there as possible. Right now I find myself mainly using the 1074 for chores around the land such as, trimming trees, removing fallen trees across fences and trails, and any other tasks that come up. I use the 1200a for the more serious work of taking down and cutting up trees for firewood. I’m currently only burning a couple cords a year, but I hope to be spending more time out there as the years go by, so I will be putting up more wood accordingly. I’ll be mostly cutting poplar and birch up to 18” in diameter.

The 1074 still starts every time I want to use it, but it’s getting tired. The 1200a still runs strong, but it wouldn’t start the last time I went to use it. Although I’m sure it’s just a minor fix, I don’t really have the time in this stage of my life to be working on chainsaws. I’ve decided it’s time for a new saw, so that I can spend less time cutting wood, and more time, hunting, snowmobiling, fishing, etc.

I’m looking to buy a saw that is about the same weight as the 1074, but has the power of my 1200a. I’ll eventually buy a bigger saw, but for now I’m hoping to find one saw that will do the work of my two Pioneers.

One of the first saws I looked at was the Stihl MS260, it seemed like the perfect saw for me, but then I found this site, and the Husky 346xp seemed to be the must have saw. None of the Husqvarna dealers I checked out had the 346xp in stock. They can bring them in, but the trouble is that up here in Canada the 346xp costs the same as a Stihl 361 which is in a whole other class of saw, and very tempting….

Ok, I know this post is getting long but to summarize my questions:

1. Does anyone have the power specs for my pioneer saws.
2. Would a ms260 cut as good as my old 1200a?
3. Is the 346xp really that good of a saw that I should pay the premium price for it? Or should I just go for the 361
4. Any other advice?

Thanks,

Carl

Last edited:
Get a Stihl or Husky Pro saw. Whichever dealer is better for you to deal with is the one to buy from.

The 346 IS that good. Period.

The 361 IS that good. Period.

Both will do everything your old classy pioneer saws would do, and more, and without beating you up in the process.

You have no idea how bad you were getting beaten up...trust me.;)

Between the two the 361 wins on overal range of utility, but will cost you a bit on the weight, but you are used to that and are not spoiled yet.

The 346 is NOT a one saw plan, saw if you are cutting lots of 30" and up trees, but will do nicely now and then when needed.

Good luck to ya!
It's like deciding between Ginger and mary Ann.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Hello, everyone.

What a great site! I've spent hours over the past few days searching these forums, and I'm hooked and already suffering from the first stages of CAD.

I currently own a Pioneer 1074 and a 1200a They’ve been in the family since new, and have been great reliable saws. Some specs on the saws can be found here: http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...6cb8b65e3260962688256b00001a7609?OpenDocument
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...4053f2dbb54adf3b88256b0000126c99?OpenDocument
The above links have the cc’s & weights of the 1074 and 1200A as 51.4cc, 9.6lbs and 58cc, 13.5lbs respectively. Does anyone have any idea what kind of power my saws make?

The saws are used on our family’s well treed ranch that borders a provincial park. I currently live and work 3.5 hours away, but try to spend as much time out there as possible. Right now I find myself mainly using the 1074 for chores around the land such as, trimming trees, removing fallen trees across fences and trails, and any other tasks that come up. I use the 1200a for the more serious work of taking down and cutting up trees for firewood. I’m currently only burning a couple cords a year, but I hope to be spending more time out there as the years go by, so I will be putting up more wood accordingly. I’ll be mostly cutting poplar and birch up to 18” in diameter.

The 1074 still starts every time I want to use it, but it’s getting tired. The 1200a still runs strong, but it wouldn’t start the last time I went to use it. Although I’m sure it’s just a minor fix, I don’t really have the time in this stage of my life to be working on chainsaws. I’ve decided it’s time for a new saw, so that I can spend less time cutting wood, and more time, hunting, snowmobiling, fishing, etc.

I’m looking to buy a saw that is about the same weight as the 1074, but has the power of my 1200a. I’ll eventually buy a bigger saw, but for now I’m hoping to find one saw that will do the work of my two Pioneers.

One of the first saws I looked at was the Stihl MS260, it seemed like the perfect saw for me, but then I found this site, and the Husky 346xp seemed to be the must have saw. None of the Husqvarna dealers I checked out had the 346xp in stock. They can bring them in, but the trouble is that up here in Canada the 346xp costs the same as a Stihl 361 which is in a whole other class of saw, and very tempting….

Ok, I know this post is getting long but to summarize my questions:

1. Does anyone have the power specs for my pioneer saws.
2. Would a ms260 cut as good as my old 1200a?
3. Is the 346xp really that good of a saw that I should pay the premium price for it? Or should I just go for the 361
4. Any other advice?

Thanks,

Carl
Possibly check out Echo. 490 is basically comparable to a 1074. 590 and 620 are a bit larger. A bit cheaper than Stihl but also comes with a 5 yr homeowners warranty. I use a 490, only adjustment was lowering the idle after breaking in.

Latest posts

Back