Newbie - milling chainsaw recommendations needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneStaple

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm new to chainsaw milling, but am quite interested in learning since I have gotten into woodworking in the past year and have access to a fair amount of quality trees/logs at my grandfather's house that I could use.

I have been trying to research the various Stihl and Husqvarna chainsaws, but am a little overwhelmed by the quantity of information and models, so I would appreciate any recommendations. I don't know the exact sizes of the trees I'd like to mill (especially since it'll be an ongoing hobby), but they won't be massive. I'm guessing that a 24"-30" bar would be plenty. I'm guessing that I'd be looking at something around 70cc?

I don't mind working with some of the older model chainsaws, as I'm fairly handy at working on small engines, and I'm not eager to spend a fortune especially as I'm just getting into this.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Tyler

I have had good results milling over a long period with a Stihl 076, a very durable engine. They show up at ebay from time to time. Perhaps more power than you need though....?

Try searching in the Milling Forum. Those guys have had some great saw discussions...

When I looked into it, I was looking at a Stihl 660 with a 36" bar on an Alaskan mill. Check with Woodshop. He can probably answer all your questions.

Back