newbie question??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newguy777

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So how does it work? Example a big ice storm hits and trees fall on a ladies house. Who pays for the trees to be removed?? Insurance company? How do you get paid thru them and how long is the typical wait? Or do you get paid by the home owner who gets reimbursed? Dumb question I know, but curious. Thanks

Always, they pay you when the job is finished, the insurance company then reimburses them.

Not a dumb question. If you agreed to wait and be reimbursed by the insurance company, either as a cortesy to the homeowner, or you just don't know ay better, you will wait maybe days, more likely weeks and quite possibly months. In small business, this is an interruption in cash flow, you assume risk and pay your guys and your overhead and then get nothing at the end of the day..... no. Be clear with your clients how the payment is to work before the job commences.

I have been doing allot of storm damage lately and what I have run into in most cases is there is a set amount depending on the coverage the home owner has for debris removal. In most of the bad cases the insurance guy will not even do his inicial inspection until the limbs and debris are off the structure. I am guessing here but I think it is to cover the accidents that may happen during removing the debris. I always get paid by the home owner and then the insurance company cuts them a check to cover my work and the roofer, painter, gutter guy and all else involved. Not all of the jobs were bad enough to get coverage though. There almost always had to be structural damage. If it was just debris on roof and no damage then the cost wasn't over the premium. Most of my clients are middle class also. So the insurance company isn't covering trimming up the storm damage. it will only cover picking up what has fallen completally out. Or appeasrs to be extremally hazzardous. I have on occasion for elderly and those on a fixed income waited to get my check until after the insurance gives them a check but it is never over a week long proccess.

Latest posts

Back