Newbie saw plan (have a Husky 65)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenheadwoody

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is my first post. I have been reading for a week or so on this forum. I have searched alot and learned a lot. My dad used to sell oak firewood back in the day. It was all split by hand. Well he is gone now and I enjoy keeping up the tradition on a small basis. I plan to cut firewood for the deer lease and to sell some to local feed stores and on craigslist. Probably 5-10 cords a year. Very small to most of yall's standards. The would be just to make extra money.
Now to the saws: I have a Husky 65 made in Sweden that I just got up and running. It hasn't been used in about 5 years but cutting firewood isn't something new to me. I just borrowed other peoples saws or helped them with using theirs for the past 5 years.
The 65 has a 16 inch bar and really screams but I think ya'll may recommend a bigger bar to be able to cut bigger stuff. A 20 inch bar would take care of anything I am planning to deal with. I live in central Texas and plan to cut mostly oak with a few pines mixed in.

So here is my question. I want a new saw(maybe two) that I can depend on when I get in the woods to cut . What would you guys recommend for a 2-3 saw set up and should I change the bar out on my Husky 65 or just use it to as is. It's heavy. I know my choices kinda jump all over the place but I have been considering a 346,357, ms361 or maybe a 372/or 359 with non epa muffler. I am really only considering Pro saws and could careless about weight. I grew up only cutting with a Husky 65. I would rather have more power and a better saw than I really need. The right tool for the job just makes life easier. I was thinking about the Ryobi for a small limbing saw that was recommended on this site.

I am partial to the Husky's but I could deal with a Stihl if I had to. My dad always went with Ford when everyone bought Chevy's so I am the same way. Most people around here that are using poulan junk or using Stihl. The
only dealers are Stihl but one has a selection of Husky's like Lowes (455,450,460 etc.) but he could order what I want or I could use ebay. I could care less about dealer support. I will work on my own stuff.

What do you recommend? :newbie:

A Husky 450 or even better 350 (if you can find one, they are still some NOS around).
And a Husky 372xp

Good luck and welcome to AS.

A Husky 450 or even better 350 (if you can find one, they are still some NOS around).
And a Husky 372xp

Good luck and welcome to AS.

He said pro saws only.

346xp and 372xp!

I have the two saw plan for bigger wood:
346xp and 394xp

Yeah really just want a pro saw but I want to keep using the Husky 65. Would maybe putting a longer bar on the 65 and getting a 346 work for most? Do ya'll have any idea of what the horse power would be on the old Husky 65? Has HP increased with modern technology or would an old 65cc saw have pretty close to the same HP as a new 65cc saw. What does the Husky 65 saw compare to today? (357xp/361 or a smaller saw) The 65 seems to scream and cut alot faster when you compare it to the homeowner type saws. But I am talking firewood stuff (for speed) not timed racing like some of yall do for competition.

I know it's bad but I enjoy having a bigger/badder saw then my buddies and making their saw look like a toy. I like a saw to really fling chips of wood which it appears most of you guys feel the same way. :rock:

Back