Newbie wants Splitter build opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the pictures. It is good to see what others have built and see some alternatives.

Oliver: I know that a trailer needs some tongue weight for stability. Around 7 - 10% of gross weight is usually the target. I just don't want to end up with 500 lbs of tongue weight and no way to change it. At the same time, I don't want the wheels in my way.

Bacardi: I am not sure what you mean by an "H" beam. Your pictures show a beam similar to the one I have, but I would call it an I beam. I hadn't considered using a trailer frame. I will have to think about that. I do like the idea of having springs, but I was thinking of using the oil tank tube axle idea.

Thanks
Jerry

Just wanting to clear up a common misconception I have seen many times in the forum. When talking about steel beams, there are 2 different types. The most common is what is called. "W" beam. The "w" stands for wide as the legs or flange of the beam are long and consistently the same thickness. The second type of beam is called a "S" beam which has a short tapered leg or flange. Hope this helps!

hu2y5yhy.jpg

A "W"- wide flanged beam is what most home built splitters use. Having a standard thickness on the flange makes building the the slide easier than having to accommodate a tapered flange.

Hello,
I have acquired some of the parts to start a splitter build and need to make a few decisions before I start cutting metal.

Now here is the most simple splitter you can build. It doesn't have any hydraulics or complicated racking mechanisms. It seems a good number of folks have built these and posted them on you tube for our enjoyment. (evil grin)

Thanks for posting that, now I'll have nightmares for the next week. Who the heck thought those up? I have seen one on the net that actually works but they ain't for this cat!

I have seen video of those kinetic splitters before. No way I would ever go near one. I would do it with an axe and maul instead of that.

Jerry

Here is something I put together to read for thought & discussion.

Attachments

• Choosing, Designing, & Building a Hydraulic Log Splitter - Revised 2-4-14.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back