Newbie wedge question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the ticket ma'am, can I have my drivers licence back please?:blob2: :biggrinbounce2: Dale Earnhart is a race car driver, TH ain't no faller..:hmm3grin2orange:

OK....Now that was funny..:hmm3grin2orange: .It'll piss her off even worse because she ain't no traffic cop...Hopefully I'll get to see her face when she reads it.....BUT...She chimmed in on her own,I can handle myself.....I will say this and stop it right here..I actually got in this business because I spent the first years of my life falling trees for a logging outfit...Altogether 30 years in the business if you go all the way back..I will agree to disagree here...My way has worked and paid the bills for the last fifteen years or so...I will leave this thread at that.

i perfer to use a 10" long plastic wedge with a 1 1/4" thickness. the 1/4 inch makes up the differance in the kerf from the saw so i still have 1 inch worth of lift from the wedge. now times that against a 100 foot tree. how much will the wedge move the top of that tree? ut-oh. i think i just touch on how to determine how tall a tree is. that is called tanget. why would that and tree back lean be important while felling trees. once you learn how tall a tree is and how it leans you can hit a broom handle driven in the ground each and every time with the top of a tree. marty

When I have a "heavy leaner" (okay, hung up tree) I grab the 931C deleaner tool. Recently I couldn't get to a "heavy leaner" so I chained the hung tree to a downed tree an pulled down the hung. Worked out pretty well. Nice not to have too many "heavy leaners" though.

TH having a women that will stand up for you is a good thing.
This line was started to learn about wedges, there is and always will be a place for pulling trees.
Even now I can not stand in front of a certain group of men and say that "I am a good faller" They will smile and say that "he is capable faller"
The places I fall it would be extremely difficult and extremely slow (expensive) to carry a pull line and tractor or rope along, a big shot and or my climbing gear. Just carrying it would be prohibitive much less using it. I might fall hundreds or even thousands of trees with wedges without a mishap. That requires working around the ones that are beyond my ability with wedges. In my line a tree can never fall out of control and be considered ok, every one is fell to a desired direction. A few may not, but this is not considered acceptable.
As property value risk goes up so does the time that is acceptable to remove small percentages of risk. The human life and limb factor never changes.
I just submitted a bid on a crane tree for $8,600. This same tree in the woods on some contracts would only pay me twelve dollars to fell. See the difference?

Urbicide, The aluminum wedges are tougher but much heavier and much more expensive.I don't know if they will last long enough to justify this for you. They are also less forgiving if driven into your bar and chain. To me their biggest advantage is they don't absorb as much energy so they lift a little better and they are easier to drive into a closed kerf.
An old single bit ax head from the flea market makes a severe duty wedge but is brutal on chain and bars and the driving surface of you ax.
From here on I will only comment in wedges in the forestry and logging forum.
The monitors have already told us to move there.

Well................ This has gotten good and ugly!!!!

TH: I used to fell everything that was questionable with a bull rope as well, and they have their place, that is a fact!! But with wedges you have better control, unless I screw up ( I have, and they still saved my butt!!!). I have bull roped leaning cottonwoods that would scare most, but with what I have learned now, I could swing it, much safer, with wedges and land the same trees without having to worry about sling shotting a truck!!
I believe, at least, what is getting you the most criticism, is you're unwillingness to listen to other options.

Well................ This has gotten good and ugly!!!!

TH: I used to fell everything that was questionable with a bull rope as well, and they have their place, that is a fact!! But with wedges you have better control, unless I screw up ( I have, and they still saved my butt!!!). I have bull roped leaning cottonwoods that would scare most, but with what I have learned now, I could swing it, much safer, with wedges and land the same trees without having to worry about sling shotting a truck!!
I believe, at least, what is getting you the most criticism, is you're unwillingness to listen to other options.
No offense meant here...But over the years I have used just about every thing available
Joesawer:..I never discredited the use of wedges,and said several times that on occasion that I do use both.I have a poplar tree to cut sometime in the near future that is five feet in diameter and well over 100 feet tall.I am scared to work in this tree because the top is dead,and we can't get a crane in there.So I will have to fall it between two houses,with about five feet to spare on either side..I will not only rope it,but will wedge it as well....I never said I was against using wedges or any other method...I simply listed what I use the most...And again,the guy asked about wedges and is new to falling,so mentioned what I did to give him another safe option.

No offense meant here...But over the years I have used just about every thing available
Joesawer:..I never discredited the use of wedges,and said several times that on occasion that I do use both.I have a poplar tree to cut sometime in the near future that is five feet in diameter and well over 100 feet tall.I am scared to work in this tree because the top is dead,and we can't get a crane in there.So I will have to fall it between two houses,with about five feet to spare on either side..I will not only rope it,but will wedge it as well....I never said I was against using wedges or any other method...I simply listed what I use the most...And again,the guy asked about wedges and is new to falling,so mentioned what I did to give him another safe option.

No offense taken, I'm easy:hmm3grin2orange:
That Poplar sounds lie a climb job to me, but thats a whole other story:hmm3grin2orange:
I wasn't picking on you, just trying to interviene a bit.

No offense taken, I'm easy:hmm3grin2orange:
That Poplar sounds lie a climb job to me, but thats a whole other story:hmm3grin2orange:
I wasn't picking on you, just trying to interviene a bit.

There must be a story I don't know behind that...I promise,ya' don't wanna climb it...It's OK for about 70 feet,then it gets ugly

Thank you for the ticket ma'am, can I have my drivers licence back please?

Nope...You've got about two seconds to turn around and put your hands behind your back before I hit you with the tazer....I'll be keeping your license for a while...Gonna impound your vehicle as well.:angry:

wedges

timberhauler, with over 1000 post since jan 2007 4 months when do you find time to actually fall timber oh i mean those pecker poles you call timber

timberhauler, with over 1000 post since jan 2007 4 months when do you find time to actually fall timber oh i mean those pecker poles you call timber

There was a disagreement here between several of us that did not involve you...It looks as if all you are trying to do is re-kindle a fire that has already gone out...If that is your intention,then I suggest you go do it someplace else....Most all of us here butt heads at times,but BS and joke about it when it's said and done...I have no use or do not even desire to have conversation with someone intentionally looking to start another fight......There are many others than have been here less time than I have with more posts..

Last edited:
HEY WOODY HAVE YOU PICKED UP WHAT YOU INTENDED TO GET FROM THIS THREAD????

Haven't seen very much of you since you started this thread.

OK, some "enlightnment" has been gleaned upon me, we are discussing two types of falling here. Timber is talking about semi hazardous residential trees, and "WE are talking woods dropping. I for one, hardly even cary my wedges into the woods (I'm getting better, I promise) but the only thing that will get hurt is me, and usually it's small (less that 14" oak) I am cutting in the woods. NOW, on removals, I take my gear, ALL OF IT!!!! You never know what you will come across!!! (Or what I mya screw up:laugh: )
So, thinking along those lines, maybe we can clear somethings up?:D

OK, some "enlightnment" has been gleaned upon me, we are discussing two types of falling here. Timber is talking about semi hazardous residential trees, and "WE are talking woods dropping. I for one, hardly even cary my wedges into the woods (I'm getting better, I promise) but the only thing that will get hurt is me, and usually it's small (less that 14" oak) I am cutting in the woods. NOW, on removals, I take my gear, ALL OF IT!!!! You never know what you will come across!!! (Or what I mya screw up:laugh: )
So, thinking along those lines, maybe we can clear somethings up?:D

OK,Now I'm confused.....I never take all of my gear...Just half of it.:monkey:

OK, some "enlightnment" has been gleaned upon me, we are discussing two types of falling here. Timber is talking about semi hazardous residential trees, and "WE are talking woods dropping. :D

First of all, don't be saying "WE". I fall trees and butt logs around and beside houses all the time, without ropes. These are semi-hazardous trees, the nasty ones I rope. Pay attention to whats been said here.

Back