Next years wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdad07

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just got my new load of logs today. Will post pics as soon as I figue out how to. Tractor trailor load, close to 40 face cord for a $1000. Oak, maple, ironwood, black cherry and smooth bark hickory. It cost me $700 last year for a dumptruck load that I only got 16 face cord out of.

Ironwood is a type of maple that is exactly like it sounds. The wood throws sparks when you are cutting, it takes a long time to dry and is hard to split even with a splitter.

generally 100 per cord of hardwood is considered a good deal in log length

generally 100 per cord of hardwood is considered a good deal in log length

:agree2:

$100 delivered is the going rate for oak in these parts. I have seen some mixed for $80, but poplar is part of the mix. I did find a land clearing / mulc making outfit in the area this year selling oak logs in five cord loads for $100 a cord delivered, which is rare as most places won't deliver less than ten at once.

Ironwood is a type of maple that is exactly like it sounds. The wood throws sparks when you are cutting, it takes a long time to dry and is hard to split even with a splitter.

Iron wood is another name for the Hophornbeam. It is hard, I liken it to a Dogwood in weight and hardness. I've never had sparks fly from it, but I have friends that say they have. But, that's always after I yelled at them for sticking one of my saws in the dirt, Joe.

Just got my new load of logs today. Will post pics as soon as I figue out how to. Tractor trailor load, close to 40 face cord for a $1000. Oak, maple, ironwood, black cherry and smooth bark hickory. It cost me $700 last year for a dumptruck load that I only got 16 face cord out of.

I bought a tractor trailer load of logs one time 30 years ago. It was $450, mostly Oak, had 2 gum logs mixed in. I split and stacked it during the summer and didn't use a stick of it till it was all stacked. I got right at 7 measured cords. I just took out my calculator and entered 54' X 8' X 8' and divided buy 128', that comes up with 27 cord. That would be a 54' trailer stacked tight 8' high and 8' wide. Real life trailers aren't 8' wide and I don't think they stack logs 8' high around here, so the measurments will be considerabley less. I don't think you can get anywhere near 40 face out of a trailer. Unless you have much bigger trucks than we do in MD, Joe.

Iron wood is another name for the Hophornbeam. It is hard, I liken it to a Dogwood in weight and hardness. I've never had sparks fly from it, but I have friends that say they have. But, that's always after I yelled at them for sticking one of my saws in the dirt, Joe.

Dirt could be the problem, pretty clean load, good thing I have the logs off of the ground. I have cut birch before that has grown in sandy soil and you go through chains quick.

Ironwood is also Blue beech also known as Americann Hornbeam

I always called Armican Hornbeam, Iron wood or Blue Beach, as you said. But, when I looked it up just to make sure the book stated that American Hornbeam and Blue Beach were the same, and Hophornbeam and Iron Wood were the same. For 50 plus years I would agree with you. They both work for me, Joe.

I bought a tractor trailer load of logs one time 30 years ago. It was $450, mostly Oak, had 2 gum logs mixed in. I split and stacked it during the summer and didn't use a stick of it till it was all stacked. I got right at 7 measured cords. I just took out my calculator and entered 54' X 8' X 8' and divided buy 128', that comes up with 27 cord. That would be a 54' trailer stacked tight 8' high and 8' wide. Real life trailers aren't 8' wide and I don't think they stack logs 8' high around here, so the measurments will be considerabley less. I don't think you can get anywhere near 40 face out of a trailer. Unless you have much bigger trucks than we do in MD, Joe.

You may be right. The load was overloaded by a good bit, kind of surprised he hauled it twenty+ miles on back roads the way it was loaded without trouble. It was also packed on the trailer fairly well. When I say face cord, I mean 16" x 4' x 8' which comes out to 41.6'. That would have come out to
83 face cord with the load you mentioned. Wish we still had those prices! I thought that 128' was a full cord. Sorry for the confusion.

Did you get that tractor trailer load cut yet.:hmm3grin2orange:

No sir, I worked on it most of Sunday. Unfortunately, I am trying to build kitchen cabinets for the in-laws and can't get right at it like I want to yet. Hate to see a pile of logs sitting idle.

Truck load of logs? I like to beat myself to death in woods felling and bucking my firewood. I am tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cheap to pay some one else to do it for me! Ive got good access to firewood, but Ive got to work hard for it! It costs me a about $54.00 per cord processed from standing tree to spilt and stacked. Thats all associated costs(chains - files - bar and chain oil - mix oil - fuel for truck - food and drinks - misc - etc) getting and proccessing the wood. Going local cost for mixed pinon / juniper firewood is about $225 - $250 range delivered and $20 per cord stacked.

Call me a mizery cheapskate, but it makes no sense to pay some for the work you can do yourself. Plus I need to get off my arse and do some hard work every now and then! :monkey:

Unfortunately I don't have access to a woodlot outside of a couple of woodlines with some dead elms, which get cut up so as not to waste free wood. Not everyone has access. I get what I can and buy logs when I can't. btw, I work my a$$ off to support my family between forty hours a week and side work, can't always get to the woods when they are available.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back