NIB Stihl chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
From time to time, I've seen NIB Stihl saws up for sale. I know that there's ways to acquire one, if you are a dealer and choose to sell one w/o being serviced, or maybe having gone out of business and the remaining stock is yours (if that's possible), or some other situation.

But, I'm talking about general, run-of-the-mill guy, selling one on E-Bay or CL or something similar. Each and every time I've purchased a new machine from a Stihl dealer, I got the impression that they wouldn't sell it to me, still sealed in a box and not having been serviced and started up. Of course, I've never asked to buy one, still sealed in it's box.

My question is......can / will an auth. Stihl dealer sell you a machine sealed in it's OEM factory box. And if so, does that make the factory warranty null and void?

I bought a 440 like that and asked them to leave it in the box since I planned on putting it up for a while. They had no problems with it and said bring it back when I was ready to use it and they would set it up and tune it.

I bought a 440 like that and asked them to leave it in the box since I planned on putting it up for a while. They had no problems with it and said bring it back when I was ready to use it and they would set it up and tune it.

Good to know. When I bought my Stihl FS-250R trimmer, it was obviously not in the box, but sitting out on display. I picked it up and took it to the cashier, ready to pay for it and walk out.

I was politely, but firmly told, that it had to be serviced, started up and checked, before it could be sold, even though I told the cashier that I could do it myself.

They asked why I didn't want it started and set and I said I have saws I'm using now. I just wanted one of these before they disappear off the shelves. Now it don't matter since they brought them back again later on.

Good to know. When I bought my Stihl FS-250R trimmer, it was obviously not in the box, but sitting out on display. I picked it up and took it to the cashier, ready to pay for it and walk out.

I was politely, but firmly told, that it had to be serviced, started up and checked, before it could be sold, even though I told the cashier that I could do it myself.
been to that store before ,huh?,lol

I'm sure some of the dealers on the site here will chime in, but a friend of mine is a dealer and he told me it's Stihl policy that they gas & run every piece of equipment before turning it over to the customer as well as explain the operation and safety mechanisms involved.

I'm not saying every dealer abides by every rule imposed on them, but this is what I was told is Stihl's policy for dealers.

I'm a dealer. It is our policy to run every saw that we sell to make sure it works properly when it leaves our shop. We also cover the proper starting procedure and safety features along with a talk about proper PPE. This helps protect us from product liability lawsuits and ensures that the product runs properly for customer satisfaction and warranty reasons. I think this is the professional way to sell saws, regardless of the fact that Stihl wants me to do it this way.

I have sold saws in boxes in special instances. Most of these instances were the fact that the saws would be traveling on aircraft and required to never had fuels in their tanks, or people shipping saws by US mail to rural locations in Alaska with no road access. In this case the customer receives instruction on assembling the saw as well as the other stuff listed above.

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk

I just bought an MS362 last week and the dealer asked me if it was gonna be a Christmas present or if he could fire it up before I left with it. So I think it would be possible.

Latest posts

Back