Nice little pile of walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 582227 Went out to do a quick drive through of our magsite this afternoon and I found a nice pile of black walnut someone had dumped on the side of the lane leading to the site. So I decided i had better give it a good home
good on yah,,but I refuse to burn it,,as you get about as much ash,,as the volumn of wood.......

good on yah,,but I refuse to burn it,,as you get about as much ash,,as the volumn of wood.......

To each his own... but out here, hardwood is getting hard to find, unless it's piss elm, cottonwood, or Russian olive. There used to be a lot of black locust, but they've all been removed to make room for bigger pivots. And it's free, so I won't b**ch too much, plus I'll saw some of it up with my Alaskan mill and make a few boards for a couple projects.

To each his own... but out here, hardwood is getting hard to find, unless it's piss elm, cottonwood, or Russian olive. There used to be a lot of black locust, but they've all been removed to make room for bigger pivots. And it's free, so I won't b**ch too much, plus I'll saw some of it up with my Alaskan mill and make a few boards for a couple projects.
hey,, i didn't slam uuuuu..just stated the use around here...dry the piss outta it, tho.. may get less ash..i had some dry two yrs,,still ash up the butt........

You burn much russian olive? I would think that would be pretty good burning, but dealing with the thorns would be a pain.

I've burned a little, it doesn't burn too bad, kinda has a faint creosote smell to it. Its a real bugger to get cut up though, dealing with all the thorns and small limbs makes it almost not worth messing with. I'm not sure how they grow in the rest of the country, but around here they are really bushy

I've burned a little, it doesn't burn too bad, kinda has a faint creosote smell to it. Its a real bugger to get cut up though, dealing with all the thorns and small limbs makes it almost not worth messing with. I'm not sure how they grow in the rest of the country, but around here they are really bushy

I made the mistake of planting some when I first bought this place....BIG MISTAKE. Nerved myself up one sspring about 7 years later and coverted them to a bonfire. Painful doesn't begin to describe the process!

Back