Nikasil cylinder cleanup pics and questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wont use acid and I still clean by hand with emery cloth and finish up with 240 Grit Aluminum Oxide to cross hatch.

240 Grit Aluminum Oxide. Copy paste info = This type is recommended for cylinder coatings such as chrome and Nikasil.
Used to lightly surface the bore of your cylinder, creating a cross hatch of scratches that helps your rings seat tightly to increase compression. They also smooth over imperfections around intake and exhaust ports.

320 Grit Silicon Carbide. " " " ". This type of hone works on all surfaces including cast iron cylinders.

p505after.jpg p505after2.jpg

That cylinder looks nice! ;)

@SoopermanLuva You did a fantastic job with that piston. Cleand out nice and that piston grove thing...:clap:

Just wondering...if you clean up a piston like that, won't cause any problems because of the tolerance increasement?

That cylinder looks nice! ;)

@SoopermanLuva You did a fantastic job with that piston. Cleand out nice and that piston grove thing...:clap:

Just wondering...if you clean up a piston like that, won't cause any problems because of the tolerance increasement?
Thanks! Yes, it will create problems. I have a picture of the intake side on here, which I just cleaned up with some scotchbrite and it does look nice. The exhaust side is quite a bit different. I slightly sanded it to get rid of sharp edges, but the scoring is still there. I wish I didn't rush it as much and made a picture of that side as well. I'll do so the next time I pull off the muffler. The piston is not round anymore and it never will be again. It's not a long term solution. I mainly wanted to restore the cylinder and the fact that the saw runs with that piston is a nice bonus. I'll replace it with a meteor or find a guy to machine a custom pop-up piston.

Latest posts

Back