Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5200 Project

I may have screwed the pooch on this one. :( but, am determined to follow through and make it a worthy entry at the next Poulan lovers GTG. I have been wanting a black top 5200, like the one Mark built for Andre at the last GTG. That was a beauty! My current 5200 is an early one screw top cover, smooth front case model. A good strong saw for sure.

I bought this a while back off Ebay, knowing it was locked up. And probably paying way to much for it. But, when ya want something bad enough, I guess emotion over rides common sense.
Its a black top with the ribbed front on the case. Externally it looks great, surely a worthy candidate for a resto. I started tearing it apart. Took the carb off, thats when my hopes took a nose dive, real fast. The reed cage was full of the white death!! Corrosion like I have never seen.

Took me forever spraying and soaking things to finally get the crank case split. Then get the piston free from the cyl. The crankcase & crank are shot. Removed the bearings & seals. The corrosion ate all the way to the outside, nearly. The cylinder, I think, might be salvageable. The piston, not so sure. I still can't get the rings out of it.

I have another crankcase coming. So will put new bearings & seals in that. Unless I can find another P/C sometime, I just might rob my old 5200 of its innards to complete this one. Hate to though. Hope to do the full restore on this one. Paint & decals. And mount that NOS 30" Poulan sprocket nose bar I bought about a month ago on it eventually. LOL

Here are some pics of the ugly mess as it sits now. Caution..not for the squeemish..lol
4000-5200024.jpg

4000-5200022.jpg

4000-5200023.jpg

4000-5200017.jpg

4000-5200019.jpg

Gregg,

:msp_unsure: Couple of weeks ago, I decided to make up a saw for my sisters BF Kevin. All he uses are a couple of Wildthings. I found a real nice Craftsman 3.4 crankcase for cheap. So I dismantled what was left of my "ugly bastard" kinda ported 3400. LOL Swapped a bunch of parts and gave it to him. He has been wanting a bigger saw.

He used for a day or so and liked it. The rear handle that was on it, had been repaired with JB weld and finally came apart again. So I thought I would do a little more modifications to the saw.
I had a rear handle for an early 3400, so I drilled the holes out on that and put it on this saw. I also had a 4000 Piston/cylinder that I been hanging on to. Decided to upgrade the saw a little more. I recently came across a 4000 air filter cover, so snagged that and changed that over also.

I added a clutch cover I had also. Put an older 20" bar I had, and loop of the old Vanguard chain on it, till he can get a different one. The only things that are not 4000, is the muffler and starter.
I or he hasn't put it in wood yet since the change, but I think he is gonna like it! Runs very well!
I gave it to him and said Merry Christmas!! He is tickled with it to say the least. Its still an "ugly bastard", just not quite as ugly. LOL

4000-5200009.jpg

4000-5200004.jpg

4000-5200008.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

Gregg, nice work but what I want to know is where you got those great decals on the clutch side. Both of my 4000's need them. I guess they are made of unobtainium.

Gerry

Thats what I thought as well.

Heck the 22" is to long IMO. I like 16"-20" on those mount saws.

I have had my 3750 buried in hard wood with the 22in bar on it and it still out cut my 036 with a 20in bar in the same wood. The only reason I don't like the 22in bar is because of the weird 76DL chain size. I haven't looked a ton yet but the little I have the ko41 mount is not easy mount to find in a 16 and 18in

3000 FPS, No I didn't :( The old tester I have doesn't want to work very well. Thats an item on the I want list, that I never get around to buying. lol

Gregg,

Christmas time. Hint to Ms. Clause. :msp_wink: Bookmark the one you want and show her or email.

Go on a Christmas shopping spree like my Ms. Clause did for me this year with her Christmas club account. :msp_biggrin: :msp_w00t:

Gregg, nice work but what I want to know is where you got those great decals on the clutch side. Both of my 4000's need them. I guess they are made of unobtainium.

Gerry

Gerry, Those decals I made myself several years ago. Tried making them on my cheap old ink jet printer. Was never happy with the results. So I gave up on that. They are what I call 20ft. decals. They look good 20 ft away. LOL If I ever try doing some more, I will send ya some.

Gregg,

I have had my 3750 buried in hard wood with the 22in bar on it and it still out cut my 036 with a 20in bar in the same wood. The only reason I don't like the 22in bar is because of the weird 76DL chain size. I haven't looked a ton yet but the little I have the ko41 mount is not easy mount to find in a 16 and 18in

I owned both of those saws too 3 3750 alone, 1 036 pro. My 3750 cut with my 262xp back to back testing, just felt like a little less torque from the 3750. Didnt have my 036 pro then to run back to back. I like the 036 pro better then the 262xp.

Cutting black oak with 22" 3/8 full comp buried was straining it and I could tell the clutch wasnt liking it. I love my 60cc Poulans :msp_wink: but a 22" is to much IMO.

Christmas time. Hint to Ms. Clause. :msp_wink: Bookmark the one you want and show her or email.

Go on a Christmas shopping spree like my Ms. Clause did for me this year with her Christmas club account. :msp_biggrin: :msp_w00t:

Kevin, I havn't had a Ms. Clause since 2004. LOL So its just me and the elves. And I havn't been able to get hold of them little elusive creatures.:msp_biggrin:

Gregg,

I may have screwed the pooch on this one. :( but, am determined to follow through and make it a worthy entry at the next Poulan lovers GTG. I have been wanting a black top 5200, like the one Mark built for Andre at the last GTG. That was a beauty! My current 5200 is an early one screw top cover, smooth front case model. A good strong saw for sure.

I bought this a while back off Ebay, knowing it was locked up. And probably paying way to much for it. But, when ya want something bad enough, I guess emotion over rides common sense.
Its a black top with the ribbed front on the case. Externally it looks great, surely a worthy candidate for a resto. I started tearing it apart. Took the carb off, thats when my hopes took a nose dive, real fast. The reed cage was full of the white death!! Corrosion like I have never seen.

Took me forever spraying and soaking things to finally get the crank case split. Then get the piston free from the cyl. The crankcase & crank are shot. Removed the bearings & seals. The corrosion ate all the way to the outside, nearly. The cylinder, I think, might be salvageable. The piston, not so sure. I still can't get the rings out of it.

I have another crankcase coming. So will put new bearings & seals in that. Unless I can find another P/C sometime, I just might rob my old 5200 of its innards to complete this one. Hate to though. Hope to do the full restore on this one. Paint & decals. And mount that NOS 30" Poulan sprocket nose bar I bought about a month ago on it eventually. LOL

Here are some pics of the ugly mess as it sits now. Caution..not for the squeemish..lol

4000-5200023.jpg

Gregg,

That is bad. Looks like water had been in there for a very long time.

Gerry, Those decals I made myself several years ago. Tried making them on my cheap old ink jet printer. Was never happy with the results. So I gave up on that. They are what I call 20ft. decals. They look good 20 ft away. LOL If I ever try doing some more, I will send ya some.

Gregg,

Thanks Gregg. That would be great. I don't know why Sugar Creek hasn't made those available. I guess just a lot of saws out there so they can't make them all.

4000-5200024.jpg

4000-5200022.jpg

4000-5200023.jpg

4000-5200017.jpg

4000-5200019.jpg

Gregg,

What all are you needing Gregg???
I can't help with a piston or cylinder but any of the rest you need is probably here just waiting for a chance to come to Jenera.

Mike

Gregg,

Gregg, dont rob your old one, we will find what you need, just let us know for sure. Your right about the P/C might work just fine with a little clean up. Dont worry about the rings, you can still get them no problem.

Ok I went to the powder coaters tonight with the 8500 parts. Turns out the rear tank/handle was not powder coated after all, just a really thick paint job. The case might or not be, its hard to tell.

It dont matter though, finding the Poulan green in powder coat dont seem to be worth the trouble from the 4 outfits I talked to. They were all saying big bucks to match it.

Also from what the guy was explaining to me, that powder coating Mag cases is a little more involved in the prep work and more chances of stuff going wrong. I learned a new word today as well, outgassing?

Not sure what it means but apparantly its not good when your coating Magnesium and it happens.

Also found it to be between $150-$200 to do the case's alone. Looks like its going to get a Modifiedmark paint job. :)

Ok I went to the powder coaters tonight with the 8500 parts. Turns out the rear tank/handle was not powder coated after all, just a really thick paint job. The case might or not be, its hard to tell.

It dont matter though, finding the Poulan green in powder coat dont seem to be worth the trouble from the 4 outfits I talked to. They were all saying big bucks to match it.

Also from what the guy was explaining to me, that powder coating Mag cases is a little more involved in the prep work and more chances of stuff going wrong. I learned a new word today as well, outgassing?

Not sure what it means but apparantly its not good when your coating Magnesium and it happens.

Also found it to be between $150-$200 to do the case's alone. Looks like its going to get a Modifiedmark paint job. :)

You should have been here this past week!

I made a crock pot full of 15 bean soup with a few chunks of a country ham hock throwed in to liven it up.
You would have gotten a real education in outgassing from "My Lovely Wife" and me.

Mike

What all are you needing Gregg???
I can't help with a piston or cylinder but any of the rest you need is probably here just waiting for a chance to come to Jenera.

Thanks Mike, The odd thing is, I really don't need to much (stuff) for this saw except the P/C LOL. Any Ideas on getting the rings out of this piston would be greatly appreciated. I haven't tried heat yet, but thinking that will be included in my next attempt. The drive sprocket on this saw actually looked new, which surprised me.

Mike

Gregg, dont rob your old one, we will find what you need, just let us know for sure. Your right about the P/C might work just fine with a little clean up. Dont worry about the rings, you can still get them no problem.

Mark, I thought I was on top of this and all ready have rings, bearings, seals for this. Was just keeping my fingers crossed that I would be able to free up an reuse the P/C. The water corrosion in the crankcase was an unexpected set back. I got a new reed cage, most gaskets I think. I havn't taken the recoil apart yet to see what that might need. Some day it will shine again..LOL I hope.

Gregg,

I made a crock pot full of 15 bean soup with a few chunks of a country ham hock throwed in to liven it up.
You would have gotten a real education in outgassing from "My Lovely Wife" and me.

Mike

No thanks, I been to that school. :hmm3grin2orange:

Mark, I thought I was on top of this and all ready have rings, bearings, seals for this. Was just keeping my fingers crossed that I would be able to free up an reuse the P/C. The water corrosion in the crankcase was an unexpected set back. I got a new reed cage, most gaskets I think. I havn't taken the recoil apart yet to see what that might need. Some day it will shine again..LOL I hope.

Gregg,

I have had that surprise myself. Didnt like it much either. :cheers:

I wanted to give a big shout out of THANKS !!! to Nik. (Fatguy) He made me some bushing pieces for my Poulan 3400-4000 piston tool. While working on that saw I gave to Kevin, I had the opportunity to use it, several times. It works amazingly well. Something to be said for the right tool for the job.:msp_thumbup:

Gregg,

Mike

Man nothing like some homemade beans, cornbread, chopped onions and homemade relish ketchup. Dang you made me hungry. :msp_thumbup:

What do you have to do to the husky bar to make it fit?

Nothing to make it fit, but just a couple minutes to make it oil.

If you notice there are no oil holes in your K041 mount bars and they get the oil fed to the bottom of the bar rails through the adjuster holes.

You just need to file the adjuster holes up in the K095 Husqvarna mount bars till the adjuster holes just break into the bottom of the bar groove.

I have been told that this maynot work so well on brands other then Oregon but I have not seen or tried any other brands.

Back