Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed a 57 for sale on Kijiji in your neck of the woods, was that yours? I still can't find a bearing house that can find seals for mine.
Regards,

Lee:rock:

yup that was on of mine!:rolleyes2:
getting rid of a few multiples before i move. makes more room for a few more poulans when i get to the new place:jester:
when i get stuff unpacked, i'll have a look to see if i have any seals left. i think i do. had the size written down somewhere.....

yup that was on of mine!:rolleyes2:
getting rid of a few multiples before i move. makes more room for a few more poulans when i get to the new place:jester:
when i get stuff unpacked, i'll have a look to see if i have any seals left. i think i do. had the size written down somewhere.....

Thanks! Good luck with the move, third biggest stressor after a death in the family and divorce!

Regards,

Lee:msp_sneaky:

the cases on saws generally appear to be die cast. during the die casting process, air is trapped within the metal, creating small voids. when the part is heated during the powder coating cure cycle, those pores can open up and allow the trapped gas to escape, causing bubbles in your finish.

a pre coating bake cycle usually has to occur along with another cleaning cycle prior to powder application.

the cases on saws generally appear to be die cast. during the die casting process, air is trapped within the metal, creating small voids. when the part is heated during the powder coating cure cycle, those pores can open up and allow the trapped gas to escape, causing bubbles in your finish.

a pre coating bake cycle usually has to occur along with another cleaning cycle prior to powder application.

Yep, sounds like what he was telling me. Don't sound like its worth the trouble, risk and expense to me at this point.

Thank y'all for the input on the Craftsman bar :rock:.

This caught my eye (a 245 is on my Poulan Wish List), but the lack of detailed photos, no b&c, & "saw is seized" description makes me leary. And it didn't sell the first time.

Vintage Dayton 463 chain saw | eBay

I took a chance on 5200 that was locked up, and lost. The P/C on those 245 types are made of the same stuff the 5200's are. Unobtainium!

Although, if ya want it for parts, and don't overspend, like I did. Be ok I guess.;)

:cheers:
Gregg,

Thank y'all for the input on the Craftsman bar :rock:.

This caught my eye (a 245 is on my Poulan Wish List), but the lack of detailed photos, no b&c, & "saw is seized" description makes me leary. And it didn't sell the first time.

Vintage Dayton 463 chain saw | eBay

I took a chance on 5200 that was locked up, and lost. The P/C on those 245 types are made of the same stuff the 5200's are. Unobtainium!

Although, if ya want it for parts, and don't overspend, like I did. Be ok I guess.;)

Gregg,

I saw that Dayton too, and agree with Gregg. The lack of underside and clutch side pics is a red flag too. Can't see damage and/or corrosion.

Did notice that it is a late Dayton badged 245SA. Clues for that are the black (rather than red) Dayton AF cover decal, the electronic ign decal on the flywheel cover, and the late style throttle lock button and separate decomp valve (which is the better setup than the integrated system).

Gregg,

If you happen to come across a crankcase that is in need of alittle repair I would be more than happy to help out with any welding that could be done.

If you happen to come across a crankcase that is in need of alittle repair I would be more than happy to help out with any welding that could be done.

Appreciate the offer of a weld job. You do great work on these things. The new crankcase came today. Don't think it will need any repairs. My old 5200 does have the bow saw cut in the side of the crankcase, that would be nice to have welded up sometime. Kind of a pain to deal with now though on a fully functional saw.

Gregg,

:msp_sneaky: You got that right Tim! I took a chance, and lost. I think I would have had better luck buying a Power Ball ticket.:( Well, maybe not.

Gregg,

Definitely a saw worth taking a chance on. Sorry it didn't work out for you but it looks like some enthusiastic members are going to help you out. It doesn't get better than that.

Tim

Gregg,

Actually Bryce has had some NOS 245 cylinders listed on eBay for a while now. Looks like he has several, $35 ea. Too bad no one has the pistons that I know of. Still the cylinder probably doesn't have the decomp port necessary for an SA. Just have to "pays ya monies and takes ya chances" on the parts saws. You never know. Might need some parts off that Dayton parts saw to repair an otherwise go SA next week. If it never happens you may have some parts to help someone else. Thought about buying it but I've got enough projects going now.

Appreciate the offer of a weld job. You do great work on these things. The new crankcase came today. Don't think it will need any repairs. My old 5200 does have the bow saw cut in the side of the crankcase, that would be nice to have welded up sometime. Kind of a pain to deal with now though on a fully functional saw.

Gregg,

Not a problem when your ready.

Now y'all have me thinking that the Dayton/245 might be worth $20.00 (if no bids) + $20.00 shipping. I'll ask my wife :taped:. It might be time to ask the seller for additional photos & info.

I welded up the end of this crank and could not figure out how to put it in a PM. I hope you guys don't mind. I added a before pic so you would know what it looked like.

264933d1354330700-husky-crank-before-3-jpg
View attachment 264933
264902d1354317761-img_1557-jpg
264907d1354317900-img_1552-jpg
264905d1354317896-img_1551-jpg

View attachment 264905View attachment 264907View attachment 264902

Last edited:
Back