Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thankyou Stephen. I always wanted a 4000 but never really expected to get this lucky. All that clean living is starting to pay off I guess. :hmm3grin2orange:

Al.

Al, yes Poulan had a plant in Canada, it was in Markham Ont, and it was up and running possibly before the Elux buy out.

I doubt that saw was built in the Emab Huron plant, as technically Elux owned them all at the time and as far as I know the only Poulan branded saws to come out of that plant were the early Pioneer based Poulan Pro models.

There were some variations in the Poulan models that were produced in the Markham plant compared to the US made saws, this we know for sure. Some differences were obvious things like colors and chainbrakes, others were not so obvious like internal configurations.

I think a lot of the saws built for export might have been built from that Markham plant, but I'm just guessing on that.

It sure appears you did finally get a 4000 though !. Who at this point knows for sure if it was actually sold as a 3800 or if the recoil was changed out at sometime.

OK, I know it is a dirty saw but that is a thin ring piston in there. I don't know much about them but I thought 3800's had plated pistons with thick rings. Am I right in thinking this is a 3700? And was it really made in Canada?

DSC00185.jpg

Al.

Nice find Al. These old Poulan saws are kinda like Christmas, never really know whats in the package, till ya unwrap it!:biggrin: They sure did make them in Canada. Nik can probably add some info to that. I know he has stated that a 3400 of his dad's, was actually a 4000. It was Canadian made. I think Nik was working on that project when he started this Poulan thread.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Nice find Al. These old Poulan saws are kinda like Christmas, never really know whats in the package, till ya unwrap it!:biggrin: They sure did make them in Canada. Nik can probably add some info to that. I know he has stated that a 3400 of his dad's, was actually a 4000. It was Canadian made. I think Nik was working on that project when he started this Poulan thread.

Gregg,

Unfortunately.... Just like Christmas.... Sometimes you unwrap a pair of socks when you thought you were getting a new corvette.

Al, yes Poulan had a plant in Canada, it was in Markham Ont, and it was up and running possibly before the Elux buy out.

I doubt that saw was built in the Emab Huron plant, as technically Elux owned them all at the time and as far as I know the only Poulan branded saws to come out of that plant were the early Pioneer based Poulan Pro models.

There were some variations in the Poulan models that were produced in the Markham plant compared to the US made saws, this we know for sure. Some differences were obvious things like colors and chainbrakes, others were not so obvious like internal configurations.

I think a lot of the saws built for export might have been built from that Markham plant, but I'm just guessing on that.

It sure appears you did finally get a 4000 though !. Who at this point knows for sure if it was actually sold as a 3800 or if the recoil was changed out at sometime.

Interesting that the saw has an EMAB label on it which is what I think was the company Electrolux formed when they bought up the chainsaw companies.
From what I can find out (which is not much) Poulan manufactured saws at the Skil plant in Markham and in Huron Park (Pioneer/Partner plant) is near windsor ON. This one looks like it came from there. Brian (the Poulan dealer) indicated that they had something in Quebec at one time but I have not been able to find anything out about it. I am not so sure that the Poulan/Pioneers weren't built in Huron Park. It appears the later large Pioneers were built in Huron Park according to Mike Acres.
Nice find on the saw. It's not often you get a pleasant surprise.

Greg, that is a nice find, and to think it has been sitting there waiting for you for 25 years. Please detail the piston fitting proceedures with pics for the weak of mind like me!

Hey, I had a great day too. Got in a real dirty 3800 which is actually a very low hour saw but filthy. I pulled the muff just now and I see a perfect aluminium piston and thin rings! Oh boy, I think I have snagged a 3700. My PP375 has thick rings and a chrome piston. Poulan sure did some funny things. Pics to follow.

Al.

Nice find on the 4000, you just never know, but I am curious. The PP375 is a yellow saw and it does not a chrome cylinder. I thought that is one of the things that made it a Poualn Pro saw. I am wondering if it got changed out by a shop at one time for a cheap fix.

Nice find on the 4000, you just never know, but I am curious. The PP375 is a yellow saw and it does not a chrome cylinder. I thought that is one of the things that made it a Poualn Pro saw. I am wondering if it got changed out by a shop at one time for a cheap fix.

I thought all the 375s came chrome bore. Hard to tell what happened over the years with old saws. You never know what a dealer had in stock. Back in the day, I can guarantee you my old local poulan shop stocked the 3800 sets before the 4000 sets if it saved them a few bucks in invertory.

5200 Piston install

Got up the mustard to try to install my new piston on my new to me crank. Mark requested that I try take some pics. First off, I noticed that the new pin is shorter than the old one. The grooves for the keeper clips are set back farther on the new piston. I cur a piece of 1/2" steel rod to use as an alignment tool.

The rod measured exactly 1/2", the piston pin is about .15" larger dia. So it slipped through, like it was made for the job. Was a piece of cake actually, to get the thrust washers, bearing, and all to line up with the "tool". I inserted the wrist pin in one end, and kinda applied pressure with a block of wood.

At first I didn't think I would have success, but once the piston heated up enough, with the propane torch, I was holding in my left hand, it slid right on. Even pushing my home made "tool" right out the other side. Slicker than snot. I couldn't install a clip on the back side first, as per instructions in the manual. These new clips are shaped different. Kinda like a G. Preventing a tool to pass through. So I added both keeper clips after I got the pin in, and centered.

Here is a pic of the two pins. Old one much longer.
5200Piston002.jpg

Here is a pic of the "tool" going though and holding everything in place.
5200Piston005.jpg

Here is a pic starting the wrist pin in.
5200Piston001.jpg

This pic, you can see how far back the clip groove is.
5200Piston003.jpg

And a final pic of the whole shebang together, and waiting to be put back in the case.
5200Piston009.jpg

Over all, these aren't to bad. I can't imagine what trouble I would have trying this, with it still in the crank case. I prefer doing a 4000. LOL

Gregg,

Got up the mustard to try to install my new piston on my new to me crank. Mark requested that I try take some pics. First off, I noticed that the new pin is shorter than the old one. The grooves for the keeper clips are set back farther on the new piston. I cur a piece of 1/2" steel rod to use as an alignment tool.

The rod measured exactly 1/2", the piston pin is about .15" larger dia. So it slipped through, like it was made for the job. Was a piece of cake actually, to get the thrust washers, bearing, and all to line up with the "tool". I inserted the wrist pin in one end, and kinda applied pressure with a block of wood.

At first I didn't think I would have success, but once the piston heated up enough, with the propane torch, I was holding in my left hand, it slid right on. Even pushing my home made "tool" right out the other side. Slicker than snot. I couldn't install a clip on the back side first, as per instructions in the manual. These new clips are shaped different. Kinda like a G. Preventing a tool to pass through. So I added both keeper clips after I got the pin in, and centered.

5200Piston002.jpg

Here is a pic of the "tool" going though and holding everything in place.
5200Piston005.jpg

Here is a pic starting the wrist pin in.
5200Piston001.jpg

This pic, you can see how far back the clip groove is.
5200Piston003.jpg

And a final pic of the whole shebang together, and waiting to be put back in the case.
5200Piston009.jpg

Over all, these aren't to bad. I can't imagine what trouble I would have trying this, with it still in the crank case. I prefer doing a 4000. LOL

Gregg,

Very nice job Gregg.Well,i have a question.I am not familiar with Poulan's differences but can you tell me the use of the torch?I wonder because the last time i was inside my 4200,i tap the pin with the plastic handle of a screw driver and went in its place very easy.Am i missing something?

Very nice job Gregg.Well,i have a question.I am not familiar with Poulan's differences but can you tell me the use of the torch?I wonder because the last time i was inside my 4200,i tap the pin with the plastic handle of a screw driver and went in its place very easy.Am i missing something?

Kostas, I for sure didn't write the Poulan manual, just follow it.:D Saws like the 3400-4000 have a tight fitting pressed in pin. Best removed with a tool that forces it out. They have NO clips either. This series of saw 4200, 5200 etc. Do use clips. I don't think they are as tight of a fit as the 3400. By using a torch, simple propane torch is enough, holding it on the center of the piston, while applying pressure to the pin, will force it out. I guess the makeup of the aluminum piston, expands differently than the steel in the pin does. Allowing an easy removal. Have to be careful however yo do it, not bend the crank rod. Or damage something by hitting hit, or driving with a hammer. Best I can tell ya.:D

Gregg,

You guys have such a great knowledge on Poulans, thank you for helping out.
Gregg, thanks for the how-to on the 5200 piston pin assembly - I can't view the pics as I am at work but I am going to save them to Mark's Poulan folder when I get home.

I am not sure about the 3800/4000 thing with my dirty saw but I have emailed the original owner to see if he can help with its background. I have a Micro of this saw's era (similar decals, chain brake etc) that has a chrome bore and thin rings too. I wonder if the Canadian based saws had better top ends?

Al

Kostas, I for sure didn't write the Poulan manual, just follow it.:D Saws like the 3400-4000 have a tight fitting pressed in pin. Best removed with a tool that forces it out. They have NO clips either. This series of saw 4200, 5200 etc. Do use clips. I don't think they are as tight of a fit as the 3400. By using a torch, simple propane torch is enough, holding it on the center of the piston, while applying pressure to the pin, will force it out. I guess the makeup of the aluminum piston, expands differently than the steel in the pin does. Allowing an easy removal. Have to be careful however yo do it, not bend the crank rod. Or damage something by hitting hit, or driving with a hammer. Best I can tell ya.:D

Gregg,

I was aware about the 3400-4000 saws.Well to be honest i didn't notice any difference in the way the pin inserts in the piston between the 4200,the 306A and the 2775.What i am trying to say is that on my 4200 was really easy,i was almost able to push the pin by hand,that's why i wonder about the torch.Anyway,Poulan knows better.I am really glad you found the parts to fix your 5200.

Interesting that the saw has an EMAB label on it which is what I think was the company Electrolux formed when they bought up the chainsaw companies.
From what I can find out (which is not much) Poulan manufactured saws at the Skil plant in Markham and in Huron Park (Pioneer/Partner plant) is near windsor ON. This one looks like it came from there. Brian (the Poulan dealer) indicated that they had something in Quebec at one time but I have not been able to find anything out about it. I am not so sure that the Poulan/Pioneers weren't built in Huron Park. It appears the later large Pioneers were built in Huron Park according to Mike Acres.
Nice find on the saw. It's not often you get a pleasant surprise.

Yes it is interesting seeing the Emab lable but that just means the company that built it if you want to get techincal. This would be thet first time I had heard of the 3400-4000 series saws being built at that plant. Not sure why they would tool up to do it there while they already were at the Markham plant as well as the US plant. Like I said I'm not 100% sure they didnt but would be surprised if they did.

I know the 4000 was discontinued in 1988 and the Poulan pro versions started in 1988- early nineties I would reckon.

As for the big P series Pioneers at the EMAB plant, I'm not sure either, we know the Poulan Pro versions like the 655 were built at that plant, and they started in 1988. I'm thinkin that there may have been some of the Pioneers built there as as well, like maybe the last of the Pioneer/Partner branded ones like the P-62 and P-65.

What I really want to know though is what was actually going on in the Peterbrough plant between 1984 and 1988, the Pioneer/Partner years. If it really was used for warehousing like I have been lead to believe then that just about assures that the big P series would have all had to be built at EMAB Huron Park.

Aftermarket p/c kits

I'm looking at these, on ebay, for a Husky 359. Has anyone used any of these? If so, which brand, and how did they work out?:msp_confused:

Gregg,

You got exactly what I was saying, works easy that way with something to hold it all together, too bad we dont have all the orginal Poulan service tools they offered for these jobs. Nik has been slacking!

New to me 3500. I haven't cleaned it at all, doesn't look to have seen much use. :D

Thomas, thats a dandy! You need to go out and cut a half a day with it and then tell us what you think, there one of the most user friendly firewood saws around. I think you will like it.

Friend of mine still has a 3500 he bought new. 60cc and reminds me of the PP365

It is the basic same exact saw, just in green. I think there was a little bit of swithing around with the starter pawls with the PP version haveing double pawls instead of single.

You guys have such a great knowledge on Poulans, thank you for helping out.
Gregg, thanks for the how-to on the 5200 piston pin assembly - I can't view the pics as I am at work but I am going to save them to Mark's Poulan folder when I get home.

I am not sure about the 3800/4000 thing with my dirty saw but I have emailed the original owner to see if he can help with its background. I have a Micro of this saw's era (similar decals, chain brake etc) that has a chrome bore and thin rings too. I wonder if the Canadian based saws had better top ends?

Al

It would be nice if you could find out the whole story Al. Like I said, there were some differences in the Canadian saws and export saws as well.

I was aware about the 3400-4000 saws.Well to be honest i didn't notice any difference in the way the pin inserts in the piston between the 4200,the 306A and the 2775.What i am trying to say is that on my 4200 was really easy,i was almost able to push the pin by hand,that's why i wonder about the torch.Anyway,Poulan knows better.I am really glad you found the parts to fix your 5200.

You 4200 probably just has some minor wear going on with the pin fit, thats all. Run it like you stole it. :msp_thumbsup:

You really dont even need a propane torch when there new, I use a heat gun on mine and it dont take much.

Latest posts

Back