Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steer me in the right direction

Hey guys. Picked up a Sears Craftsman 3.7 yesterday. 358.356090 poulan pedigree perhaps?? I love this thing. It's a 60 cc saw, 20" b&c. Starts up and runs ok and everything seems to work. Big issue is it has NO compression. Two fingers and you can start it. I'm exaggerating a little but it's weak. I need to find a good saw guy in or close to my neck of the woods that would be willing to look this thing over for me. I'd like to get it running right. Thanks

No it's not. Good thing is there are all kinds of parts still available for it. They, sears direct, priced me $167.90 for a new engine today. A little digging revealed their "engine" is actually a crank case in my eyes. Maybe I can get it rebuilt.

No it's not. Good thing is there are all kinds of parts still available for it. They, sears direct, priced me $167.90 for a new engine today. A little digging revealed their "engine" is actually a crank case in my eyes. Maybe I can get it rebuilt.

It's either a 3700 or a 3800 poulan. Some of these guys can tell you by the #, but thin rings bare piston is a 3700. Ring it and go if it still starts. These are not very hard to start if they are at 120-130 psi. I'd do a compression test and get that muffler pulled. That happens right away to every saw that comes in my shop.

It's either a 3700 or a 3800 poulan. Some of these guys can tell you by the #, but thin rings bare piston is a 3700. Ring it and go if it still starts. These are not very hard to start if they are at 120-130 psi. I'd do a compression test and get that muffler pulled. That happens right away to every saw that comes in my shop.

You can't tell much by looking at the piston on the 3800. The piston might be good but the aluminum cylinder could be worn out. Mine looks great but only has 120 psi. Mine is the aluminum cylinder model. Not sure it would help to re-ring it.

Hey guys. Picked up a Sears Craftsman 3.7 yesterday. 358.356090 poulan pedigree perhaps?? I love this thing. It's a 60 cc saw, 20" b&c. Starts up and runs ok and everything seems to work. Big issue is it has NO compression. Two fingers and you can start it. I'm exaggerating a little but it's weak. I need to find a good saw guy in or close to my neck of the woods that would be willing to look this thing over for me. I'd like to get it running right. Thanks

From your model number it's a Poulan 3800 saw.

Compression on these is typically low. Do you have a compression tester so you can get a real number?

If it starts and runs OK it may be OK. Lots of guys on here with 3800's that could give you an acceptable range for the compression if you can test it.

If you fell comfortable pulling the front cover off the muffler and looking the piston and cylinder through the exhaust port for scoring, that will tell you if you have a problem there.

Okay so I decided to pull the cylinder on my 3400 ]today to tighten the intake gasket and I find a ring broken into two I don't think this happened pulling the cylinder but would explain not running the best so know I need a cylinder if anyone has any good ones around let me know
ATTACH]

Compression on these is typically low. Do you have a compression tester so you can get a real number?

If it starts and runs OK it may be OK. Lots of guys on here with 3800's that could give you an acceptable range for the compression if you can test it.

If you fell comfortable pulling the front cover off the muffler and looking the piston and cylinder through the exhaust port for scoring, that will tell you if you have a problem there.

how about this model # 358.354830

You can't tell much by looking at the piston on the 3800. The piston might be good but the aluminum cylinder could be worn out. Mine looks great but only has 120 psi. Mine is the aluminum cylinder model. Not sure it would help to re-ring it.

Sorry... I meant look to see which saw it was... 3700 or 3800.

I have a 3400 with 120 that runs and looks like new and a 3800 with 130 that runs great too.

You're right about the bad chance for a re ring on the 3800. You or bob I believe we're the one that told me that in the first place.;). I have cleaned a few 3400s up after they got a bit scored. Worked out ok.

how about this model # 358.354830

The new Poulan 50cc saw 5020 I think

Okay so I decided to pull the cylinder on my 3400 ]today to tighten the intake gasket and I find a ring broken into two I don't think this happened pulling the cylinder but would explain not running the best so know I need a cylinder if anyone has any good ones around let me knowhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/20/9e7ura7e.jpg[/IMG[ATTACH]280181[/ATTACH][ATTACH]280182[/ATTACH][ATTACH]280183[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

How about a brand new one?

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chainsaw-Cylinder-530012066-530011586-530011661-Craftsman-Poulan-Saws-/150935417025?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232473b0c1]Chainsaw Cylinder 530012066 530011586 530011661 Craftsman Poulan Saws | eBay[/url]

358.354830 is my 3.7 craftsman from way back. i have never taken the muffler off either,

Interesting. That's the second part number at Sears that I've seen that has been recycled. It's also the number for their 5020
358.354830 Chainsaw from Sears.com

The other was when I was trying to figure where the 23389 pistons were used and found the model # which was attached to a 25 series saw and also to a new saw

Okay so I decided to pull the cylinder on my 3400 ]today to tighten the intake gasket and I find a ring broken into two I don't think this happened pulling the cylinder but would explain not running the best so know I need a cylinder if anyone has any good ones around let me knowhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/20/9e7ura7e.jpg[/IMG[ATTACH]280181[/ATTACH][ATTACH]280182[/ATTACH][ATTACH]280183[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

I have a used 3400 cylinder you can have (just pay shipping) also has a muffler and intake still attached. Let me check it and see how much clean up it will need (you can do that right).
If I remember it came from a non running parts saw that had piston damage too.

I have a used 3400 cylinder you can have (just pay shipping) also has a muffler and intake still attached. Let me check it and see how much clean up it will need (you can do that right).
If I remember it came from a non running parts saw that had piston damage too.

Yeah that would be great jeremiah. those marks are in the exhaust port if I make the port square

Latest posts

Back