Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I'd run my saws seeing as how its been a while. Like to run them occassionally, similar to the Tiger Tanks in "Kelley's Heroes". Every one I started I noticed the chain would either creep or slowly turn while idling.I pulled a couple clutches and had forgotten there was no sprocket bearing for these models. I can only assume the lack of a bearing tends to cause this situation.
Bob

Did you start up that 655, how is it running?

Well I just finished up a carb job. Probably not what your expecting though, it was a 4bbl Motorcraft by Holley carb on my dads small motorhome. It has been along time since I done one of those and forgot what a PITA it is cleaning all the old gaskets up.

The EGR adapter plate gaskets and the carb base gasket were all burn out as well as the EGR valve broken.

Got it back together this morning and it runs pretty darn good.

This is not really off topic as since I got this done, I will be using it for the trip over to Greggs for the Poulan GTG so we don't have to run off early and can just sleep right there in it.

I had to get it running well to pull the trailer with the saw box on it, I imagine Chris will have some big heavy ones in it to pull.... :msp_wink:

older Sears saw.. ID help?

View attachment 314320

hi hope this newbies in the right section..

can anyone ID this older Sears saw by this single pic? talking to a guy and i cant get a model # out of him, or anything for that matter aside from this one pic.. asking $40. "cuts & runs awsome" never abused, good to go. sputters. guessing early 70's. 40cc maybe, 18" bar.

thanks

*just noticing it says "lightweight" i guess theres my answer. anyways $40 fair? if its in good shape? good saw for a novice & occasional use?

Last edited:
I know what mean about those carbs Mark. I had to rejet the Carter afb's on two of my old cars because of the altitude.

Cars and Saws.
314322d1379199540-002-jpg

314321d1379199537-004-jpg

View attachment 314320

hi hope this newbies in the right section..

can anyone ID this older Sears saw by this single pic? talking to a guy and i cant get a model # out of him, or anything for that matter aside from this one pic.. asking $40. "cuts & runs awsome" never abused, good to go. sputters. guessing early 70's. 40cc maybe, 18" bar.

thanks

*just noticing it says "lightweight" i guess theres my answer. anyways $40 fair? if its in good shape? good saw for a novice & occasional use?

Sears D-44 variant. 70-ish cc. Mid-late 1960's. Not a Poulan.

Last edited:
What model Poulan is this?

DefinitiveDave6_zpse166d617.jpg

My WAG 2100 or 2400

I thought 2400 but weren't they Canadian with chain brakes?

Model Profile: 2400 (CANADA)

The saw in the Acres listing for the 2400 is a Canuck version of an S25-CVA with a chainbrake, rim drive drum, .325 pitch chain, and a Windsor Mini-Pro bar. Totally different saw than the grey micro variant pictured above. I'm planning on setting up one of my S25-CVA's like that one in the Acres listing (just for the hell of it).............just as soon as I can find the 9 spline .325 pitch rim (I have the drum already). Not sure why Oregon set those drums up with the 9 spline rim. I have a 3/8-LP mini-pro bar (in the needed A041 type mount) that I'll swap a .325 pitch tip onto. They're on feebay quite often. IIRC the tip is the same as what's on a small GB bar too.

So far I've only been able to find 3/8-LP and 1/4" rims (and part #'s) for those drums. Haven't even been able to dig up the part # for the 9 spline .325 rim. There was an Oregon rim drive setup (for an unidentified saw application) on feebay a while ago, and it was 9-spline with a .325 pitch rim. They mentioned the drum diameter in the item description. Was over 3" IIRC, which would make it for a much larger saw than an S25-CVA. Damn thing was listed for at least $30 (plus shipping), and I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for it when I only wanted the rim. Oh well............I'll find one someday. I've got the Oregon # for that mystery rim drive setup, and will hopefully be able to cross-ref it in an old Oregon catalog someday. Didn't find any matches in google searches...

Anywho.......That grey Craftsman saw is a Craftsman 2300AV labeled version of a Poulan 2400 Woodmaster. Spring AV rear handle version of a Micro. 38cc. Unplated bore and plated piston. A Poulan Pro 236 is the same saw, but with a chrome plated bore and a bare piston. Pistons for these saws are shared with some other saws in the Micro series, but the cylinders are unique to the 2100/2400/PP236 saws as they have provisions for the rear AV spring mount.

Last edited:
No chain brake on this one 2011 post USA.

DSCN8391.jpg

Yep. The 2100 and 2400 Woodmasters both look like that, and have no chainbrake. The only saw in this series with a chainbrake setup that I know of is the Poulan Pro 236C. May have found an alternate part number for NOS brake setups for these (different part # than what's on the PP236C IPL, but looks to have the same distinctive clutch cover shape) and will probably get one for my PP236. The # in the PP236C for the 'chainbrake kit' comes up as NLA. The other # is still available through a few sources (spendy though).

Still looking for a ring for it. 530027482 is the # for that ring. As far as I know, only a few of the Poulan Pro versions of the Micro family (PP235, PP236) used that ring. The 2100 Woodmaster used the same ring as a 2000 Micro, and the 2400 (and the Craftsman version) used the same ring as the 2300. Those rings are cheap and easy to find. Weird thing is..........I'd searched for the ring I need previously through ordertree as well as several other Poulan/Husqvarna parts outlets. Was NLA. Complete piston kits (and cylinders were available). Just now searched again. Still NLA at most places, but supposedly available from ordertree. Piston is now showing NLA on some sites but not others.

Last edited:
My 2100

Yep. The 2100 and 2400 Woodmasters both look like that, and have no chainbrake. The only saw in this series with a chainbrake setup that I know of is the Poulan Pro 236C. May have found an alternate part number for NOS brake setups for these (different part # than what's on the PP236C IPL, but looks to have the same distinctive clutch cover shape) and will probably get one for my PP236. The # in the PP236C for the 'chainbrake kit' comes up as NLA. The other # is still available through a few sources (spendy though).

Still looking for a ring for it. 530027482 is the # for that ring. As far as I know, only a few of the Poulan Pro versions of the Micro family (PP235, PP236) used that ring. The 2100 Woodmaster used the same ring as a 2000 Micro, and the 2400 (and the Craftsman version) used the same ring as the 2300. Those rings are cheap and easy to find. Weird thing is..........I'd searched for the ring I need previously through ordertree as well as several other Poulan/Husqvarna parts outlets. Was NLA. Complete piston kits (and cylinders were available). Just now searched again. Still NLA at most places, but supposedly available from ordertree. Piston is now showing NLA on some sites but not others.

I do have a 2100 Woodmaster with chainbrake. It may be a Canadian version but it does have one Aussie label. Purchased 2nd hand in Ontario, Canada. Took pictures but could get them loaded, maybe too big.

Regards,

Lee

Learning some things today!

I tore the 744 all the way apart and I mean all the way apart. Looks pretty good inside all things considered, bearings were a bit rough but the P/C were surprisingly very nice.

So rings, bearings, seals, and gaskets and she should be running like new soon.

I also keep learning things and finding out I didn't know what I thought I did sometimes as well.

I had for some reason believed that the 744 was a auto oiler saw, but its not, its manual oiling only. I wonder why the 1972 brochure list it as a "semi automatic" oiler? It uses the same manual pump that the 245 dose, its just mounted in a different place and operated by the regular thumb button but used a bell crank to operate it.

It seems the 252 maybe a auto oiler as well as the 252A and that the major difference of the 252A being a 245 style throttle lock and ign switch...

Someone needs to find me a 252A though, just so I can be sure. :msp_wink:

Finally got around to pulling the jug on the 71-A as well, and found the rings were pretty wore on it. Cleaned everything up and put a new set of rings in it and WOW what a difference it made in the way it starts and runs.

Had it out in the 5' log today and it ran better then it ever did.

Seeing how the 71-A has kicked off the last two Poulan GTG's I wanted to make it better then ever to kick it off again this year!!

:rock:

Mark, a 201 interest you? I have most of one in a box, I know it is missing the P&C (and maybe the crank). Definitive Dave has a 400, but it is semi rough, he wants $40.00 for it.

Back