Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got around to pulling the jug on the 71-A as well, and found the rings were pretty wore on it. Cleaned everything up and put a new set of rings in it and WOW what a difference it made in the way it starts and runs.

Had it out in the 5' log today and it ran better then it ever did.

Seeing how the 71-A has kicked off the last two Poulan GTG's I wanted to make it better then ever to kick it off again this year!!

:rock:

It did OK.:msp_rolleyes:

No a partial one holds no interest to me. Did you get the complete one that he had?

Mark,
we looked extensively for that saw on Friday and couldn't find it, the only 201 was the marked box, wondering if you saw something goofy in one of my pics, we really did look for it for you
only saws that sold before the sale were a pair of parts mac minis (110 and 140)
Dave

Mark,
we looked extensively for that saw on Friday and couldn't find it, the only 201 was the marked box, wondering if you saw something goofy in one of my pics, we really did look for it for you
only saws that sold before the sale were a pair of parts mac minis (110 and 140)
Dave

Dave, I didn't see anything goofy at all. You posted a picture of a 200 series saw and you typed out in your list that you had a Poulan 201 that would be for sale.

Maybe your the one that has something goofy going on?

Learning some things today!

I tore the 744 all the way apart and I mean all the way apart. Looks pretty good inside all things considered, bearings were a bit rough but the P/C were surprisingly very nice.

So rings, bearings, seals, and gaskets and she should be running like new soon.

I also keep learning things and finding out I didn't know what I thought I did sometimes as well.

I had for some reason believed that the 744 was a auto oiler saw, but its not, its manual oiling only. I wonder why the 1972 brochure list it as a "semi automatic" oiler? It uses the same manual pump that the 245 dose, its just mounted in a different place and operated by the regular thumb button but used a bell crank to operate it.

It seems the 252 maybe a auto oiler as well as the 252A and that the major difference of the 252A being a 245 style throttle lock and ign switch...

Someone needs to find me a 252A though, just so I can be sure. :msp_wink:

I have a little orline top handle saw that has a semi auto oilier. When you pull the throttle it is connected to the manual oil button so every time you pull the trigger it depresses the oilier. Might be a similar setup?????

This 2100 I bought for myself awhile back but quit using it, is going to be given to MS460woodchuck's kid at the poulan gtg.
Only thing is they will have to have a father son day and replace the fuel line now. I went to make some trim cuts and the fuel line crumpled inside the tank :bang:.

I likem and love the spring AV.

744 clean up started!

What a mess, but its all apart and mostly cleaned up. Just got to do a few minor things before the parts show up. I still need to redo the recoil assy, rebuild the carb and oiler.

Its killing me as this thing keeps screaming REPAINT ME! So far I have resisted the urge as I wanted to leave this rare piece as is but in excellent running condition.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have a little orline top handle saw that has a semi auto oilier. When you pull the throttle it is connected to the manual oil button so every time you pull the trigger it depresses the oilier. Might be a similar setup?????

I know what your talking about, I have a Orline/Ford saw like that but there is absolutely nothing like that on this saw.

Tellyawhatoldbuddy.................I'll double yer money and giveya $50 for one of them thar Dayton 4Z252's...:D

I think I gave $150 for the one I got in the spring, the other one came in a bulk deal and I have never had it running. The $25 5200 was an AZ CL find that the owner could not get running despite throwing parts at it. Turned out to be the kill switch.

S25DA Pressure test Issue

Trying to do a pressure test and am failing. Leaking around the oil pump. I removed the pump and holding my finger over the case oil impulse opening , pressure holds. However after adding new oem gasket and reinstalling the pump, air is escaping from the impulse hole between the case and the pump. There is no gasket covering the impulse hole which I assume is normal. Is this an issue? If so any suggestions?
Bob

Trying to do a pressure test and am failing. Leaking around the oil pump. I removed the pump and holding my finger over the case oil impulse opening , pressure holds. However after adding new oem gasket and reinstalling the pump, air is escaping from the impulse hole between the case and the pump. There is no gasket covering the impulse hole which I assume is normal. Is this an issue? If so any suggestions?
Bob

I block that hole when testing the 3400. I can't tell you whether it leaks or not without blocking it but I'll bet it does.
I just made a gasket to replace the diaphragm out of an inner tube

I block that hole when testing the 3400. I can't tell you whether it leaks or not without blocking it but I'll bet it does.
I just made a gasket to replace the diaphragm out of an inner tube

My concern is I can't even get the needle to move. Holds nothing with pump installed. Concerned if this might cause an idling issue or lean seizure.

My concern is I can't even get the needle to move. Holds nothing with pump installed. Concerned if this might cause an idling issue or lean seizure.

Bob, your pumping the oiler diaphragm back and forth.

If you plugged the impulse hole and it passes a vac test, put it together and run it. If it don't pump oil you may have a problem but if its oiling like it should your good to go.

FWIW I never ever vac tested a 25, never needed to, but when I vac test a 3400 up series saw I always put a block off plate over the oiler to test it.

They just wont test right with the oiler in place from what I have found.

Bob, your pumping the oiler diaphragm back and forth.

If you plugged the impulse hole and it passes a vac test, put it together and run it. If it don't pump oil you may have a problem but if its oiling like it should your good to go.

FWIW I never ever vac tested a 25, never needed to, but when I vac test a 3400 up series saw I always put a block off plate over the oiler to test it.

They just wont test right with the oiler in place from what I have found.

Mark, do you block off the oiler at the exit or do you actually remove the pump and block it elsewhere?

Latest posts

Back