Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Very nice Tim. I have never seen a 61cc 3400. I guess you never know until you pull the muffler.

I did pull the muffler and it is a 3700. Both of the ones I have have been repainted and have the Canadian Tire yellow paint underneath the Poulan green. Either they had too many 3700 top ends hanging around or made some 3700's up for Canadian Tire and I know they never carried them. I am still looking for the elusive 3400XP which is orange and has a 4000 top end on it. Poulan Canada said a lot of those were sold but I have never seen one come up for sale. The only pic I've ever seen of one belonged to Fatguy (Nik). LOOKING FORWARD TO MEETING YOU NIKat the GTG.
I think all of the larger Poulans are hard to find up here because very few were sold. I was very lucky to find the 4200 and 5200 models. The ones I got are the only ones I've seen come up for sale. There are lots of 3400's and some 3700, 3800's and the smaller saws sold under the Sears name.

Last edited:
must be one of those imperial gallon conversions....little bigger than the U.S. version.....:D
been busy, with the new hip, now that I can walk I have 7 years of maintenance to catch up on.:bang:

We are lucky to live in an age where we can get good repairs and spare geezer parts.
Glad to hear you are mending up.

I picked another one of these 3400's with the 3700 factory installed cylinders up today. Looks good except for a mashed starter pulley. I have two of these now but no 3700 labelled as such. (Sleeper 3400's)

Very nice Tim. I have never seen a 61cc 3400. I guess you never know until you pull the muffler.

I did pull the muffler and it is a 3700. Both of the ones I have have been repainted and have the Canadian Tire yellow paint underneath the Poulan green. Either they had too many 3700 top ends hanging around or made some 3700's up for Canadian Tire and I know they never carried them. I am still looking for the elusive 3400XP which is orange and has a 4000 top end on it. Poulan Canada said a lot of those were sold but I have never seen one come up for sale. The only pic I've ever seen of one belonged to Fatguy (Nik). LOOKING FORWARD TO MEETING YOU NIKat the GTG.
I think all of the larger Poulans are hard to find up here because very few were sold. I was very lucky to find the 4200 and 5200 models. The ones I got are the only ones I've seen come up for sale. There are lots of 3400's and some 3700, 3800's and the smaller saws sold under the Sears name.

Pretty slick Tim. That's strange indeed how the Canuck versions of that series were often labeled "3400" when they were actually 3700's or 4000's. Your "stealth 3700" is the first 3400 badged 3700 that I've seen pics of. I remember seeing pics of Nik's 3400XP. Wonder if they ever built 3400's with 3800 top ends.....

I picked another one of these 3400's with the 3700 factory installed cylinders up today. Looks good except for a mashed starter pulley. I have two of these now but no 3700 labelled as such. (Sleeper 3400's)

Nice find. I find that whole Poulan Canadian connection interesting. I wish there was more info out there to learn more about it. I should have paid more attention to it back at the time it was going on, but I was more interested in things that wore skirts and 4 barrels back then. My chainsaw interest at the time was only that I had one that worked to help keep my broke ass warm in the winter. :laugh:

I counted 24 needle bearings for the connecting rod, do i just use some grease and position them in place as i install the connecting rod back on the crank?

Mark, any other tips you can add i will greatly appreciate.

Have i said thanks to everyone for the help the past year lately??

Thanks again, :biggrin:

Chris pretty much explained it the same as I would have. Can't wait to see that big boy up and running. I had a line on one a while back but never was able to make contact with the seller...:msp_mad:

Nice find. I find that whole Poulan Canadian connection interesting. I wish there was more info out there to learn more about it. I should have paid more attention to it back at the time it was going on, but I was more interested in things that wore skirts and 4 barrels back then. My chainsaw interest at the time was only that I had one that worked to help keep my broke ass warm in the winter. :laugh:

I'd love to see a woman with a 4 barrel!
Heck, right now I'd like to see one get injected!!!:msp_wub:

Mike

Poulan bow bar #

nice but not having a upper guard on it makes me nervous. If you give me the part number of the bow,I can look to see if I can find the part number for the correct upper guard to see if we can find you one for it.

the bar # is 1080 4484

Took some pics of the 85cc family and a stray red and black PP 475.20131007_165116.jpg
20131007_164842.jpg
20131007_164856.jpg
I took the 2077 cutting right away and after some tuning I was rather impressed with the performance then I found out it had a 8 pin rim on it and all I can say is wow.

Even if the 4 barrel was a quad 50?

M45 Quadmount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's amazing what can be found in a quick google search for "quad .50 generator". Tried to find a pic of one with a Homelite generator on it (seen one before). No luck. Just the Briggs versions. Oh well. My failed attempt at being a smartass at least found some cool stuff. I have a very old edger from my Grandpa's ranch. Has a B&S engine just like what's on the generator in the USS Lexington M45 mount pic...

RAL - USS Lexington report on Service Experience With Six Caliber .50 Gun Mounts, Mark 31 Mod 0

Mount5.jpg

m-45g_quad_50.jpeg

"Krautmower".............gotta love it.:D

Last edited:
M45 Quadmount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's amazing what can be found in a quick google search for "quad .50 generator". Tried to find a pic of one with a Homelite generator on it (seen one before). No luck. Just the Briggs versions. Oh well. My failed attempt at being a smartass at least found some cool stuff. I have a very old edger from my Grandpa's ranch. Has a B&S engine just like what's on the generator in the USS Lexington M45 mount pic...

RAL - USS Lexington report on Service Experience With Six Caliber .50 Gun Mounts, Mark 31 Mod 0

Mount5.jpg

m-45g_quad_50.jpeg

"Krautmower".............gotta love it.:D

Make it rain really bug hulls, and lots of them really fast.....

Make it rain really big hulls, and lots of them really fast.....

My mom's cousin's husband was a marine in the Inchon bay landings in Korea. Afterwards, he was stationed near one of those M45 mounts. A sniper opened up on them and John saw the muzzle flashes in a stand of trees. The M45 gunner couldn't spot the sniper, so John hopped in the seat and took the bastard out with the Quad. Said branches and small TREES were falling down around where the sniper was holed up. Awesome firepower.

Back