Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been watching both saws the 330 and 4000. They are both way above what sits in my pockets. How about that 475 on eBay about a two weeks ago that sold for 505.00 dollars. Wow.

Finally got loaded up, bringing too many saws. Had to leave a few behind such as the Pioneer P-39, Partner 7000, Homelite 540 and Mac 7-10. I do have a bunch of green and realized I tried to leave the 4400 at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Can't seem to edit via Tapatalk, but I got a new rope installed on the Echo 900 and am bringing that. Don't like cutting in bibs, so I will let Mark carry the banner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Would someone please PM me Gregg's address? I could find it without it, but............ Thanks.

The truck is loaded. I didn't think I would actually do it, but the Mall 6 is ready to go. It had not been fueled since the complete restoration. It popped on the 2nd pull:rock: Then clutch seems to be working as it should. Even more importantly, the fuel tank does not seem to be leaking at all. I had both end caps off it. I welded them back on, and then sealed it with some liner compound from NAPA. I've been worried about it ever since. So far so good.

This is the fewest saws I've ever brought to a GTG. I didn't feel like it, plus needed to leave room for Nik and Andre's saws. I'm bringing
1. Mall 6
2. Poulan Pro 655 BP
3. Alpina 90
4. Super XXV CVA
5. Piped 390XP
6. Rebuilt 346XP that I need to test run

See you guys in the morning!

4200 questions

I just discovered this thread and hope maybe I can get some answers if I repost my message that got no responses on the general board:

Testing the spark on a disassembled Poulan 4200, etc.

I just bought a cardboard box full of Poulan 4200 Counter Vibe, serial 429322.

The seller said it is all roses, and complete except for the top ring, which he broke. He said it ran like the proverbial “real beast” (next to his 018 and MS250) and he took it apart because he wanted to paint it up “like new”!!! And also there was “excess smoke.” The carb, a Tillotson HS168A538, is set 7/8 open for the low, 1-3/8 high. Does that sound like smoke? The reeds look ok.

Before I attempt reassembly, I would like to test the spark components. Can anyone suggest how I do this?

If I cannot find 1.845 in. (46.86mm) rings as listed on the Acres site, can I go with just one, moving the unbroken ring to the top? or could I try a 47mm ring and file it for proper gap? Are they 1.5mm thick? (Since I wrote this I discovered that they are 1/16th, thanks to Dandrikop) The piston and cylinder are not perfect, but perfectly useable I believe.

There was something like hot-melt glue that fell away from the crankcase seam, making me wonder if there was a problem. Are these prone to leaking there? I don't want to split the case unless it is warranted. The crank action feels ok.

It appears that a previous, previous owner attempted to install a compression release. So there is a hole in the top cover and a brass plug in the top of the cylinder near the spark-plug hole. It does not look like it was leaking. I don't think to hole in the cover is an issue but I wonder about the brass plug's affect on ignition?

And the air filter – it is a plastic box with screen top and bottom. Do I need some good flocking or what?

Other than that, everything just looks very well used.

Any comments, advice, suggestions and recommendation are welcome.

Thanks to all.

Don

I'm always skeptical when I buy a chainsaw in a box because usually there's an important part or two that are missing. It sounds like you might need a new air filter but I wouldn't try to find one until I was sure it will run. The way you could check the ignition is to put the ignition components on the saw and turn it over a few times with the sparkplug out but connected and laying against a good ground. If you see a reasonable spark then it's working. Don't forget to turn the ignition switch on.

Mark & Chris arrived early this evening. Have had a great visit. Looking forward to seeing the rest of you guys in the morning. No, we didn't run any saws, yet. :msp_tongue: Just a lot of BS and laughs. And, a few beers.

The guys turned in for the night. I'm going to hang on for awhile yet. See if Mike & Sheila make it tonight. They are en route.:msp_thumbsup:
Weather looks great! Its a shame ALL our fellow Poulan Lovers can't make it. But, if the shoe was on the other foot, I might not be able either.:mad: Lotta miles in this big old country.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Mark & Chris arrived early this evening. Have had a great visit. Looking forward to seeing the rest of you guys in the morning. No, we didn't run any saws, yet. :msp_tongue: Just a lot of BS and laughs. And, a few beers.

The guys turned in for the night. I'm going to hang on for awhile yet. See if Mike & Sheila make it tonight. They are en route.:msp_thumbsup:
Weather looks great! Its a shame ALL our fellow Poulan Lovers can't make it. But, if the shoe was on the other foot, I might not be able either.:mad: Lotta miles in this big old country.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Gregg, sure wish you guys good weather and a safe and fun day. Remember pics.

Bob

Loks like the Site has had a major change! "Bulletin" and blue background? Weird

This is VB basic skin setting. :msp_wink:

Yep. AS used to look like that years ago. Funny..............people freaked out when they switched to the newer VB and changed to the green/tan color.:D

They used one in the Kevin Costner film "Waterworld", pretty cool!!!!

Yep. That's the only part of that movie that I like. What's really interesting is how they made the guns run for the movie. Thankfully they didn't just shake the mount and add flashes later in editing. That'd suck. Instead, you can see compressed air lines running to the guns (fits the 'Mad Max, improvised look of all the vehicles and weapons in the movie). The guns were specially built to run on compressed air.

They actually feed and eject linked brass (the same way that live .50's feed belted ammo and eject the links and brass). You can see links rolling out of the side of the guns, and brass dropping out of the bottom. Makes for a very realistic experience (compared to the 'shaking' and edited-in flashes as often seen with movie MG's), while being less problematic (and dangerous on a movie set) than running the guns on blanks. The flashes were still edited in, but everything looks more realistic because of the cycling guns.

[video=youtube;0zJpr-bB1sg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_262093&feature=iv&list=PL38CC07A7B87124D0&src_vid=LoSLZP0e-M4&v=0zJpr-bB1sg[/video]
Skip up to about 1:50. You can clearly see the guns pulling belted 'ammo' out of the cans attached to the side...........and ejecting links and brass out of the guns. Funny that they also have short lengths of belted ammo attached to the sides of the guns for the closeup shots. They don't move when the guns fire.....

Anyone see that 4000 on EBay? Two guys really want that saw. Wish I was selling it!

Bob

I've been watching it . You see the lightly used PP330 that's up to $275 right now ?? It had a BIN of $130

Crazy isn't it. The 4000 is a good saw though and compared to the price of a new saw to run with it I guess their not doing to bad.

I have been watching both saws the 330 and 4000. They are both way above what sits in my pockets. How about that 475 on eBay about a two weeks ago that sold for 505.00 dollars. Wow.

Looks like us AS Poulan lovers have ruined the prices on em ! :msp_razz:

That 4000 is now over $400. Those two guys are really biddibg it up.

The ebay 'silly season' is upon us. Once it's over (usually somewhere in February or March from what I've seen), prices will be much closer to 'normal' again.

I hope my 380 does that well if and when I decide to sell it.

If you're gonna list it, do it soon. As you know, ebay runs hot and cold......................and it looks to be hot now. Seen several 'average' saws go for stupid money in the last couple weeks. I've got one or two that I'll list soon.

I thought I paid "top dollar" price for my 4200, that's makin it look better... but when its a "must have" like mine to me...View attachment 317393

Ebay's crazy.....

Last edited:
Back