Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pressure and vac won't help you with what I think is wrong.
You seal past the leak I believe you have.
I also hope you understood that when I said remove the top cover, I meant the whole top cover not just then get ghpropane air filter cover.
When I read it back after I posted that, it seemed a bit vague even to me.

Mike
I tested using propane and the idle dropped a hair when it was placed near the lower right manifold bolt. I've pulled the cylinder and removed the manifold and it appears fine. No cracks or anything. Have an extra and will install it. Not hopeful for a resolution as the old manifold looks fine.

Bob,
It may have been mentioned but is the throtle shaft on the carb worn?
Also,
When I first fire up a saw after fuel lines and a kit I prime the carb with an eye dropper. I usually have to re-tune when it's buttoned down with the air filter in place as it generally runs richer. I don't have a tach to test it out. Did you ever consider trying the same test with one of your other 4000's?
Replaced the carb with another one. May have to test my other 4000 to see how it reacts to loosening the filter cover.

I tested using propane and the idle dropped a hair when it was placed near the lower right manifold bolt. I've pulled the cylinder and removed the manifold and it appears fine. No cracks or anything. Have an extra and will install it. Not hopeful for a resolution as the old manifold looks fine.

Did you check it across all mating edges with a GOOD straightedge?
Could be slightly warped.
Did you use any sealer when you reassembled it?

Mike

Did you check it across all mating edges with a GOOD straightedge?
Could be slightly warped.
Did you use any sealer when you reassembled it?

Mike
May have to do that and use some sealant sparingly. Believe the pressure test would have picked up any distortion on the side attached to the cylinder. On the carb side, I'll check the surface.

="Acornhill, post: 4666077, member: 74868"]Echo, that saw is not going anywhere anytime soon, I am keeping good care of it, I thank you again

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk[/quote]
you're very welcome. Still kicking myself for selling it. Lol. Glad I grabbed this well used one, and it fired up tonight

Last edited:
Bob,
It may have been mentioned but is the throttle shaft on the carb worn?
Also,
When I first fire up a saw after fuel lines and a kit I prime the carb with an eye dropper. I usually have to re-tune when it's buttoned down with the air filter in place as it generally runs richer. I don't have a tach to test it out. Did you ever consider trying the same test with one of your other 4000's?
After reassembling my 4000 the same results showed. For comparison I tested my other 4000 and it exhibited the same reaction to loosening the air filter cover. I'm of the mind that this normal.

That's a head scratcher for sure, I'll do the same filter top/RPM check the next time I get mine out. It makes sense though, that you'd tune it with the cover on, then when it 's taken off the RPM would be higher.

I assumed the 4000 type mesh filter would would be a lot less restrictive than the 3400 flocked filter, as it's twice the area. Wonder if the 3400 series would pick up even more speed?

That's a head scratcher for sure, I'll do the same filter top/RPM check the next time I get mine out. It makes sense though, that you'd tune it with the cover on, then when it 's taken off the RPM would be higher.

I assumed the 4000 type mesh filter would would be a lot less restrictive than the 3400 flocked filter, as it's twice the area. Wonder if the 3400 series would pick up even more speed?

Air flow is certainly a science. It rarely does what you would expect it to do. It may have more to do with turbulence from the fan than the air filter itself. I wonder what the change would be with the top srewed down and no air filter in place?

Air flow is certainly a science. It rarely does what you would expect it to do. It may have more to do with turbulence from the fan than the air filter itself. I wonder what the change would be with the top srewed down and no air filter in place?
I can try that tomorrow. I can tell you that using a 3700 slit filter cover increases rpm's over the 4000 cover. Noticed that earlier this week. It's all relative however because you would have to richer the Hi needle to offset the leaner running due to more air.

I can try that tomorrow. I can tell you that using a 3700 slit filter cover increases rpm's over the 4000 cover. Noticed that earlier this week. It's all relative however because you would have to richer the Hi needle to offset the leaner running due to more air.
Ill tell you this Bob, both my 3700s are very good performers with that intake.

Is there a listing somewhere (or does someone know) what length and type of Poulan bars were available when?

For example, when restoring a 1976 5200, which bars were available at that time? It says that saw would take between 16" and 36", but did they offer a 20"? 24"? 25"? (just using that saw and those numbers as an example)

I know the Craftsman variant came with a 30" bar so I suspect Poulan may have offered that as well. Of the 5200's that I bought used with a bar all have been short (16" - 20"). I think that 20" and 24" bars were offered as well.

Let me ask this, and maybe it will attack the problem from a different angle - who manufactured the Poulan bars throughout their history?

Decided to look in my books, seems as if my 5200 data is missing as well as pages 4 & 5 of the 6900/7700/8500 section. However the 4400/4900/5400 section shows the following bar lengths:

For 3/8" sprocket

Hard Nose (All symmetrical i.e. no "banana" bars)

16" 61 DL
20" 72 DL
21" 72 DL
24" 81 DL
25" 82 DL

Replaceable Sprocket Nose

16" 60 DL
20" 70 DL
24" 81 DL
27" 90 DL
30" 97 DL

Control Tip

16" 60 DL
20" 70 DL
24" 81 DL

For .404 sprocket

Replaceable Sprocket Nose

32" 94 DL
36" 104 DL

Bows

13" (.050/.375) 80 DL
14" (.050/.375) 87 DL
14" (.063/.404) 79 DL

I suspect the 5200 had similar offerings.

Last edited:
Thanks Guido. I assume this list would also go for the smaller models too, like the 306 and 245? Would this also cover the micros?

Looking further at the book it shows that the 3400 was only available with 16", 18" or 20" bars. However the 3700 lists bars all the way up to 30" as does the 4000 section. Both the 3700 and 4000 list a 25" Hard Nose bar (82DL's) in addition to the bars shown above for the 4400/4900/5400 series of saws. My data is from 9/1/85 (3700) and 9/1/86 (4000).

That mint 245 I sold had a windsor 20" sprocket nose bar. The well used 245 I got the other day had an old 3 rivet 20" Oregon, which appears to be period correct. The 5200 has a 24" Oregon, but being the newer single rivet, id guess more recent replacement.

Back