Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a listing somewhere (or does someone know) what length and type of Poulan bars were available when?

For example, when restoring a 1976 5200, which bars were available at that time? It says that saw would take between 16" and 36", but did they offer a 20"? 24"? 25"? (just using that saw and those numbers as an example)

Have a look at the first page of this 5200 IPL. I don't see a date anywhere on the IPL though.

Attachments

• 5200 ipl.pdf
    108.4 KB · Views: 5
Thanks Guido. I assume this list would also go for the smaller models too, like the 306 and 245? Would this also cover the micros?

I have data for the 245 but not for the 306 and have it for most of the small saws and the Pro series. The 245A has the following options:

Sprocket Nose

16" 60 DL

Hard Nose

17" 61 DL
21" 72 DL

4000 IPL shows 16 different straight bars all requiring the S clip ranging from 16" to 30" and 2 bow bars.

a couple 27" bars as well.

I have a small notebook that contains parts information (typically 4-8 pages) on each of the saw models in the Countervibe and later series that I bought from a member here.
Thanks! Sounds like a great purchase to me! I love those 70s/early 80s Poulans!

the 4400/4900/5400 have pretty much the same with 2 added 404 options 32" & 36" and 3 bow bar options one being 404.

The 6900 7700 8500 have less options due to their 3/8 studs. same big bar options and bow options.

Tim,

My parts lists are d rated at the top, but are in a different format.

Gary

Is your list from an IPL or a dealer list? The list you you have looks more complete. I have a dealer list for some newer saws but not one that goes back that far.
I looked at my IPL for the 306A and it lists the same bars as the 245 list you have but adds a 25" HT.
Except for a 3800 (banana bar) and a 3400 (Oregon Power Match replacement), all the 3400 and both 3700's came with Windsor bars. I also have a new 16" Windsor that a guy with a 3400 bought when he bought his 3400 new.
Great bars. The steel in those Windsor bars is hard.

Is your list from an IPL or a dealer list? The list you you have looks more complete. I have a dealer list for some newer saws but not one that goes back that far.

They are titled "Poulan® Part List" and contain a Parts List No. (i.e. 64275 - 9/1/86 for the 4400) as well as the IPL and notes on the saw including superseding parts numbers.

I have a small notebook that contains parts information (typically 4-8 pages) on each of the saw models in the Countervibe and later series that I bought from a member here.

After having run a couple of bows at the GTG last year (one of them yours Gary, thanks) I was wondering if you knew who made them?
I can see why they were so popular for cutting logs on the ground. They are very rare in Canada. That's kind of surprising since Canadians are very leery about bending over to do anything given out government's history.

i have the Poulan sales & service manual dated 1993 which you guys have seen the cover before. i also have the Master parts list from Electrolux which give supersede numbers and obsolete numbers. I am just starting to read this.

After having run a couple of bows at the GTG last year (one of them yours Gary, thanks) I was wondering if you knew who made them?
I can see why they were so popular for cutting logs on the ground. They are very rare in Canada. That's kind of surprising since Canadians are very leery about bending over to do anything given out government's history.

I do not know if they were sourced or made in the Poulan plant. All of my Poulan bows are currently bolted up to saws so I can't readily take a look at any of the tails for any markings.

After reading the history of the bow saw (Mr. Bow Saw's post i believe) i also have grown fond of them. They were used heavily on the south USA for cutting up pulp wood once on the ground.

I've only grown more fond of the bows after reading Mr. Bow Saw's post, too. I'd love to have one (or a few). :)

if i remember correctly Poulan made the first bow out of a truck fender or something like that, I am sure they made their own bows for many years before sourcing them out. (probably made bows for other saw companies as well.

A couple of bow saws:

BigPoulanfamily3_zps4e08ba05.jpg

The smaller bow on the Homelite is what is known as a clearing bow, they were very popular with Christmas tree farmers.

Bowcomparison_zps0314074b.jpg

Here you can see the special handle and clutch cover for the bow on a 245.

Poulan245handle_zpsbc1bdf15.jpg

Ok Poulan guys, need some help with a bar mount question.
Found a reasonably priced Poulan Pro 24inch .050guage with 84 drive link count bar and am wondering if this bar would fit a large mount Husqvarna.
part# 952-044564 if that helps any. I was thinking some of the poulans and huskies interchange---small mount anyway.
Thanks, Ron

Ok Poulan guys, need some help with a bar mount question.
Found a reasonably priced Poulan Pro 24inch .050guage with 84 drive link count bar and am wondering if this bar would fit a large mount Husqvarna.
part# 952-044564 if that helps any. I was thinking some of the poulans and huskies interchange---small mount anyway.
Thanks, Ron
That bar is a small mount K041. Pretty rare to see now a days. Not many saws that can use that bar. It was made for the PP380, it would fit a PP330 also but I wouldn't put it on it. Too much bar.

Back