Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if this question has been asked before and it's kind of a broad question, but what is everyone's "favorite" Poulan saw. Whether it's to use, sentimental reason, or cause it's just plain cool.

And Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow to everyone!

Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving too.. Thats a tough question for a true Poulan guy to answer. There are some that I use more than others, but doesn't make them my favorite. Kinda depends on what your working on at the time I guess. The saw I use more than any other is a Poulan 4000. So guess I would have to put it up at or near the top.

For pure enjoyment of power, tourq, low end grunt, whatever you want to call it, when working on bigger trees, 2' 3' 4' diameter etc. I would clearly vote for one of the bigger counter vibes. 4200 or 5200.

For its old school look, sound, power and light weight, I would vote 245. For a more "modern" series of saws like the PP super 380, 330 etc. sure have their place in light weight handy, powerful firewood makers, ain't bad either. But the saws I would be lost without, would be the 1980's midsize counter vibes. 3400, 3700, 4000. I have cut more wood with those, than all of the rest of my saws combined.

So that takes me back to the beginning, lol If I had to pick just ONE saw, it would be a good 4000. With a 20" bar and a 24" bar to use on some bigger stuff. They don't make quite the power or torq of the reed valve induction Poulans, but I can live with it..:)

Gregg,

Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving too.. Thats a tough question for a true Poulan guy to answer. There are some that I use more than others, but doesn't make them my favorite. Kinda depends on what your working on at the time I guess. The saw I use more than any other is a Poulan 4000. So guess I would have to put it up at or near the top.

For pure enjoyment of power, tourq, low end grunt, whatever you want to call it, when working on bigger trees, 2' 3' 4' diameter etc. I would clearly vote for one of the bigger counter vibes. 4200 or 5200.
Entire nuts
For its old school look, sound, power and light weight, I would vote 245. For a more "modern" series of saws like the PP super 380, 330 etc. sure have their place in light weight handy, powerful firewood makers, ain't bad either. But the saws I would be lost without, would be the 1980's midsize counter vibes. 3400, 3700, 4000. I have cut more wood with those, than all of the rest of my saws combined.

So that takes me back to the beginning, lol If I had to pick just ONE saw, it would be a good 4000. With a 20" bar and a 24" bar to use on some bigger stuff. They don't make quite the power or torq of the reed valve induction Poulans, but I can live with it..:)

Gregg,
Tend to have the same sentiments as you Gregg. Used my old 3400 to fell and buck a lot of wood.

Tend to have the same sentiments as you Gregg. Used my old 3400 to fell and buck a lot of wood.

Hi Bob! Yep, I bought a 3400 brand new in 1986. Was the only saw I owned for years. Countless cords of wood were made with that saw to heat this old farm house for about 20 years. Never once did that saw EVER give me any problem. Not once.. I havn't used it for several years now, got so many others to choose from. LOL So the lowly 3400 would have to be my sentimental choice for sure.

Gregg,

Hi Bob! Yep, I bought a 3400 brand new in 1986. Was the only saw I owned for years. Countless cords of wood were made with that saw to heat this old farm house for about 20 years. Never once did that saw EVER give me any problem. Not once.. I havn't used it for several years now, got so many others to choose from. LOL So the lowly 3400 would have to be my sentimental choice for sure.

Gregg,
Same here. Still have my old 3400 I bought around 1980 or so at an Agway. Re ringed it a couple years ago but haven't used it since. Maybe I will , just for old time sake when I get back to Vermont, where I keep it.

That's cool you guys have original 3400's purchased by you or a family member!

I cleaned the carb on the 245A I just got, put fuel in it and it fired right up. It will run with the choke on but as soon as you take off the choke it will run for a second and then shut off. Idle and carb screws are set as they should be. Just need a carb kit?

Got the bench cleared off for this one today. Fires right up but won't stay running. Top end looks real nice and the compression is there, albeit the typical lower than you'd expect compression for a 3400. $15 from my local Husky dealer as a trade in on a 455 Rancher. Yeah, I know....that's just flat out crazy on every level!!!

1129141123a.jpg

1129141122a.jpg

1129141123.jpg

first saw I ever ran was 4200, back when they were new. found a nice example abt. 1 1/2 yr ago... so it is sentimental fav...
View attachment 382789
Got the bench cleared off for this one today. Fires right up but won't stay running. Top end looks real nice and the compression is there, albeit the typical lower than you'd expect compression for a 3400. $15 from my local Husky dealer as a trade in on a 455 Rancher. Yeah, I know....that's just flat out crazy on every level!!!

Nice saws guys, great deal Poge!

Hey guys. Trying to source a cylinder for this bad boy
26d549e69398ffcc2ee12bc0e5ed0221.jpg
poulan pro 505 (jonsered 2083)

Back