Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep that fuel tank top gasket clean and run a small amount of RTV around it before putting it back on. They are very hard to find

And make a template or cut a spare (or both) from tracing the good gasket first! But I wouldn't necessarily use a sealant if the gasket is still good. I'd give it a mild soak in some mix (then air dry it) to keep it from becoming brittle..., or consider using a better sealant designed for the purpose like Motoseal, Yamabond, Dirko, or even Indian Head sealant if the gasket requires sealing. That sorta needs to be assessed on an individual case basis. A 'no gasket' solution could possibly be RedKote if the gasket is shot, but is a bit pricey for just a one tank application.

However you go with it, that's one sweet 245A, my man. Congrats on the score.

And make a template or cut a spare (or both) from tracing the good gasket first! But I wouldn't necessarily use a sealant if the gasket is still good. I'd give it a mild soak in some mix (then air dry it) to keep it from becoming brittle..., or consider using a better sealant designed for the purpose like Motoseal, Yamabond, Dirko, or even Indian Head sealant if the gasket requires sealing. That sorta needs to be assessed on an individual case basis. A 'no gasket' solution could possibly be RedKote if the gasket is shot, but is a bit pricey for just a one tank application.

However you go with it, that's one sweet 245A, my man. Congrats on the score.

Thanks for info and suggestions. I think the gasket is in pretty good shape, I put the lid back on last night but I can look again to make sure.
I'm really excited on the condition of this saw, just need to clean the carb and put some mix in it and see how she runs!

Keep that fuel tank top gasket clean and run a small amount of RTV around it before putting it back on. They are very hard to find

Those 306/245 cork tanks gaskets are still readily available, and I'd suggest replacing it. You can also use nitrile or Viton square cord "O-ring" stock from McMaster Carr. Cut it at an angle for a splice, and use a dab of Motoseal at the joint when you put the lid on. Don't use RTV, or other ""I have a potty mouth"" sealants for liquid gasoline.

Blk05crew, that is one nice 245. I have a spare used oiler push button I'll send you for just the shipping, PM your mailing specs & I'll mail it next week.

Hotshot, can you provide a dealer for the lid gasket? I gave my only one to a member here a few years back, also I have one set of Set clips if you need a measurement

Anyone I'd these for me? I think the throttle rods are 5200
0c87920ae0254fd61b907d8d65e78d71.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417018522372.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417018522372.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 6
Those 306/245 cork tanks gaskets are still readily available, and I'd suggest replacing it. You can also use nitrile or Viton square cord "O-ring" stock from McMaster Carr. Cut it at an angle for a splice, and use a dab of Motoseal at the joint when you put the lid on. Don't use RTV, or other ""I have a potty mouth"" sealants for liquid gasoline.

Blk05crew, that is one nice 245. I have a spare used oiler push button I'll send you for just the shipping, PM your mailing specs & I'll mail it next week.

Thanks, I appreciate it! Also, I appreciate the offer on the button, that's very generous but I went to Saw Salvage's website and he had one for $3 bucks so I swooped that up. Should be here by
the weekend:)

Hers a few more pics of the 245A after I got to look it over a bit more tonight.

Tag is still in tact under the flyer cover.
View attachment 381935
Air filter looks awesome.
View attachment 381936
A couple inside pics.
View attachment 381937
View attachment 381938
I don't know if this is the original spark plug or not, never seen this kind before.
View attachment 381939
That's like the DA25 I got going, has the original Poulan branded plug and still running it.

I don't know if this question has been asked before and it's kind of a broad question, but what is everyone's "favorite" Poulan saw. Whether it's to use, sentimental reason, or cause it's just plain cool.

And Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow to everyone!

Just wanted to share my Poulan progression, not entirely sure how it happened, but once I got my first one, I haven't looked back! I'm sure hanging around this
thread has had something to do with it:)

Started out in August with my first saw that I kind of pieced together, Stihl 038AV.
20141008_230943.jpg

Then after a month or so I had added an 041 and a 015L.

20140919_223532.jpg

And now they are all gone and my saws look like this.
(2) 3400's, 4200 project (not pictured) (2) 5200's and a 245A.
Not as many as some of you all, but I'm happy with the collection so far!

20141125_233812.jpg

Latest posts

Back