Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What determines whether a carb needs just a teardown and cleaning versus a complete carb kit? Obviously if some of the parts are worn out they need to be replaced, but will a good cleaning work
most of the time?
I've rarely seen a bad carb as opposed to one needing rebuilding. Sometimes I find it helps to use a ultrasonic cleaner. I suppose there are carbs that need new parts but thankfully I haven't seen one.

Th
Like this one? If you are careful, you may be able to lift it out coiled and pull the outer end to shrink the coil down and then wrap the end you pulled out. Hang on tight..

That's identical to the spring cover on my PP405. I finally realized the only way I was going to install the spring was to insert it in the cover, flip it over and stick it in the housing. After several tries I got it inserted. Never should have removed it in the first place.

A bit of a relapse today....

I finally wrestled down a local 4000. I swallowed my pride and spent more than I would if it were a rebranded 3400 I am accustomed to in these parts. Regardless, beyond the paint/decal wear it seems to have fairly low hours, 16" bar and an original Poulan chain (albeit fairly neglected). I am guessing it had been fogged as witnessed by the copious smoke when I briefly fired it up.

It has a factory rim sprocket as Tim's nice find has, but is wearing the standard muffler body seen on the 3400's I've got. I was suprised it did not have the side exhaust port I thought to be issued on the 4000's? Maybe an emissions criteria during the particular era in Canada? Compression is certainly more stout than the 3400's I'm accustomed to.

Once I get it cleaned up, new kit, lines etc. it should make for another convincing cutter with the 16".

- Cory
Poulan 4000 (3).JPG Poulan 4000 (4).JPGPoulan 4000 (1).JPG

Really wish I was cutting into a nice red fir or tamarack with the 3400 tonight but I guess a fresh cut on the Christmas tree will have to do haha!

20141201_190914.jpg

A bit of a relapse today....

I finally wrestled down a local 4000. I swallowed my pride and spent more than I would if it were a rebranded 3400 I am accustomed to in these parts. Regardless, beyond the paint/decal wear it seems to have fairly low hours, 16" bar and an original Poulan chain (albeit fairly neglected). I am guessing it had been fogged as witnessed by the copious smoke when I briefly fired it up.

It has a factory rim sprocket as Tim's nice find has, but is wearing the standard muffler body seen on the 3400's I've got. I was suprised it did not have the side exhaust port I thought to be issued on the 4000's? Maybe an emissions criteria during the particular era in Canada? Compression is certainly more stout than the 3400's I'm accustomed to.

Once I get it cleaned up, new kit, lines etc. it should make for another convincing cutter with the 16".

- Cory
View attachment 383493 View attachment 383494View attachment 383498

No emissions criteria on those. I don't think anything is mandated yet but we do end up with new saws being built to US spec's. The muffler may have been replaced or the Skil plant may have run out of the 4000 muffler. I think all my Canadian Poulan branded 3400's have 3700 air filter covers on them. All the rebranded ones have the closed covers except for the Craftsman I just picked up.

Really nice looking 4000 you have there. Still waiting to find one at a reasonable price.

I got one vintage Poulan 361 I picked up from an auction a few months back. I've slowly been cleaning it up.

The whole saw looked like the dirty part when I got it

fafc88f37739721ac45c3394233ab19a.jpg

644d3effa27607fafc9fadcc5d56fb63.jpg

f7605a90017cc9985ce7461715d06182.jpg

9a62ebf97757850375bd9f1a2a74c6f0.jpg

c1ad63da60b5bc53982d792933ba6455.jpg
3ec723720f9b4293d60720af362e3fad.jpg

I give up the search. Nothing in my used bins.

Did you have any luck finding new?

No, but thanks for checking Kevin. eReplacements said they could get them, & took an order over the phone on Monday.

Then they emailed yesterday and said they couldn't. POS way to do business if you ask me, given the fact that I even called first.
I knew they were NLA since I checked the Poulan Parts website.

I haven't given up, some will eventually come up...nails the definition of a dollar job waiting on a nickel part

EDIT-Found them with help from an excellent AS member, S25DA rebuild is back on schedule!

Anybody know what a good running Dayton 2Z462A is worth? I know it's older, the guy wants me to make an offer but I don't really know what to offer and don't want to lo ball him.

Latest posts

Back